How often do you feed your snowflake eel?

Mfreddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine doesn't really have a regular feeding schedule. If I see him come creeping out when I feed the fish, then I drop the feeding stick in the tank and go get him a piece of something to eat. Usually shrimp, but I've got some oysters and squid for him too. I got him about 6 years ago. He was about 7in now he's at least 20in and pretty thick around.
Did he ever eat for 24 days in a row? I'm talking come out and beg at the lid. Every day.

I love it but she's going on a diet.

Mistborn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did he ever eat for 24 days in a row? I'm talking come out and beg at the lid. Every day.

When he was little he ate every day for a good while, then slowed down. Didn't beg though since my tank is a 125 and he was pretty small when he was super hungry like that. I just eats from my feeding stick

Mistborn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here's a pic of my fatty snowball lol
FB_IMG_1468557987437.jpg

Mike Giddings

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to get a snowflake but I am so nervous about getting one in my reef tank.
We have a reef tank and built an entire PVC tunnel system under the sand for him and he loves it. We got ours 4 months ago. He was 8" and pinky size and now is 14" and thumb size. He leaves everything alone!

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is that?
Here's the response I received when asking about those after seeing your post yesterday from Jordan at wetwebmedia:
Silversides should never be used. They're frozen whole which means if they thaw at some point in the supply chain there is a very good chance they will spoil. Numerous accounts of eels and nems dying due to a spoiled silverside.

I've been communicating with him and Marco Lichtenberger about eels.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually use Silversides only for training purposes. I don't use them beyond that, but it's because of what they are, not because of any spoiling issue.

• Ocean Nutrition sells Hypomesus olidus, which is a freshwater smelt.
  • Hikari sells Pseudohemiculter dispar... freshwater. At one point a representative said they were switching to another species (another freshwater species), but the owner said it wasn't true at one of the trade shows. If anyone is using that brand with an expiration past 02/2015, could you take a picture of a whole specimen?
  • San Francisco Brand sells Menidia menidia collected off of New York. These are a saltwater variety, but be aware they are loaded with thiaminase.
  • H2O Life was the only one that would not disclose what they have. They say everyone wants what they got, so they can't share their secret. It's rumored to be a Blue Anchovy collected in Vietnam. I list them as a non-preferred food, in light of this nondisclosure.
None of these are an appropriate complete meal.

Tankr75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Hey quick question do any of you guys run a bare bottom tank with your snowflake eels. I have one and I'm have such a hard time with the sand blowing around the water and landing on the rock that I think I'm going to remove my sand unless I can find a way to keep the sand still lol. But I am worried how my wel will like it.

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Hey quick question do any of you guys run a bare bottom tank with your snowflake eels. I have one and I'm have such a hard time with the sand blowing around the water and landing on the rock that I think I'm going to remove my sand unless I can find a way to keep the sand still lol. But I am worried how my wel will like it.
That looks pretty small grains?

Mfreddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually use Silversides only for training purposes. I don't use them beyond that, but it's because of what they are, not because of any spoiling issue.

• Ocean Nutrition sells Hypomesus olidus, which is a freshwater smelt.
  • Hikari sells Pseudohemiculter dispar... freshwater. At one point a representative said they were switching to another species (another freshwater species), but the owner said it wasn't true at one of the trade shows. If anyone is using that brand with an expiration past 02/2015, could you take a picture of a whole specimen?
  • San Francisco Brand sells Menidia menidia collected off of New York. These are a saltwater variety, but be aware they are loaded with thiaminase.
  • H2O Life was the only one that would not disclose what they have. They say everyone wants what they got, so they can't share their secret. It's rumored to be a Blue Anchovy collected in Vietnam. I list them as a non-preferred food, in light of this nondisclosure.
None of these are an appropriate complete meal.
So what would be the ideal diet for an aquarium resident?

I love this forum!

OP
OP
Tommy's Reef

Tommy's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been feeding mine scallops and frozen raw shrimp from the store, slicing them up and lrs chunky but only the lrs once a week since its got a bigger price tag on it and live ghost shrimp every time i go to lfs i feed the shrimp pellets in my sump then net them out and drop them into my display constantly giving them a variety seems good and make sure your frozen food from the store is alway raw

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back