How much phyto do you feed your tank?

Wasabiroot

FW Convert and now Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 20mL once every 3 to 4 days. System currently has no refugium so trying to watch my nutrients.
However, your dose certainly helps explain why your livestock seems happy. All of the animals listed are aren't the easiest to keep but I'm assuming they like that green goodness...not to mention good export can justify that volume.

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow some of you are feeding massive amounts. I always say there's really no right or wrong amount but density in culture plays a big part in the amount of dosing as well .

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow some of you are feeding massive amounts. I always say there's really no right or wrong amount but density in culture plays a big part in the amount of dosing as well .
I agree with you about density of culture having an impact. I find it interesting that it is often rarely talked about.

If you’re buying the stuff, makers aren’t telling you the density. If you’re culturing your own, most people likely have no clue about density. I know I didn’t until more recently.

I use the density as a measure of when my cultures plateau which helps me maximize my harvest. Typically my nannochloropsis is about 20million cells per ml and tetra is 2million cells per ml.

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with you about density of culture having an impact. I find it interesting that it is often rarely talked about.

If you’re buying the stuff, makers aren’t telling you the density. If you’re culturing your own, most people likely have no clue about density. I know I didn’t until more recently.

I use the density as a measure of when my cultures plateau which helps me maximize my harvest. Typically my nannochloropsis is about 20million cells per ml and tetra is 2million cells per ml.
Nice! Do you use a Neubauer chamber to do the counting? Or do you make use of optical transmission?

I completely agree that the state of culture is a critical information when it comes to phyto dosing. Tracking the culture should also help to minimize addition of unconsumed culture media as well.

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Do you use a Neubauer chamber to do the counting? Or do you make use of optical transmission?

I completely agree that the state of culture is a critical information when it comes to phyto dosing. Tracking the culture should also help to minimize addition of unconsumed culture media as well.
I would like to try the neubauer chamber as it would likely be more accurate. Just havent bought one yet. At this point im using optical transmission which gives me a good estimate.

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to try the neubauer chamber as it would likely be more accurate. Just havent bought one yet. At this point im using optical transmission which gives me a good estimate.
The problem is different plankton size will have different impact on the transmission. Do you have some standards to compare against?

If yes. Then it's much simpler than neubauer, you can even hook up a live monitor.

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is different plankton size will have different impact on the transmission. Do you have some standards to compare against?

If yes. Then it's much simpler than neubauer, you can even hook up a live monitor.
Yeah, i do have standards for comparison. It is easy for sure, mainly why i havent proceeded further with the neubauer.

id only like to try the neubauer cause i have a nerdy streak in me haha :)

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, i do have standards for comparison. It is easy for sure, mainly why i havent proceeded further with the neubauer.

id only like to try the neubauer cause i have a nerdy streak in me haha :)
Did you perhaps measure the residual media in the peak culture? Are the nitrate and phosphate significant?

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you all noticed better reef health after dosing Phyto?
I would say yes. i believe phytoplankton plays a role in the overall health of my reef systems by feeding the microbiome. Its my belief that a healthy microbiome will lead to a healthy system.

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no, ive never gone as far as testing it for NO3 or PO4. Maybe one of these days i will. :p
Perhaps get a sample and pass it thru a syringe filter. I really wonder how much inorganics are we introducing in to the aquarium.

Since you check the cell density and use only the peak culture, that will represent the best case scenario. I would imagine most store bought phyto will have more nutrients remaining.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I add 40ml per day into the refugium of my 100g tank at which time the pump and skimmer is turned off for an hour while feeding coral (RedSea AB+).

MBruun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dozing 12 x 55ml /day (660ml) to the tank and 24 x 35ml /day (840ml) to the rotifiers.
Both are continous cultures.
Total water volume is 700L (185G).
I belive it keep the tank healthy and support the microfauna

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.8%
Back