How Often to Add Ammonia

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the post I'm referring to from page one...
i know. that was literally youre quote, but what you said, versus what you mean, isnt the same. "live rock/sand" is not unseeded/new rock. bottled bacteria is a feeding source to add bacteria. adding either of those, was not what anyone was referring to when they talked about a new tank and "not adding anything".

".or having die-off. The sort of die-off that comes from rocks being placed into the water that have dead (or dying) matter on them. That matter breaks down into ammonia, which sets off the bacterial growth."

again, what you think youre saying here, is not the same as what you mean. in youre eyes, im sure it does, but that statement alone isnt what anyone else here thought you were trying to say. but again, even if you dont add sand or rock, water still has bacteria. so, either way, youre statement would be incorrect in a normal setting.

and, if things cant appear from nowhere, then you still have to explain copepods, random snails that show up in your tank, etc

OP
OP
DocRose

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
again, what you think youre saying here, is not the same as what you mean.
How in the world can you, or anyone else for that matter, tell me what I'm saying or what I mean? :astonished-face: What I'm saying is exactly what I mean. Stop trying to twist it into what you want it to be, or what you think. Just read it exactly as it is. Word-for-word...what I said is exactly what I mean. There are no lines to read between.

and, if things cant appear from nowhere, then you still have to explain copepods, random snails that show up in your tank, etc
Copepods, random snails, anything else you want to mention... NONE OF IT COMES FROM NOWHERE. Now you're getting off into a topic that I think you might be standing on a hill by yourself. Everyone (that I know on this forum, on social media, in local clubs, and even at LFS's) knows that any life you see in your tank, that you didn't put there, hitchhiked in on something else. So no...I don't need to explain copepods or random snails. They get into our systems either intentionally, or accidentally. Not magically.

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How in the world can you, or anyone else for that matter, tell me what I'm saying or what I mean? :astonished-face: What I'm saying is exactly what I mean. Stop trying to twist it into what you want it to be. Word-for-word...what I said is exactly what I mean. There are no lines to read between.

Copepods, random snails, anything else you want to mention... NONE OF IT COMES FROM NOWHERE. Now you're getting off into a topic that I think you might be standing on a hill by yourself. Everyone (that I know on this forum, on social media, in local clubs, and even at LFS's) knows that any life you see in your tank, that you didn't put there, hitchhiked in on something else. So no...I don't need to explain copepods or random snails. They get into our systems either intentionally, or accidentally. Not magically.
im not trying to tell you what you mean. i am trying to say that what you say, and mean, isnt the same as the MAJORITY. so, what your jumping down peoples' throats about is trivial. you have a much different way of explaining something that means something completely different to EVERYONE else. so, whos to blame. everyone, or you? no one is trying to twist what youre saying, but your meaning of what your explaining is not what the average person here has been talking about. and if you think otherwise, you are then literally telling me what i think

well, as you wanted to say that im trying to tell you what you mean, now youre trying to tell me how stuff got in my tank. all new rock, all new sand (none of which was live rock/sand, somehow got hitchhikers. that would literally be impossible, unless water turned it from a sponge to a living creature

OP
OP
DocRose

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im not trying to tell you what you mean. i am trying to say that what you say, and mean, isnt the same as the MAJORITY. so, what your jumping down peoples' throats about is trivial. you have a much different way of explaining something that means something completely different to EVERYONE else. so, whos to blame. everyone, or you? no one is trying to twist what youre saying, but your meaning of what your explaining is not what the average person here has been talking about.

well, as you wanted to say that im trying to tell you what you mean, now youre trying to tell me how stuff got in my tank. all new rock, all new sand (none of which was live rock/sand, somehow got hitchhikers. that would literally be impossible, unless water turned it from a sponge to a living creature
So you're trying to tell me, and everyone else in this forum, that you put 100% dead and dry rock, and 100% dead and dry sand in your tank, added water, and before you added ANYTHING ELSE...you saw pods and snails crawling around? You didn't add a single fish, or a single coral, or ANY clean up crew, and you saw these pods and snails? That's what you want us all to believe?

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you're trying to tell me, and everyone else in this forum, that you put 100% dead and dry rock, and 100% dead and dry sand in your tank, added water, and before you added ANYTHING ELSE...you saw pods and snails crawling around? You didn't add a single fish, or a single coral, or ANY clean up crew, and you saw these pods and snails? That's what you want us all to believe?
so, now youre doing it again.

i will explain in depth that tells you what i mean specifically.

it was a new tank, and all new equipment. sand was new, out of the bag (dead dry sand). the rock, also a dead dry rock. the man made stuff. the water, well, its water. so, already, there is no hitchhikers. so, unless you are going to tell me that the two fish i added at the start, or have added since, birthed copepods and/or snails (this was before adding anythign that would introduce a hitchhiker), there is no way for the small snails, or copepods to have gotten in this tank. we can also add sponges to this as well.

now, whether you want to believe that, is on you. i know how i setup my tank, and what i do or dont see, so think what you will. but, then if you want to call me a liar on what i do or dont have, then i will feel compelled to tell you what you mean when you say things

OP
OP
DocRose

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so, now youre doing it again.

i will explain in depth that tells you what i mean specifically.

it was a new tank, and all new equipment. sand was new, out of the bag (dead dry sand). the rock, also a dead dry rock. the man made stuff. the water, well, its water. so, already, there is no hitchhikers. so, unless you are going to tell me that the two fish i added at the start, birthed copepods and/or snails, there is no way for the small snails, or copepods to have gotten in this tank.
now, whether you want to believe that, is on you. i know how i setup my tank, and what i do or dont see, so think what you will. but, then if you want to call me a liar on what i do or dont have, then i will feel compelled to tell you what you mean when you say things
Could have come in the water depending on how you got the fish into the tank. I don't know if you dumped the bag of water right into the tank...scooped them out with a net...or what; but yes... Somehow those pods and snails got into your tank from somewhere else. They didn't just appear... Believe it or not. That's up to you; but the FACT is they didn't just come from nowhere.

I'm done with this thread. At first it was kind of funny to hear a few individuals just sound ridiculous and unknowledgeable. It's not even amusing anymore.

Pew Pew Reaction GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
everythign needs to come from somewhere. so, that means that bacteria can come simply by putting water into a tank, by your own admission, and doesnt have to be by rock, sand, manually fed, or anythign that you have been trying to say. glad we cleared that up

OP
OP
DocRose

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
everythign needs to come from somewhere. so, that means that bacteria can come simply by putting water into a tank, by your own admission, and doesnt have to be by rock, sand, manually fed, or anythign that you have been trying to say. glad we cleared that up
I didn’t think it was possible to dig yourself deeper into that hole of stupidity…but you finally managed to prove me wrong. Congratulations. Someone else to put on ignore .

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t think it was possible to dig yourself deeper into that hole of stupidity…but you finally managed to prove me wrong. Congratulations. Someone else to put on ignore .
well, if youre gonna go that far with it....
imagine coming into a message board, to ask a question, just to act like you already know. sounds a little odd to me, especially with the way of phrasing it in a way that only you would be on the same page with, while everyone that comes in, is somehow wrong. that makes literally no sense. but, i guess the one with the simplest of questions, knows the most complex answers.
but, feel free to put me on ignore. there is literally nothing that you can say that will be beneficial to anything that i would ever ask. especially toward cycling a tank

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, if youre gonna go that far with it....
imagine coming into a message board, to ask a question, just to act like you already know. sounds a little odd to me, especially with the way of phrasing it in a way that only you would be on the same page with, while everyone that comes in, is somehow wrong. that makes literally no sense. but, i guess the one with the simplest of questions, knows the most complex answers
Always remember there's a clown in every circus. You tried your best but not worth the keyboard anymore here.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok im curious ,how does a copepod just appear in a new tank set up if using rodi water,dry rock,dry sand and no cuc ,no corals or anything added except 2 fish?
Could it be as you netted the fish out the water it came in,there was a copepod or 2 there and same for snails ? Just free floating snail larvae in fish bag water ?
Generally curious

And as for bacteria I believe if dobt add anything tank will cycle on its own but generally curious how a copepod can be in tank if not added from any off above,if from fish bag water yeah I get that but anything else I'm struggling lol

Edit: man made rock I can't see no copepods getting through ,but even dry dead sand is recycled tank in one form or another so could be copepod eggs/ dormant larvae or something maybe ?

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always remember there's a clown in every circus. You tried your best but not worth the keyboard anymore here.
tis true.
Ok im curious ,how does a copepod just appear in a new tank set up if using rodi water,dry rock,dry sand and no cuc ,no corals or anything added except 2 fish?
Could it be as you netted the fish out the water it came in,there was a copepod or 2 there and same for snails ? Just free floating snail larvae in fish bag water ?
Generally curious

And as for bacteria I believe if dobt add anything tank will cycle on its own but generally curious how a copepod can be in tank if not added from any off above,if from fish bag water yeah I get that but anything else I'm struggling lol

Edit: man made rock I can't see no copepods getting through ,but even dry dead sand is recycled tank in one form or another so could be copepod eggs/ dormant larvae or something maybe ?
could be. who knows. i can say i never actively "added" anything to my first tank, and saw things like this happen. how it happened, i dont know, but i know for fact that i didnt ADD them. mr doc doesnt seem to understand the difference between manually adding something (as has been EVERYONES side of this), versus bacteria making it into the tank from an indirect source such as air, hands, whatever. his idea of adding it is any and every source possible whether it was intended or not, but that is literally a different definition than everyone else was using.

if we look at the thread, its about adding ammonia to feed bacteria, and then later, got into bacteria forming without adding a source for bacteria to be created. this to me, and everyone else that was part of this, means that there would be ghost feeding, adding ammonia, or adding bacteria to a system. not adding dry rock or dry sand. not sure why he is going off of somethign so crazy when he knows thats not what everyone else was discussing. or at least, i would hope he knows. but doesnt seem that he uses standard meanings

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread pales in meanness compared to my last two fine threads (meanness came from trolls lol not me, I was inspecting aspects of cycling)

the why you shouldn’t dose 2ppm ammonia in a cycle thread, and the study of fish-in cycling (thats fish + one of the major cycling bottle bac on day one, no wait, where the suspended bacteria from the bottle do the work which is already the most common method of display cycling, we were studying that with seneye posts and other methods) were both promptly shut down after several pages of example posting and included battles by disagreeing parties.

In perspective these disagreements here I don’t think are bad at all just the evolution of cycling practices in reefing we shouldn’t get too mad at each other in this thread it’s pretty tame.

Last edited:

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO, my mom used to tell me, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.........
The forum would be blank! Maybe two posts, ha I would be able to hear the crickets. What would we do with our time if we weren’t eating popcorn and watching threads going full thunderdome?

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tis true.

could be. who knows. i can say i never actively "added" anything to my first tank, and saw things like this happen. how it happened, i dont know, but i know for fact that i didnt ADD them. mr doc doesnt seem to understand the difference between manually adding something (as has been EVERYONES side of this), versus bacteria making it into the tank from an indirect source such as air, hands, whatever. his idea of adding it is any and every source possible whether it was intended or not, but that is literally a different definition than everyone else was using.

if we look at the thread, its about adding ammonia to feed bacteria, and then later, got into bacteria forming without adding a source for bacteria to be created. this to me, and everyone else that was part of this, means that there would be ghost feeding, adding ammonia, or adding bacteria to a system. not adding dry rock or dry sand. not sure why he is going off of somethign so crazy when he knows thats not what everyone else was discussing. or at least, i would hope he knows. but doesnt seem that he uses standard meanings
Ok thanks for reply, much appreciated

OP
OP
DocRose

DocRose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love how people come into someone else’s house and try to tell them that the target feel of the decor was missed. :face-with-rolling-eyes: If you don’t know the topic of the conversation…stay out of it. Don’t invite yourself in and then tell everyone else what the subject is.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 24 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.7%
Back