How many of you rinse your media (carbon, gfo, etc) with RODI only?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Trying to decide if I'm being super OCD or not, but I only use RODI to rinse media like carbon, gfo, etc. Is this normal practice for the rest of you guys or am I overly cautious?

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rinse mine in RO then RODI. My RO has a lot more pressure so I feel like it does a better job rinsing loose particles off. The RODI is to rinse to RO water off after. No idea if this is crazy or not :confused:

Syntax1235

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use Carbon often but when I do I always rinse with RO/DI. If you use tap water then your carbon is being used to clean your tap water. I'm not sure if the cost of the RO/DI water is less than the reduction of the carbon usability? I guess that depends on the cleanliness of your tap water.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't rinse media like carbon, gfo, etc with RODI. I have extra reactor refillable cartridges, cleaned, filled and ready. I replace it at the same time I do my water changes and flush it into a play-sand bucket... using the ATO sensor light as a monitor, I top-off whatever water was used to flush the media. It's just faster this way.

Last edited:

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally RODI. If don't have enough spare on hand will rinse in my removed water from a water change (being the reason I wouldn't have RODI on hand as its already all mixed up and ready for change)

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm only running carbon and what I do, on a water change, is put the new canister in the reactor and re-route the outlet tube into a bucket and run about 1 gallon or so (until it runs clear) of tank water through the reactor. That's it! Outlet tube is re-positioned and I'm up and running.

ReefNerd76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use tank water during a water change or rinse with tap water I don't want to waste my RO/DI water on rinsing my media bags

Bluefish9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm only running carbon and what I do, on a water change, is put the new canister in the reactor and re-route the outlet tube into a bucket and run about 1 gallon or so (until it runs clear) of tank water through the reactor. That's it! Outlet tube is re-positioned and I'm up and running.

That's exactly what I do except I rinse a lot less than a gallon... typically it takes about 2 cups before it runs clear. Im using BRS ROX 0.8 carbon and its really quite clean from the start.

biggen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tap water for rinsing carbon. Just give the media bag a good squeeze to get any residual tap water out before putting it in the tank.

This should have been a poll!

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had been putting mine in a mesh bag and rinsing in tap water then into my reactor. Now that I have everything on the same schedule I will be rinsing during a water change, and using tank water.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back