How much carbon?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Johnny C
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Johnny C

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 22, 2020
Messages
108
Reaction score
82
Location
Western Colorado
What state or country do you live in
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently added a carbon reactor. I have a 300 gallons total.. how much carbon should I be using? The reactor will hold 1200ml but to put that much carbon every other week would be incredibly expensive View attachment 2830712
 
I recently added a carbon reactor. I have a 300 gallons total.. how much carbon should I be using? The reactor will hold 1200ml but to put that much carbon every other week would be incredibly expensive View attachment 2830712
Go to BRS Calculator it'll depend on the type of carbon you're using. ROX .8 for example will be 1.9 cups. And you don't need to replace it that often usually. 3-4 weeks. Or if ORP drops.
 
So are you saying that this reactor is WAY to big to be a carbon reactor? It fits 1200ml
 

Attachments

  • 1B2E698F-E7CA-4207-9937-85FAB74057CC.jpeg
    1B2E698F-E7CA-4207-9937-85FAB74057CC.jpeg
    120.8 KB · Views: 71
I recently added a carbon reactor. I have a 300 gallons total.. how much carbon should I be using? The reactor will hold 1200ml but to put that much carbon every other week would be incredibly expensive View attachment 2830712
Follow directions for amounts, but the need to change it every two weeks might be unnecessary.

I typically use 1 L of Marineland GAC (inexpensive) for a 100 gallon fish and invert system and change it every three months. The reason behind every three months has more to do with flow reduction by bacteria growth on the carbon than “using up” the GAC.
 
If you do not fill the container with carbon put some sponge filter in the remaining space. You do not want the carbon to tumble, will cause carbon to disintegrate creating fine particles that may get into your DT.
 
If you do not fill the container with carbon put some sponge filter in the remaining space. You do not want the carbon to tumble, will cause carbon to disintegrate creating fine particles that may get into your DT.
Excellent advice!

If good with scissors, cutting a one inch disc to cap the GAC would minimize the amount of sponge to be potentially clogged with bacteria.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 2 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new