How often and how much to feed tiny clownfish?

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got two tiny clownfish (less than 1”). I am feeding them xs pellets.
How much and how often I should feed them to make sure they get enough food in their growing years? :)

thanks

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much and how often I should feed them to make sure they get enough food in their growing years? :)

thanks
So I’ve heard their stomachs are the size of their eyeball I feed spectrum pellets twice a week. You don’t wanna over feed they will catch pellets and if too big they will soften them up by sucking them In and spitting them out repeatedly That being said you would be okay feeding once to twice a week.

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve heard their stomachs are the size of their eyeball I feed spectrum pellets twice a week. You don’t wanna over feed they will catch pellets and if too big they will soften them up by sucking them In and spitting them out repeatedly That being said you would be okay feeding once to twice a week.
Probably switch up their diet and feed brine shrimp or mysis cut a half or quarter size cube and thaw it in ro water or tank water and toss it in

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably switch up their diet and feed brine shrimp or mysis cut a half or quarter size cube and thaw it in ro water or tank water and toss it in
I think they are too small for mysis or brine shrimp cube. They are really tiny. Smaller than my thumb nail. I am feeding TDO pellets

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start them off with flakes and feed several small feedings per day. Flakes are good cause you can crunch them up into bits they can actually eat. I feed my baby clowns both flakes and frozen. I buy the saltwater multi pack that has 4 different foods in it and dissolve a cube of each into a small container of tank water. I add a teaspoonful or so into each tank twice a day. The baby clowns eat the brine shrimp no problem.

OP
OP
canadianeh

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start them off with flakes and feed several small feedings per day. Flakes are good cause you can crunch them up into bits they can actually eat. I feed my baby clowns both flakes and frozen. I buy the saltwater multi pack that has 4 different foods in it and dissolve a cube of each into a small container of tank water. I add a teaspoonful or so into each tank twice a day. The baby clowns eat the brine shrimp no problem.
Do you turn off pump and flow? Do you siphon left over food? I only have the two fish with no CUC in tank.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spirulina brine shrimp would be perfect for them. Mine love it. Feed once daily with just a fraction of the cube. Usually what they can eat in a minute or so

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received two Goldlined Rabbit fish (that can grow to 17” in the wild). Incredibly, they arrived at barely 1”. These are the most mini-micro-fish I have ever owned, but I have them eating. :)

I take a few ounces of their tank water and dissolve brine shrimp, 2 times a day, and the same with flake-crumbs once a day. Then pour it in. I found that if the flow is off, the food often sank and they hid under rocks, or at the far end of the tank, and never saw it. With the flow on, however, it swirled around and they chased and at it in a more natural way. But watch the feedings so you can tell whether you are using more than can be eaten (= tank pollution). Best wishes!

B33B9C3D-F0FF-4A8B-ACFC-E867E97708EB.jpeg

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You only feed your fish twice a week?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my little clownfish once a day. I tried to feed twice per day but algae grew and personally I found it unneccessary, the fish were eating just because there was food available. I find they are fine and happy with food once a day, I try to change the food every day (pellets, live baby brine shrimp, reef frenzy, frozen mysis)

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You only feed your fish twice a week?
I feed my 2 fish twice a week yeah and also feed my coral mysis along with reef roids once to twice a week as well. Whatever coral that doesn’t get all the food the clown and wrasse get what’s left

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are a couple of dry foods (.5mm &1mm) I have had success with raising my baby clowns. Hikari makes a frozen mysis shrimp cube pack that has smaller shrimp. If you find they are too big take a frozen cube and with a razor blade slice the shrimp cube into bite size pieces until your fish are big enough to handle the whole shrimp. If you want them to grow fast feed many small servings per day. When I grow mine up for sale I would try to feed 6X per day. Only what they could consume before any food would reach the bottom. Good luck with those beauties.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 48

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

thanks
I am soon getting similar size (depending on LCFS). I will be feeding my new fish... flakes.... my daughter had a whole bunch of milk before we fed solids so I will treat fish in the same way. Pellets are to hard and take time to break down and absorb water in the process (which makes pellets swell )
I will stick to fishy flakes

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got my 2 clowns about 6 weeks ago, they were only about 2 cm in length. I started them straight off on PE Mysis that I chopped up a bit to make it smaller. They loved it and now receive a daily diet of PE Mysis, Hikari spirulina brine, PE Calanus and Reef Frenzy nano which I just got. I also tried the PE pellets in the 1mm size and while they will eat it, it aint their favourite LOL. Didn't try flakes.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I got my 2 clowns about 6 weeks ago, they were only about 2 cm in length. I started them straight off on PE Mysis that I chopped up a bit to make it smaller. They loved it and now receive a daily diet of PE Mysis, Hikari spirulina brine, PE Calanus and Reef Frenzy nano which I just got. I also tried the PE pellets in the 1mm size and while they will eat it, it aint their favourite LOL. Didn't try flakes.
Do you have corals to feed

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 29 55.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 7.7%
Back