How much Kalk do you dose daily?

How much Kalk do you dose daily?

• Total voters

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I replaced all evaporated water each day with limewater via ato. That was a few gallons a day, or about 1-2% of the total water volume.

Adding 1% of the water volume in saturated limewater boosts alk by about 1.15 dKH and calcium by 8 ppm.
X2….my evaporation rate..it’s in my ATO as well

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy- I replace all my evaporated water with limewater also. But i can't get my ph where I want it to be. When I start dosing, it goes to 8.3. But as soon as dosing is done, ph slowly drops to 8.0 over the next 12 hours. What should I use to keep the ph up there when there is no more evaporation amount ? I'm not sure if I should use the part b of two part or something different.

That's as expected, and All pH raising steps generally need to be ongoing since the problem since CO2 elevation in the room air and production in the tank is typically ongoing.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy would you mind sending me a message. Would like to discuss this in a message if possible. Thank you sir

I'd rather not get into ordinary tank discussions by PM as there would be too many and others cannot just read them to learn for themselves.

If there is some sort of publicly sensitive issue, than I can PM you.

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am dosing 1,600mL on a mostly SPS frags , 105gal tank. The frags are starting to take off and I am almost exceeding the evaporation rate so I will have to setup the Calcium Reactor soon.

20221004_101136.jpg

las

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd rather not get into ordinary tank discussions by PM as there would be too many and others cannot just read them to learn for themselves.

If there is some sort of publicly sensitive issue, than I can PM you.
I tried adding an air stone and it did nothing to raise ph. So, there’s plenty of gas exchange going on. I don’t understand how the CO2 in the room could be high. Since, the heat isn’t on and there not a lot of creatures breathing in the room. I tried opening the windows and it had no effect. So it must be the tank food

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 1500g system - of which 750g is all outdoors include 2 180g 8x4 frag tanks. With all the exposed surface area even on a cold rainy day we still evaporate water.

During the non-rainy days with normal Los Angeles weather we replace about 25-30g a day with Kalkwasser.

In the summer when the temps go over 105 deg we use only evaporative cooling, and our evaporation can go up to 65g a day - Again all replaced with Kalkwasser.

We have a pH probe that watches the pH of the system and if it goes over 8.35 then the kalkwasser reactor is bypassed and just pure water tops off the system.

Dave B

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy- I replace all my evaporated water with limewater also. But i can't get my ph where I want it to be. When I start dosing, it goes to 8.3. But as soon as dosing is done, ph slowly drops to 8.0 over the next 12 hours. What should I use to keep the ph up there when there is no more evaporation amount ? I'm not sure if I should use the part b of two part or something different.
I have found dosing the kalk when the lights are off helps keep the pH from dropping as much. Mine doses from 0000-0900.
That way when the photoperiod starts the pH is at a higher level.

8.0 for a low end isn’t really terrible.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am dosing 1,600mL on a mostly SPS frags , 105gal tank. The frags are starting to take off and I am almost exceeding the evaporation rate so I will have to setup the Calcium Reactor soon.

20221004_101136.jpg
Another option is just dose Ca+. way less to mess with IMHO

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried adding an air stone and it did nothing to raise ph. So, there’s plenty of gas exchange going on. I don’t understand how the CO2 in the room could be high. Since, the heat isn’t on and there not a lot of creatures breathing in the room. I tried opening the windows and it had no effect. So it must be the tank food
buy a CO2 meter from amazon and you’ll know for sure. Mine can hit up to 1200-1300 if we have people over, if the windows are closed it will run about 800 when the family is home.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back