How much is Yellow tang in your lfs?

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too much. LOL. The problem is that when only one company has a monopoly on any commodity or service, they can raise the price to however high they want. Somebody else like ORA, Vossen, or Bali Aquarich needs to breed them. Then the price will go down. Cheap wild caught specimens appearing on the market will also cause captive bred prices to drop. My LFS has BIOTA babies for sale at 150 dollars.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a Yellow Tang that cost me $1,200, a Gem Tang that cost me $1,600 and a Purple Tang that cost me $500. Yes that is crazy money, but they were the three "must have" fish for me in my upcoming system. They are all currently getting to know each other in QT and behaving surprisingly well.

Gem Tang - price range is approximately $1,500 - $2,500
Purple Tang - price range is approximately $300 - $600

Another cracker for you would be Flame Angles, I just paid $650 for one! Insanity!

A lot of people are investing those figures in show piece fish now, and as such the sacristy and lack of availability due to import restrictions has driven the price up exponentially in the past 3 years.
The prices you're paying, are rediculous. Are they all gold plated?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally agree beautiful fish!

We're do you live that's insane!

Gems you can get for $999, usually hover on the $1200 mark
Purples $300, they have dropped in price
Flame angels no more then $350
But yeah our yellow tangs sadly expensive :(

This is aus pricing

Happy reefing
I'm in the Los Angeles area. I can get gems all day at $399. Purple's $129 and Flame angels are still $80.

Rainbow Aquarium and Pond.

I don't see anything but the ghost biotas at any of the stores I frequent.

bstodds15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caught this interesting discussion on fb- how much are your local fish stores currently charging for yellow tangs? Love to hear your feed back:
Your city/state/country, yellow tang price (USD), are they wild or biota captive bred, and what size?

I am in WI and no lfs has any yellow tangs (that I know of) right now. Found some biota captive bred ones in Chicago couple weeks back for $150 each at 2”.
Just a survey for data not soliciting opinions on trade politics.
Where in chicago? I have 3 stores I typically go to on the north side - only 1 has had yellow tangs and they’ve been the biotas. Think they were charging $150+ for little baby ones, like 2”.

bstodds15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the Los Angeles area. I can get gems all day at $399. Purple's $129 and Flame angels are still $80.

Rainbow Aquarium and Pond.

I don't see anything but the ghost biotas at any of the stores I frequent.
$80 for a flame angel still?? I’m jealous…
Last one I saw was listed for like $200.

I saw today a store had a tiny Long Nose Hawk and they wanted $150 for it…

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$80 for a flame angel still?? I’m jealous…
Last one I saw was listed for like $200.

I saw today a store had a tiny Long Nose Hawk and they wanted $150 for it…
Yessir. I believe they had four or five flames last weekend.

I'm not sure of the going rate on long nose hawks but that does seem high.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only yellow tangs around here are the occasional aquarium break down turn ins going $300+.
Flame angels still around $80-$100

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing is, we can easily lower prices. If we just don't buy fish for a month as a community, prices will plummet. The same applies for coral, equipment, and the glass boxes themselves. The consumer could control the market.
That's not how it really works. If every member of reef to reef did not buy a fish in the month of June, there may be a supply bump, but there would also be a repressed demand bump as well.

Factoring the terrible state of supply lines and that many fish that would have been taken out of the supply chain and medicated back to health, have now died in holding pens causing cost of goods sold to go up.

Your local LFS and distributors aren't going to eat that cost, and collectors will not stop collecting.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing is, we can easily lower prices. If we just don't buy fish for a month as a community, prices will plummet. The same applies for coral, equipment, and the glass boxes themselves. The consumer could control the market.
Yeah well it’s not easy as it sounds.
You and I might find these prices ridiculous but I am sad to say that many others don’t mind it. I mean look at the prices of 1 inch frags online. if there is no one buying them, they wouldn’t be asking for these crazy prices.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah well it’s not easy as it sounds.
You and I might find these prices ridiculous but I am sad to say that many others don’t mind it. I mean look at the prices of 1 inch frags online. if there is no one buying them, they wouldn’t be asking for these crazy prices.
And supplier prices aren’t helping either, Indonesian locals are seeing how much their corals are retailing for and asking for higher prices. According to my lfs here in the UAE, it’s becoming cheaper for him to source corals from Australia than from Indonesia. Last time he even ordered a shipment from aqua SD, can you imagine your supplier being a retail store?
I want to force myself to believe it’s all because of covid and prices are gonna drop but it seems like it’s far from that route.

Cool tangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And supplier prices aren’t helping either, Indonesian locals are seeing how much their corals are retailing for and asking for higher prices. According to my lfs here in the UAE, it’s becoming cheaper for him to source corals from Australia than from Indonesia. Last time he even ordered a shipment from aqua SD, can you imagine your supplier being a retail store?
I want to force myself to believe it’s all because of covid and prices are gonna drop but it seems like it’s far from that route.
Sadly freight costs have gone up here in Australia as well although we are lucky to have access to the reefs locally. Sounds like customs can also be painful at times and shipments can be lost

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to come to Lafayette, IN they are selling Yellow Tangs for less than $100. Aquarium World. I can't remember the exact figure, but I know I was extremely surprised. I did not inquire into the wild/captive bred. It looked about 2-3 inches in length.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to come to Lafayette, IN they are selling Yellow Tangs for less than $100. Aquarium World. I can't remember the exact figure, but I know I was extremely surprised. I did not inquire into the wild/captive bred. It looked about 2-3 inches in length.
Heck that might be worth a drive from Ohio lol

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(765) 447-7371 definitely call them before you were to make the trip. New owners, which is why the price is so affordable. I really like the store, other than the fact they told me to put a yellowtail damsel in my tank to cycle it. Now it's in there and I'm scared to put anything else in there with it. lol

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back