How much is too much flow?

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking tank!

You're barebottom, so that makes it better for going high flow. I guess the key is how does your anemone like that much flow, and are your LPS staying extended. A couple of your fish look a little shell shocked, but they will figure out where to stay to be where they want with flow...

Really depends on what you are trying to do with the tank. I know a lot of SPS prefer that much flow. I would think with the heavy LPS in there, it might be a bit much for all day... Maybe a few cycles up that high..

OP
OP
Mike Arnold

Mike Arnold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking tank!

You're barebottom, so that makes it better for going high flow. I guess the key is how does your anemone like that much flow, and are your LPS staying extended. A couple of your fish look a little shell shocked, but they will figure out where to stay to be where they want with flow...

Really depends on what you are trying to do with the tank. I know a lot of SPS prefer that much flow. I would think with the heavy LPS in there, it might be a bit much for all day... Maybe a few cycles up that high..

Awesome answer. That is the kind of info I was looking for. I never intended to have a lot of lps, but I was waiting until my tank was established before I attempted sps. I lost a trial birds nest earlier, but it was because of some inconsistent water parameters resulting from a full tank move. Everything is stable now, so I think I'm going to start adding some sps corals. The current schedule only has that high flow from noon to 3:00pm; everything settles down a little after that. My only other concern at this point is PAR. I don't have anyway of monitoring it right now, and I'm not sure about by lighting schedule.

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell what is moving more, the flow or the camera.

Seem good to me. If you notice your fish getting beat up against rocks or corals/anemone getting beat up/ripped or retracted then I would say too much. I like a lot of flow too so looks ok to me.

OP
OP
Mike Arnold

Mike Arnold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell what is moving more, the flow or the camera.

Seem good to me. If you notice your fish getting beat up against rocks or corals/anemone getting beat up/ripped or retracted then I would say too much. I like a lot of flow too so looks ok to me.

This response made me laugh ;-D. yes, my cinematography skills may need a little work. The fish are not getting beat-up; they are fat and happy. I don't know why, but they act like that whenever I'm near the display, unless I'm feeding them. Most of them have been in that tank for over a year.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 48 33.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 29 20.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 27 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back