How much coppersafe for a 75 gallon tank

one.reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there reefers! I’m new in this hobby....I have learned since I started, and still learning about it...

I noticed in the past days that my fishes looked with white dots and cloudy eyes, unfortunately I had 2 deceased fishes in the last 2 days, I’m about to start the ick treatment but I don’t know in which level should I keep my tank treated with the coppersafe. Any help will be so much appreciated.

Pd i don’t have any corals or snails.

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R, someone with more experience in fish disease will be along shortly... ;Woot

giphy.gif

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome
Might want to get another smaller tank to add copper treatment, not using your display tank. Kind of sounds like velvet, not ICH....but pics will help & someone with more brains than me will be around to help you soon

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there reefers! I’m new in this hobby....I have learned since I started, and still learning about it...

I noticed in the past days that my fishes looked with white dots and cloudy eyes, unfortunately I had 2 deceased fishes in the last 2 days, I’m about to start the ick treatment but I don’t know in which level should I keep my tank treated with the coppersafe. Any help will be so much appreciated.

Do you have rocks and sand in the tank? If so they will absorb and release copper into the tank, making it a bit more difficult to treat and hold therapeutic level.
Better to start up a QT (quarantine tank) 10 gal or 20 gal for treating with copper and meds.
Therapeutic level for a "chelated copper" like Coppersafe or Copper Power starts at 1.5 ppm up to 2.5 ppm. Hitting the sweet spot in the middle at 2.0 ppm using a Hanna HL Copper Checker to measure the dosing works great. Much easier and more reliable than those awful color matching copper test kits.
Here's a thread with pictures to compare to what you are seeing, treatments and more advice:

OP
OP
one.reefer

one.reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your prompt response, the first fish that died, as soon I put it out of the water I saw a parasite coming out of its body... it was crazy!!! then today I had another deceased fish that looked swollen, lack of color and like bloody mouth.
E5309651-20C6-40DB-B5E0-08CC175A9B6E.jpeg

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your prompt response, the first fish that died, as soon I put it out of the water I saw a parasite coming out of its body... it was crazy!!! then today I had another deceased fish that looked swollen, lack of color and like bloody mouth.
E5309651-20C6-40DB-B5E0-08CC175A9B6E.jpeg
Sorry to hear ☹️

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome to the reef going to love it here!!
lots of fun/info/fun/help/fun....
sorry to hear ..expert help has already responded, two thumbs up,all
best wishes :)

Seffner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
giphy.gif

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I hope you get everything worked out. I wish I could be more help, but R2R has a lot of very knowledgeable people. Be patient as you learn and this is a great place for help. Folks here can help you wade through all the websites and YouTube videos so you can get to the best ones easier. Just keep asking!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rapid death raises the problem of velvet versus ich which usually does not kill quickly. But the treatment is the same, just with a sense of urgency. Freshwater dips done each day can temporarily relieve the fish of parasites that are attached to the fish doing damage. Just need to accelerate the time to get to therapeutic levels of copper.

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome to R2R. Sorry to hear about you losing fish. Lots of knowledgable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed. Hopefully they will give you help soon.

OP
OP
one.reefer

one.reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I have add the copper to the tank because honestly i don't have access to a QT right now, i have the ppm to 1.5, this morning they were looking kinda disoriented, so I thought I had time... but unfortunately now I’m seeing popeye in the rest of the fishes, they’re trying to jump out of the water like they desperate or trying to reach oxigen...I don’t think they gonna make it.... I feel very very sad because i have had this aquarium for 2 years with no problems, and seeing all of my kids dying slowly makes me feel I’m handtied with no option to help them, I’ll keep everyone uptaded I’m how everything turns out.

As well I’m very grateful with all of the Reef 2 Reef community for the information provided to me.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
get some air into tank ,be air pump,water pump pointed at surface ,could help

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%

Back