How often do you feed your snowflake eel?

Mfreddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding time tonight, she's eaten 21 days in a row

image.jpeg

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fed Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I believe it was year 1o when the "non-fish eatin', well fed model citizen" started taking bites out of everyone and they needed to go in their own tank.
Did you feed it any fish? Frozen, live, or dead, it doesn't matter, but it getting a taste for fish would explain a lot.

Mfreddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I've only been back for 6 1/2 months after a 22 year hiatus. 1st go around I had a 24" zebra that ate 2 to 3 times a week, and let me know when he was hungry.

Now, I have a predator tank with all large fish, and the snowflake. She eats every day, 24 or 25 days in a row. When I get home from work she is waiting at the end of the tank and starts swimming around when I get water to defrost the food. She eats 2 large pieces of shrimp or 2 silversides, soaked in garlic and Selcon. I feed the fish before I feed her, and she comes to the top of the tank every time to get the food.

How much is too much? I love her activity and her appetite. I just can't believe she eats so much!

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I've only been back for 6 1/2 months after a 22 year hiatus. 1st go around I had a 24" zebra that ate 2 to 3 times a week, and let me know when he was hungry.

Now, I have a predator tank with all large fish, and the snowflake. She eats every day, 24 or 25 days in a row. When I get home from work she is waiting at the end of the tank and starts swimming around when I get water to defrost the food. She eats 2 large pieces of shrimp or 2 silversides, soaked in garlic and Selcon. I feed the fish before I feed her, and she comes to the top of the tank every time to get the food.

How much is too much? I love her activity and her appetite. I just can't believe she eats so much!
How big is he/she? If it's asking for food I certainly wouldn't deny it.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't feed everyday. Begging doesn't mean they need food. If you feed them too much, they can have issues with fatty liver as time goes on.

Mfreddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She's about 18". Same thing tonight, I get some tank water to thaw food and she's swimming up bumping the lid, going back to the rocks, and shaking her head. Wife says she did it at noon too. 2 more silversides ripped from the tongs.

She's too small to eat anyone and they bother her, not the other way around.

Mfreddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lion fish, is it a growth spurt? How often should I feed?

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may just be begging behavior. There's a big different in want food and need food. Begging doesn't automatically translate into need. I have one fish this is wild like your eel. I've have them in QT going on 4 months because I don't want to put them in the display with the other fish.... they are just too aggressive in the begging department. I cover their tank when I'm working for extended periods of time in the garage, because they will beg so furiously the entire time I become concerned about rub injuries. I actually have no idea how much he'll eat because I've never let him decide.... he keeps going and going and going until his stomach is stretching and I swear his anus looks like it's bulging. It's like playing chicken and I've lost the game every single time.

My others are more "normal" and they pound the food back at first, but then eat slower and slower until they are done and swim away or simply refuse.

I feed Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

Mfreddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll skip tomorrow and see how it goes. Nice thing is almost all the begging behavior is free swimming. No aggression issues.

Mistborn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine doesn't really have a regular feeding schedule. If I see him come creeping out when I feed the fish, then I drop the feeding stick in the tank and go get him a piece of something to eat. Usually shrimp, but I've got some oysters and squid for him too. I got him about 6 years ago. He was about 7in now he's at least 20in and pretty thick around.

Back