How much equipment space do you or wish you had?

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about scraping the premade stand I have and just starting a new one to properly fit the sump I got.

Try to think how much frequently used items and equipment I should plan for? Things you wish you did like power strips on the outside etc?

I know we all make do and learn as we go, but already my 20 cube sump I just order will have 2” over the back of the stand — which has me wondering if I should build a new one - and if so, should it have extra space on the sides of the sump and not just overtop (infrequent items I’ll put in the hallway closet). And I redo the stand maybe I should switch from the 20 cube to a 26” or 34” rectangle?

Malum Argenteum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought an Apex A3 after my classic died. Turns out the clunky EB832 energy bar doesn't fit in the stand my 90g is on.

I built this stand myself, a little bit oversized to be a little taller for viewing angle, and to fit a 40 breeder sump underneath (so had to be 18" deep on the inside dimensions). But with an ATO bucket, sump w/skimmer, a couple reactors, an Apex/couple modules/two EB8s in it, it is full up.

Next stand I build will be larger, somehow.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My equipment area is way too small but it’s all I got.
Trigger ruby cube 20
Trigger ruby top off container 10
Trigger crystal top off 5 for lime water.
Plus all the electrical nonsense
IMG_2588.jpeg

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My equipment area is way too small but it’s all I got.
Trigger ruby cube 20
Trigger ruby top off container 10
Trigger crystal top off 5 for lime water.
Plus all the electrical nonsense
IMG_2588.jpeg
We’ll see even with that you have some space on the sides and it doesn’t feel enough. I just ordered a 20 cube a day ago how do you like it - is access an issue/pain?

My new stand I have just enough length for the 20cube and a 10g ato but the sump hangs over the back by 2” so already I’d have to cut out the upper shelf out for vertical space and maybe replace the panels to accommodate the overhang (it’s premade metal/mdf - or just make a whole new wooden one a tiny bit larger somehow.

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more space you can give yourself, the better. Best thing I ever did was plumb my sump down to the basement. Now I have room to play :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
IMG_3817.jpeg
I only have a tiny QT running in the bathroom, the actual tank isn’t even up yet and I’m already envious of the basement/garage builds I thought they were crazy at first haha

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is a great idea. I am constantly annoyed at how little space I have under my tank to hide away any of the things I’d rather not have put in the open.
That’s what sucks, because it’s hard to have any idea what you’d want down the line - and most stands barely accommodate a sump; so why would anyone think they need more space. Do you use more horizontal or vertical space in it?

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought an Apex A3 after my classic died. Turns out the clunky EB832 energy bar doesn't fit in the stand my 90g is on.

I built this stand myself, a little bit oversized to be a little taller for viewing angle, and to fit a 40 breeder sump underneath (so had to be 18" deep on the inside dimensions). But with an ATO bucket, sump w/skimmer, a couple reactors, an Apex/couple modules/two EB8s in it, it is full up.

Next stand I build will be larger, somehow.
See I was worried about the 20 cube I got because the 34” sump looks great - but if I did that even if I built my own stand, there would be no room. Right now I’m maxed on horizontal length and have no way to gauge what kind of space I’d need down the line.. how often are you crawling in the sump or using vertical space?

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
A few
That’s what sucks, because it’s hard to have any idea what you’d want down the line - and most stands barely accommodate a sump; so why would anyone think they need more space. Do you use more horizontal or vertical space in it?
A few reasons for vertical space:

Installing an algae turf scrubber
Installing a UV filter
Installing a roller mat
Ease of cleaning skimmer

Just so many ways I wish mine were taller. I am setting up a new set of tanks and will be building my own stands for those for sure.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’ll see even with that you have some space on the sides and it doesn’t feel enough. I just ordered a 20 cube a day ago how do you like it - is access an issue/pain?

My new stand I have just enough length for the 20cube and a 10g ato but the sump hangs over the back by 2” so already I’d have to cut out the upper shelf out for vertical space and maybe replace the panels to accommodate the overhang (it’s premade metal/mdf - or just make a whole new wooden one a tiny bit larger somehow.
I’m a relatively larger man so space is an issue. 6’2” 200 lbs. the sump is great been running it 4 years.

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few

A few reasons for vertical space:

Installing an algae turf scrubber
Installing a UV filter
Installing a roller mat
Ease of cleaning skimmer

Just so many ways I wish mine were taller. I am setting up a new set of tanks and will be building my own stands for those for sure.
The roller mat is #1 on my list, either way I have to mod to fit the sump because I had no other way to get in it to clean otherwise - do you use vertical space for hanging anything - like stuff that’s not sitting in the sump. I’m thinking the uv sits outside of it and I saw co2 scrubbers the same but not sure. Starting this hobby feels like wishing you had a crystal ball

Malum Argenteum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See I was worried about the 20 cube I got because the 34” sump looks great - but if I did that even if I built my own stand, there would be no room. Right now I’m maxed on horizontal length and have no way to gauge what kind of space I’d need down the line.. how often are you crawling in the sump or using vertical space?
In the sump, pretty rarely. But on top of the sump I have a sulfur denitrifier and there's just barely clearance for that. Also on top of the sump is a bunch of tools (algae scraper, feeding syringe, etc). The inside walls are taken up by controller hardware, a dosing pump, and 2 10" canister media reactors. I also have my drain hose coiled in there (I use a Python hose, hooked to a PEX line run through the floor to drain, and then automatic refill from a vat of SW in the basement). There's a 5g trash can for the ATO in there too.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The roller mat is #1 on my list, either way I have to mod to fit the sump because I had no other way to get in it to clean otherwise - do you use vertical space for hanging anything - like stuff that’s not sitting in the sump. I’m thinking the uv sits outside of it and I saw co2 scrubbers the same but not sure. Starting this hobby feels like wishing you had a crystal ball
There are many different varieties. A lot of pieces of equipment sit on top of the sump and not in it. Just nice to have the height.

javajaws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is an in-wall and it has the advantage of being surrounded by cabinets I built for a total of 24 sq ft of space for equipment below and to the sides. I also have an area over the tank I can use for light transformers, etc. Not bad for a 110g lol

Back