How many of you using our marketplace are being asked to pay with unprotected forms of payment (i.e. Zelle, CashApp, PayPal Friends and Family, etc.)?

Have you been asked by a seller to pay with unprotected forms of payment?

• Yes, but not recently

Votes: 13 20.3%
  • Yes, recently

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • No.

Votes: 32 50.0%
  • Other (Post in the thread)

Votes: 2 3.1%

• Total voters

Reef-_-Noob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somebody thinking they are are above all of that well good luck to you and your sales

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea bro it's simple never send a zelle to someone you don't know. Literally tells tells you everytime you open zelle
Somebody thinking they are are above all of that well good luck to you and your sales

Ok, so don’t know why you’re upset about a seller you would never do business with. It’s one thing if we’re talking about retailers and businesses, and it’s another when we’re talking about consumers selling old stuff to get out of the hobby or upgrade.

Let’s hope you never sold something before in your life and never paid income taxes on it because you didn’t have original receipts. Hate to have someone call the IRS on you … but “good luck to you and your sales” anyways.

Shrug

acro-ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I personally don’t think r2r should regulate payment method. It should be a mutual agreement between the parties as to which method works for them. Some folks use one app, some use another. If someone isn’t comfortable then walk away.

I’m personally not a big fan of PayPal but I use it anyway as needed. I think there are instances of sellers being taken advantage of due to system bias in protecting the buyer (even if the buyer turns out to be the scammer).

If r2r intends to impose a mechanism to prevent scammers we should just go to a more stringent post count/join date before allowing posts in the marketplace.

Reef-_-Noob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't want to follow R2R rules doesn't want to follow IRS rules.. I like that R2R has this position or else the site will suffer from negatives such as scam selling and we lose the site. Take your selling ways to another site follow the rules here! You piggybacking your sales off of the back of other people's work! Make your own site sell how you want there! Follow the rules here! 3% fee for convenience and complaining jeez Louise no love lost from me

Phlynamjax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't want to follow R2R rules doesn't want to follow IRS rules.. I like that R2R has this position or else the site will suffer from negatives such as scam selling and we lose the site. Take your selling ways to another site follow the rules here! You piggybacking your sales off of the back of other people's work! Make your own site sell how you want there! Follow the rules here! 3% fee for convenience and complaining jeez Louise no love lost from me
100% agreed. As buyer, I do not care what fee/tax seller pays. It is really not my concern. I am looking for some kind of guarantee that my purchase is protected. If seller doesn't want to pay fee, then build that into pricing model or look for another strategy to recover tax/fees that they have to pay.

Reef-_-Noob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Legit. If we really break it down based on scenario above seller is losing about 70$ buyer would lose 600$ on a scam. Buyer wins so the rule is what it is got to respect it

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you’re ok with paying an original 9% sales tax on something you bought brand new, then when you sell to get out of the hobby, you’re already selling at a $400 loss, then losing another 3% convenience fee, PLUS income tax, which if a W2 worker, can be as high as another 30%+ because you didn’t keep the receipt.

Maybe just take your own advice and have the freedom to not purchase from someone that isn’t using a payment method you prefer.

For the record I’m a consumer and have not sold anything as I’ve just gotten back into the hobby.

It definitely helps that sellers are willing to sell at a lower price point to avoid selling on eBay.

I don’t think you fully understand how the new tax rule works with sales lowered to $600 for the year. This affects consumers like you and me. Businesses will be fine, but the average Joe consumer who needs to sell off to make some money back as they want to get out of the hobby is the ones that get hurt.

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Legit. If we really break it down based on scenario above seller is losing about 70$ buyer would lose 600$ on a scam. Buyer wins so the rule is what it is got to respect it
Wrong, seller would lose original $400 loss from MSRP purchase, plus $18 convenience fee, plus up to $200 on income tax depending on where you fit in the income tax bracket. That original $1,000 purchase now nets $380 after trying to sell it for $600. This is how it would break down with the IRS if you didn’t keep original purchase receipt to prove it’s a loss and not 100% profits.

Reef-_-Noob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mark the thing up so buyer has protection!!! Can't fix scammer so many red flags

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
While I can appreciate people stating their opinions on all of this, the rule here isn't up for debate. This thread is a notification so that people are aware of our rules. For those who wish we wouldn't have a policy, we wish we didn't have to have one either. However, our experience has shown that this isn't a matter of preference for us. It's about making sure our community is safe. Violating the stated rules will result in the loss of marketplace privileges.

1000rrstunna

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lol this has become comical. I have only taken PayPal I've been a member for 10 years here it’s sad that the world has come to this Dudes never even talked to me and labels me as a “scammer” type.
im only stating the obvious.

oh and since all the sellers are always scamming. Make sure to let the sellers know never to ship to an address not listed in the payment. Because the buyer can claim non receipt and get their money back because tracking doesn’t trace to shipping address on file and they keep your goods And PayPal doesn’t care. So next time ole joe tells you to ship it to his work because it will get stolen on his porch. DONT DO IT he’s gonna scam you.

Last edited:

Reef-_-Noob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol this has become comical. I have only taken PayPal I've been a member for 10 years here it’s sad that the world has come to this Dudes never even talked to me and labels me as a “scammer” type.
im only stating the obvious.

oh and since all the sellers are always scamming. Make sure to let the sellers know never to ship to an address not listed in the payment. Because the buyer can claim non receipt and get their money back because tracking doesn’t trace to shipping address on file and they keep your goods And PayPal doesn’t care. So next time ole joe tells you to ship it to his work because it will get stolen on his porch. DONT DO IT he’s gonna scam you.
It's not about you or me. The rules are what they are. It's bigger than us

Gman83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a seller request an unsecured method but it was a while back, when I first joined. I didn't report it because I really wasn't aware at the time what I should do. I guess I got lucky, and everything worked out fine. I haven't bought anything recently only because there isn't anything I need, and the equipment I have works for my setup.

I have looked through the marketplace a couple times and noticed a seller or two trying to include paypal fee on the listing; but, either other members had called them out and indicated they alerted moderators or the moderators had already addressed the situation.

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we should have other options. Gab pay for instance would be great. Not all of us want to support paypal. If 2 parties choose to use an alternative then great, they should be able to do so.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A marketplace forum that makes no effort whatsoever to protect it's users from getting scammed is not going to exist for very long.

SpSDrew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Reef2reef assumes zero risk to the selling forums so I’m not sure why it would matter to them in the end how people pay. The buyer knows there are risk with unprotected payments. If the buyer is not informed or does not look up previous feedback transactions, it on them.

If something does not affect you in any way shape or form, why would you try to control it? Just as easy someone who disagrees with the policies of this website can just leave it and sell elsewhere.

If someone wants to fall into a scan on here or Facebook that is 100% their own fault. Do your research and checks before buying or assume you may fall victim.

If the seller wants to add 3% fee for PayPal fees so what? If the buyer doesn’t like those terms, they may lose a sale. Just move on and find someone else to buy from if you do not like their terms. I could just charge $100 instead of $95 for my item and no one would know the fees are built in or even ask.

Last edited:

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have looked through the marketplace a couple times and noticed a seller or two trying to include paypal fee on the listing; but, either other members had called them out and indicated they alerted moderators or the moderators had already addressed the situation.
Pretty sure there is still a vendor that wants F&F or PP fees!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't care what the board does - it is their to do with what they wish. However, r2r needs to stop saying that PayPal offers protection for live good sales - they do not and they are very explicit and clear about it. You send money for live things and if ANYTHING goes wrong from a scam to a dead coral you are not getting a penny back.

The distinction is too important. People have been burned. LIVE ITEMS are not covered by PayPal protection. DO NOT believe otherwise because a r2r staff member says so.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 115 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.1%
Back