How much flow is needed during a power outage?

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, but my question is what is proper oxygenation during a power outage? Is it a return pump? Is it 1 power head? Is it 2 power heads? Is it 1 power head for longer or is it 2 power heads for a short period of time? What if the power heads are in the middle of the tank and the top line of my water doesn't really move up and down like a wave? Is that still fine? Is it an air stone right next to one power head so the power head can circulate that airstone more?

I understand the need for proper oxygenation but I don't know how to achieve it efficiently with my setup of 2 MP40s and 2 battery backups in a 220 gallon main tank.
I plug in the return pump, skimmer and 1 flow pump along with the TV and wifi.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, but my thought with the air pumps, that typically can work with flow. But if there is no flow in the tank, what good are the air pumps? The air bubbles will go directly to the top and not circulate in the tank. I suppose if the fish started to realize that they aren't suffocating when they're next to the air pump they might naturally move around it - but don't you need both the air pump to create the oxygenation, and also the powerhead to circulate that throughout the tank?

So what would the ideal setup be? An airpump on battery backup that is right next to a powerhead that is also on battery backup? That way we can actually circulate the oxygen throughout the water?
It really depends on the timeframe and situation. Maintaining life support on a 200+ gallon system for more than the occasional rolling blackout or short outage from a small storm or blown relay station takes some planning.

The battery backups on the market only work with certain pumps and are UPS - uninterrupted power supplies. They are good for short outages and can add some security when you're away from your tank for a day or weekend. They are set up on-line between your outlet and pump and kick in when the outlet loses power. You can also put together a diy backup with a computer UPS or marine deep cycle battery, trickle charger, relay switch, etc.

Anything more and you should plan on a generator of some sort (or an inverter you can hook up to your car).

If a generator is not an option, then have a plan...

I live in Houston and (barring another fiasco like last February), most power outages are going to be in the summer. So I have frozen bottles of dechlorinated water in my freezer to float in the tank if needed (dechlorinated because I'm ocd and worry that they will leak, lol). I have a few battery operated air pumps (Academy in the bait section), and, as I mentioned before, one powerhead hooked up to an Icecap battery backup.
For additional water movement and oxygenation, you can use a pitcher, scoop out water, and let it spill back into the tank from as high up as is reasonable.

I do have a generator, but depending on the situation, have used all of the above when my power was out.
(And in February, I wrapped my sleeping bag around the tank for insulation... Luckily my power wasn't out for more than 4 hours)

Back