How quickly do filter socks clog?

NotoriousENG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In general how quickly would y'all say filter socks clog. I've seen a lot of references to changing them multiple times a week and I was wondering if this is because they are clogged or more so for removing organics? I am in the process of designing my sump which will be for a freshwater planted tank where organics export isn't as important. Since changing filter socks isn't every few days isn't practical for me at this point I'd like to understand how quickly they clog necessitating a change so I can decide if I'll be using filter socks or not.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the micron size of the sock. If you simply wish to polish the water and use a very small micron sock, it' will "clog" very quickly. If you use a 300 micron sock, you'll get multiple days, maybe a week of so out of that sock, dependent on how dirty your water is.

Grill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 7ft 210gal with a 75gal sump with one 7" sock. I do the heavy in heavy out with food and need to change the sock every 2/3 days. Works good because its about the same time I need to clean the protean skimmer.
sock 7.jpg

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In general how quickly would y'all say filter socks clog. I've seen a lot of references to changing them multiple times a week and I was wondering if this is because they are clogged or more so for removing organics? I am in the process of designing my sump which will be for a freshwater planted tank where organics export isn't as important. Since changing filter socks isn't every few days isn't practical for me at this point I'd like to understand how quickly they clog necessitating a change so I can decide if I'll be using filter socks or not.

I double the filter sock timespan to eight days by putting small piece of filter floss in the filter sock when I change them out. After 4 days, I remove the filter floss and get another 4 days out of the filter sock.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or use filter cups with filter floss inside.

Depending on the setup, most filter socks will allow the water to still flow if they get blocked, the water will just flow over the sock, instead of through it.

All depends on time span you want, and how much nutrient break down you want...use floss, use high micron filter socks etc

But yes the reason socks are suggested to be removed every 2/3 days is because the food/detritus starts to break down within that time.

Injoynit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 200 gal tank with 10 fish and feed moderately. I have 4 (4"x10") socks and change them every week (7 days) +/- 1 day.

OP
OP
NotoriousENG

NotoriousENG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm leaning towards running without filter socks and going with a design where the first sump chamber has coarse foam instead. I would then have the downpipe just below the water surface in that first chamber. This seems like it would give me the benefit of not worrying about clogging and less splashing and water surface disruption. Keeping splashing down will actually be pretty important since I'll be injecting C02 for the plants and it gets difficult and expensive to keep a proper level if most of what you put in is outgassing to the air. There is definitely less nutrient export in this type of setup but not as big of a deal for freshwater planted tank. If anything it'll mean I have to dose less nitrate to keep my plants happy.

That being said I am of the personal belief that dissolved organic breakdown is very important in planted aquariums as it has been suggested to play a role in keeping algae at bay. In my last tank (which was a few years ago) I had basically two sets of bio media, one that I heavily rinsed in straight untreated tap water every week and one that I left alone. The theory was that the rinsing would suppress slower-growing nitrifying providing a home for fast-growing heterotrophic bacteria to live without being outcompeted by the nitrifying bacteria. The heterotrophic bacteria would then feed on the dissolved organics while the nitrifying bacteria lived happily in the undisturbed bio media. Whether this is true or not I can't say but I noticed my algae disappear after I started doing this and added purigen to suck up organics. I figure I can do something similar in the sump this time around.

NormanB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found that as a sock ages, it's useful life declines. I typically use 200 micron socks and when new last about 2 weeks. As time goes by (say 6 months), even with through cleaning, which for me is soak in a bleach solution for 24 hours then an extended cycle in the washing machine, time has shortened to 1 week and once in a while 4-6 days.

If I'm going to be away for an extended time (a week or more), I install a 400 micron sock to at least catch the bigger stuff and they last for weeks in the testing I did before leaving.

YMMV

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found that as a sock ages, it's useful life declines. I typically use 200 micron socks and when new last about 2 weeks. As time goes by (say 6 months), even with through cleaning, which for me is soak in a bleach solution for 24 hours then an extended cycle in the washing machine, time has shortened to 1 week and once in a while 4-6 days.

If I'm going to be away for an extended time (a week or more), I install a 400 micron sock to at least catch the bigger stuff and they last for weeks in the testing I did before leaving.

YMMV

soaking in bleach for 24 hours will not be helping their longevity, doesn't bleach only help with whitening the socks?
If so bleach is not even needed, unless you prefer the white look.

NormanB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the bleach soak does whiten the socks, in addition it allowes the traped organics to be broken down and washed away.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back