How much do you spend on CO2 scrubber media?

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 120 gallon tank with 30 gallon sump. I've been debating adding a co2 scrubber for awhile; but always heard how costly the media is. My question is, how much do you spend on average running your co2 scrubber. Please provide your tank size. I'm trying to figure out if adding the scrubber would be cost effective for my setup. My current tank runs between 7.8 and 8.0PH. It's in a basement with no windows, so I'm sure high CO2 is the cause of the low PH.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past I bought the Two Little Fishies brand. The container filled my reactor to the exact right level. The color change was obvious and it lasted about 2-3 weeks on my 60 cube. I was even able to save the containers and put the used media back in for easy disposal.

At some point, I decided to by the larger bag of media from BRS. It’s overall cheaper. Right away I noticed that there was a problem. The color never changed. I called BRS and they told me that their media was designed to last longer and I won’t see the color change as quickly. Problem is, you can’t see it all. I waited for weeks. The only way I knew anything was wrong was my pH dropped back to 7.5. Not knowing when to change the media kinda defeats the purpose. I’ll go back to TLF as soon as this bag is gone. It’s worth paying a little more to keep the pH stable.

OP
OP
Andrew Schubert

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past I bought the Two Little Fishies brand. The container filled my reactor to the exact right level. The color change was obvious and it lasted about 2-3 weeks on my 60 cube. I was even able to save the containers and put the used media back in for easy disposal.

At some point, I decided to by the larger bag of media from BRS. It’s overall cheaper. Right away I noticed that there was a problem. The color never changed. I called BRS and they told me that their media was designed to last longer and I won’t see the color change as quickly. Problem is, you can’t see it all. I waited for weeks. The only way I knew anything was wrong was my pH dropped back to 7.5. Not knowing when to change the media kinda defeats the purpose. I’ll go back to TLF as soon as this bag is gone. It’s worth paying a little more to keep the pH stable.
Did you leave a review on BRS. I'm pretty sure I read it. Either that or someone else had the exact same issue with BRS CO2 media as well.

Wildcats1023

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the brs bag and mine changes color as it's used up. I have no problems with it. I have a 220 and I can usually get about 10-14 days

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 gal system and I consume about 1lb a week. My pH ranges from 8.2-8.6

I buy the 3lb bags of Jorvet brand from shopmedvet. I believe they are ~$10/bag so about 3 bucks a week. They have buckets but there isn’t much savings with the added risk of the container getting air in and exhausting the media.

I see BRS just stared selling larger packages so I’ll run the numbers and see if that’s more economical.

ShadowR55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever tried this product. Wonder if it's as effective as buying from BRS
It’s medical grade so I hope it’s just as good or better. I believe they are all pretty much the same either way. I read other posts where people were using Sodasorb.

OP
OP
Andrew Schubert

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. I think I'm gonna go for it. My corals are growing so slow and everything else is in line. So hopefully this will get things going. I have a bunch of frags that some haven't even grown a single new polup since I added them 4 months ago.

OP
OP
Andrew Schubert

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does soda lime lose it's effectiveness over time? I'm wonder if buying a 5 gallon container would be a waste. I can also get it in 3lb bags for 8 bucks each

OP
OP
Andrew Schubert

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a DIY scrubber or one of the scrubbers from BRS. In the DIY I've seen online, no one mentions adding water to the bottom, but BRS says to add some RODI water to the bottom of the canister. I'll prob go with BRS scrubber, but was wondering what the importance of the water is?

ESH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up one of the ones from BRS. Believe its just the RODI canister they have for other types of media. Works really well. Only thing I've found is that after using it for 6 months the inlet on my skimmers venturi got clogged, but was easily cleaned out. I noticed this as one day my skimmer chamber basically had very few bubbles in it. I have a lifereef skimmer, so the venturi was designed to be self cleaning, but now the tube is routed to the scrubber. With that said, I have not put any water in the bottom of my canister. I suspect this could be the cause of the clog, but don't know for sure if this is the reason or not.

This is how I connected it when I was testing it to see how it worked out. Currently have it mounted behind the tank with a couple of screws. Easy to lift on and off to change the media.
40375573924_60e1822dc1_c.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Andrew Schubert

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you run the fresh air line from the co2 scrubber back into the skimmer cup the co2 media will last longer. I get about a month out of mine sometimes longer.
20181116_230400.jpeg
20181116_230413.jpeg
So if I understand you have the scrubber intake line running to the skimmer cup. And then you have the scrubber outtake line running to the skimmer intake? Is that correct? If so what do you do to keep the line coming from the cup dry? I woukd think it would build up condensation quickly overtime?

Mrx7899

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I understand you have the scrubber intake line running to the skimmer cup. And then you have the scrubber outtake line running to the skimmer intake? Is that correct? If so what do you do to keep the line coming from the cup dry? I woukd think it would build up condensation quickly overtime?
Yes that is right.

It does build up condensation but the condensation is what helps the media last longer. Normally when you refill your media you put some water in the canister that's to keep the media damp. But that dries up fast and when the media dries up it doesn't last long. So by running the intake line to the skimmer cup its pulls in the damp air making the media last longer. I install a ball valve where the intake is if there is to much water I open the valve and drain it out.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you leave a review on BRS. I'm pretty sure I read it. Either that or someone else had the exact same issue with BRS CO2 media as well.
Yea... I left that review. Maybe I have a weird batch or something. I hate that it’s not working for me cause I love BRS. They do so much for us here and I try to use their products as much as possible. I’ll still buy the media from them, just not their brand.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do want to add this..... my hubby is a chemist and works in a chemical plant making all kinds of weird stuff.... he tells me that CO2 media is VERY dangerous stuff. It can kill you pretty quickly. Please wear gloves and eye protection when messing with it. Wash up well and make sure that the kids and pets can’t get to it.

OP
OP
Andrew Schubert

Andrew Schubert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do want to add this..... my hubby is a chemist and works in a chemical plant making all kinds of weird stuff.... he tells me that CO2 media is VERY dangerous stuff. It can kill you pretty quickly. Please wear gloves and eye protection when messing with it. Wash up well and make sure that the kids and pets can’t get to it.
Did you drill a hole in your cup to do this? Or did your skimmer already have the hole made?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 94 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back