How powerful is the Current USA Orbit IC?

aKlevans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everybody,

I've been browsing around looking for LED lights when I found the Current USA Orbit ic. I found it for a great price ($200) but I wonder how powerful the light actually is. The reason i'm worried is that it is cheaper than the Orbit Marine Pro, so it might not be as powerful. I know it says "high-output" on the website, but that's pretty vagueo_O

Has any of you had any experience with the Orbit ic or found anything online? Do you think its suitable for some lower-light sps?

Homestead_Dad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one, I'm pretty new and don't have much for corals in my tank but what I have zoanthids mushrooms and anemones it seems to do OK. Some of them get a little to much light and some of them not enough. I bought the IC light for the controller because I liked the return pump and powerheads. I think they are a better deal than the light. I originally was going to sell the light to someone who wanted to run two IC lights and I still may.

All in all if your looking for a just a light there are better options in this price range I think. But if you want a few control options for powerheads and return pump I got the whole system for under $500 they had a special where you got the powerhead free with light and you may still be able to get that deal on a few sights.

OP
OP
aKlevans

aKlevans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the replies guys

do you think it would be ok for growing some sps corals like montipora?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That guide I posted seems pretty accurate according to PAR measurements people have done.....it includes guidelines for SPS, etc at the bottom.

What are your tank's dimensions?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The plain Orbit Marine is fine for a 12" deep tank, but you'd probably want two if SPS will be your focus.

One or two of the more powerful IC's or (even more powerful) Pro's would also be worthy upgrades to consider depending on your exact plans. (Most SPS don't require lights to be that bright. Clams do.)

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back