Votes: 2 2.2%

• Total voters

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who keep a sandbed, how often do you disturb it for whatever reason - whether you want to or not?

If you end up disturbing more parts of it than others, feel free to explain in a reply. Also, yes you can also select multiple answers - if you disturb the sand at different rates depending on the tank, location, age, etc.

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rarely do, but thats bc I got a lot of worms that do it + fishes that kick up a dust storm every once a while.

That said, I do change water every 1 to 2 months and if I see too much detritus accumulating in any dead spots I would deep syphon an area.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As least as possible, I want my micro-fauna in the sand not floating in the water column or down the drain.

That being said, over months, detritus can build up so about twice per year, i vacumn 25% of the sand lightly every two weeks till I’ve done all of it.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do when I move stuff around. I don't bother it much intentionality bc I have some sand stirrers in the tank.

FBAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As little as possible. There are tons of worms and pods growing in it. I have 1" of fine aragonite and I covered the entire bottom with decorative snail shells to give my pods a place to reproduce before they get picked clean by the fish.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rarely touch the sand, but have a bunch of sand burying wrasses that disturb it every night.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clean about 1/3 - 1/2 of the sandbed at every water change (every 4-6 weeks) using a python siphon. I always have. It allows the creatures who live there to flourish without letting gunk build up.

When I used a DSB (6-8") in the refugium for my eel's tank I left it be, but when I tore than tank down after the eel died at age 25, that sand was NASTY!

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I avoid disturbing the sandbed as it gets the water really dirty if I do. My sandbed used to get really filthy until I got a tiger pistol shrimp, and now he stirs it every night keeping the detritus from settling. My nassarius snails also do a pretty good job of cleaning things.

Mydoghasfleas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do daily, but my sand bed is very thin. It doesn’t even really cover the entire bottom because the flow pushes it off the glass lol. But almost everyday I disturb at least a small portion of the sand to kick up detritus.

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
at water changes which is ever other week , i use a turkey baster and blow on the sand bed, than vacuum during water change

Andy D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who keep a sandbed, how often do you disturb it for whatever reason - whether you want to or not?

If you end up disturbing more parts of it than others, feel free to explain in a reply. Also, yes you can also select multiple answers - if you disturb the sand at different rates depending on the tank, location, age, etc.
I have 4 gobys and a few stars that are constantly turning my sandbed over, little and often is what im getting I guess haha

OP
OP
Azedenkae

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the responses! Sounds like most of everyone has different live stock that sifts through the sand, but looks like when one vacuums the sand (or if at all) varies quite a bit. Very interest. ^_^

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep deeper beds >4" and rely on sand sifting starfish and conchs to turn it over for me. I also have an LTA that likes to leave craters when it decides to move.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back