How many tangs really...

How many tangs for a 180 gallon tank for long term maintanence of algae?

• One

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Two

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Three

Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Four or more

Votes: 16 50.0%

• Total voters

Limoncello

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many tangs does a 180 gallon tank need to control algae? Is one enough if you are keeping up on husbandry?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Take the largest at average 8-9" and figure you have room for 6 at least.

U

User1

View Badges
How many tangs does a 180 gallon tank need to control algae? Is one enough if you are keeping up on husbandry?

Just kidding. Hard to say really. I don't think there is a right number because whatever we pick it will be wrong in the end. Fish are all different and when we introduce food to the tank they learn over time and become complacent :). For example I have a Scopas and Lavender tank. Upon first introducing into the tank they both aggressively worked the rocks. Cleared everything and any form of algae to include the dreaded GHA. I was surprised really and was like wow - this is great.

After about a year and feeding sheets of nori every other day they soon stopped. Out of the two the Lavender was the only remaining tang that would actively work on the rocks while also eating prepared food and nori. Mr. Scopas - nope. Just being his/her pretty self and not doing anything.

So I had 2 in a 210 gallon but only 1 of which was actively eating. I do not see myself adding another honestly. Other forms of utility are managing it so really don't see the need.

proxy001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 in my 180. 2 yellow, one powder blue one hippo, they are find, I do supplement with sea weed.

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For eating algae it depends i have 5 and out of all of them my yellow eye kole is the only one that actively picks the rocks and glass 3 purples and a blue hippo they use pick at algae now they just wait for me to feed them

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 in my 180. Purple, orange striped bristletooth, morpho, lavender, and Thompson’s. The morpho and the Thompson’s could get about a foot long, but the rest won’t get that big. My morpho and Thompson’s don’t really pick at the rocks, and the rest do, so I think only a couple would be necessary if all you wanted was algae removal. But I have a bigger tank so I can have more tangs, because I like them.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a kole and a fox face in my 210, both pick all day long. I do put a half a sheet of nori daily but hasn’t stopped them from picking. I had a purple tank that wouldn’t bother touching anything other than nori.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs as algae control in a reef tank is a bit hit or miss, also depends on the type of algae. I’d always have a bristle in a reef tank as they are really good at eating slime and film algae. Best hair algae eaters are usually zebrasoma, though my convict is good too.

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive me but you are asking the wrong question- it shouldn't be 'how many tangs do I need to control algae'. It should be 'why am I growing excessive algae'. Algae, to grow, needs nutrients and the vast amount of nutrient in a tank comes from the activity of the owner- they add the livestock, food, additives and water. They manage the nutrient export.

Therefore you need to ask 'do I have too many fish' (fish poo is a major nutrient contributor), 'am I overfeeding' (rotting, uneaten food), 'is my top-up/water change water of sufficient quality (RO quality), 'are my additives balanced'. Then you need to ask yourself is my nutrient export efficient enough' and 'am I managing it correctly'

By all means, if you want tangs get some but do not try to justify it as an algae control.

Last edited:

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can keep 3-5 tangs in a 180 (standard 6' 180, I assume).

I agree with posts above about not expecting tangs to take care if algae problems. Although, Zebrasoma or rabbits *can eat hair or red bubble algae, and Ctenochaetus will eat diatoms.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have three tangs, Powder blue, Purple and Yellow, in my 320 and have no algae problem. I have to feed them a lot of nori in addition to what ever algae they find in the tank.

It really depends on how you manage your tank, not how many tangs. Think of tangs as beautiful fishes for your tank. They will help some with tank managment but if you do it right, you don't have to depends on tangs to keep your tank algae free.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 69 70.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back