How often do you feed your snowflake eel?

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what would be the ideal diet for an aquarium resident?

Whatever is on sale at the seafood deli at the market. Variety is key. I used to go to the market with a piece of paper outlining all the basics of what one would fine. I made sure to select food that complemented each other. Like, yellowfin is high in fat, but low in vitamin C. Clams are low in protein, but high in vitamin C. Clams are also high in thiaminase, so you'll need something high in thiamine to combat that.

This sheet is just ooooold, but I'm putting together a new one that will also contain notations of which are high in thiaminase, which will go rancid faster, etc etc and will include some freshwater varieties and things like that.

I also feed my fish fruit on a regular basis. It's hard to get stable antioxidants in them. I've fed them foods such as eggs, as well.

graph.jpg

Mfreddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. That's quite a list. Do you use Selcon or garlic?

OP
OP
Tommy's Reef

Tommy's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever is on sale at the seafood deli at the market. Variety is key. I used to go to the market with a piece of paper outlining all the basics of what one would fine. I made sure to select food that complemented each other. Like, yellowfin is high in fat, but low in vitamin C. Clams are low in protein, but high in vitamin C. Clams are also high in thiaminase, so you'll need something high in thiamine to combat that.

This sheet is just ooooold, but I'm putting together a new one that will also contain notations of which are high in thiaminase, which will go rancid faster, etc etc and will include some freshwater varieties and things like that.

I also feed my fish fruit on a regular basis. It's hard to get stable antioxidants in them. I've fed them foods such as eggs, as well.

graph.jpg
awesome

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. That's quite a list. Do you use Selcon or garlic?

No, I don't use either of those. I took a picture of some of the things I use. I pick kumquats from the garden for the fluid to make it into a liquid.... that's what that's doing in the picture. I'm not being artsy-fartsy for the photo. :)

diet-jpg.334553

Mistborn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

graph.jpg
Wow that level of dedication to this hobby is insane. All the kudos to you!

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is a year and a half old and about 18" now. I feed smaller portions every day to keep down aggression. Unless she's not out, then I'll gladly skip a day. She's been housed with Small clowns, a mandarin, and even a shrimp, with no issues. I rotate feeding grocery store shrimp, silversides, and frozen formula 1. 1 of 1 piece each day. For some reason she refuses clam even when dipped in garlic. And I wish she'd jump out so I could move her to another tank because the only way I'd get her out now is to destroy the tank. I've battled low nitrates for sps from time to time because of her size and eating habits. But they are neat to have.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually use Silversides only for training purposes. I don't use them beyond that, but it's because of what they are, not because of any spoiling issue.

• Ocean Nutrition sells Hypomesus olidus, which is a freshwater smelt.
  • Hikari sells Pseudohemiculter dispar... freshwater. At one point a representative said they were switching to another species (another freshwater species), but the owner said it wasn't true at one of the trade shows. If anyone is using that brand with an expiration past 02/2015, could you take a picture of a whole specimen?
  • San Francisco Brand sells Menidia menidia collected off of New York. These are a saltwater variety, but be aware they are loaded with thiaminase.
  • H2O Life was the only one that would not disclose what they have. They say everyone wants what they got, so they can't share their secret. It's rumored to be a Blue Anchovy collected in Vietnam. I list them as a non-preferred food, in light of this nondisclosure.
None of these are an appropriate complete meal.

Hikari did indeed switch their silverside species to Hypomesus olidus. The owner was wrong ><.

Jordan92595

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my snowflake once a day 1 silverside … I feed him when I see him getting active in the tank looking for food and sizing my fish , I feed him and he goes back to being peaceful hidden and not knocking down my corals haha, he likes to do that

Attachments

• A90ED104-F19A-411B-B243-0D4E83A7BE52.jpeg
    A90ED104-F19A-411B-B243-0D4E83A7BE52.jpeg
    216.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 9D3ACA01-56E1-49D5-9C5E-52A4028D4905.jpeg
    9D3ACA01-56E1-49D5-9C5E-52A4028D4905.jpeg
    194.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3246.MOV
    12 MB
  • CC112D79-90DA-4297-BD88-A33BD4DB0939.jpeg
    CC112D79-90DA-4297-BD88-A33BD4DB0939.jpeg
    126.9 KB · Views: 21

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my snowflake once a day 1 silverside … I feed him when I see him getting active in the tank looking for food and sizing my fish , I feed him and he goes back to being peaceful hidden and not knocking down my corals haha, he likes to do that

Eels need to fed on a gorge/fast feeding cycle or they will eventually suffer from digestive issues and/or fatty liver disease. This is their natural feeding cycle in the wild and is determined by their metabolism. Small frequent meals will take its toll within a year to a year and a half. It is best to feed their full on feeding day and give time between feeding for digestion. For more info on eels you can click my name and "find all threads".

YoubetyourWrasse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eels need to fed on a gorge/fast feeding cycle or they will eventually suffer from digestive issues and/or fatty liver disease. This is their natural feeding cycle in the wild and is determined by their metabolism. Small frequent meals will take its toll within a year to a year and a half. It is best to feed their full on feeding day and give time between feeding for digestion. For more info on eels you can click my name and "find all threads".
Good info thanks for the feeding tips/pattern. So feed until full roughly twice a week?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 12 70.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 5.9%
Back