How often do you feed your snowflake eel?

Saltwaterfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one for about 6 months they are very haardy unfotunatly he jumped. I fed him a silver side twice week but noticed he would not be able to finish the whole thing when i fed him twice a week. I continued with this because it kept his agression down with my smaller fish. Id feed him twice a week and keep feeding until he slows down.

FeliciaLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my snowflake eel every 2-3 days. He gets 3-5 chunks of a variety of seafood (clams, squid, scallops, prawns, salmon, and silversides) at each feeding. The chunks are generally about 1/2 inch cubed.

OP
OP
Tommy's Reef

Tommy's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang yeah mine jumped the other day and i found him behind my stand completely dry but still alive lol he had to be out more than a couple of hours for real

Saltwaterfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang yeah mine jumped the other day and i found him behind my stand completely dry but still alive lol he had to be out more than a couple of hours for real
Yea the same thing happened to mine! He was missing for 2 days and i looked under a shirt that was laying on the ground all dried up. I thought fursure he was dead but i stuck him in the take and he swam back under his rock. Unfortunatly he didnt make it the second time.

FeliciaLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and in terms of growth. I got my eel in May 2015 and at that time he was about 9" long and about as big around as my pinky finger. He's currently about 18" long and about as big around as my thumb.

OP
OP
Tommy's Reef

Tommy's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have literally super glued the back of my tank with hard plastic to where there is no way he can escape

Reefer's Paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fed mine a variety of seafood also, chunks of scallops, squid, shrimp and silversides. Make sure to cut up the pieces and not feed him a whole fish. I fed every 3 days unless he looked hungry and would go after fish. I fed until he didn't want anymore on feeding days. Never lost a fish to him but did find the eel in my sump countless times!

As for jumping, eels can survive out of water for some time because they secrete a mucus or gel around them that prevents them from drying up as fast like fish would. Pretty awesome they save themselves and us some money (small bonus to life) lol!

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fed Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I believe it was year 1o when the "non-fish eatin', well fed model citizen" started taking bites out of everyone and they needed to go in their own tank.

Last edited:

Mfreddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine eats 2 silversides or 2 chunks of shrimp daily. I keep thinking ahe'll take a day off but when I feed the fish in the evening she shoots out and swims around the food. She comes all the way to the top of a 30" deep tank to take her food. About 18"

cj in sac ca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had two one was several years old got from a friend it was in my 90 with my smaller one and the bigger one disappeared! Looked all around the tank under around and in my sump! No where to be found.
My little one was only 10 inches or so when I got it last summer now it is about 18 and thick as my pointer finger. Great personality too. I have several locally caught wrasses and pin fish and they get along great and the pinfish is the size of my hand.

Back