How reliable are Inkbird temperature probes?

JasonVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a new Inkbird ITC-308. How reliable are their temperature probes?

Trying to figure out which reading to follow between Inkbird, heater setting and a cheapo digital thermometers as they all read different. Inkbird at default target setting of 77F is reading temp at 76.3-76.5, heater was set to 77 previously but moved it to 79 in case the inkbird was more reliable since they seem to be well regarded. Cheapo digital is currently reading at 77.7.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Trying to figure out which reading to follow between Inkbird, heater setting and a cheapo digital thermometers as they all read different. Inkbird at default target setting of 77F is reading temp at 76.3-76.5, heater was set to 77 previously but moved it to 79 in case the inkbird was more reliable since they seem to be well regarded. Cheapo digital is currently reading at 77.7.
I have mine connected to a titanium heater. My unit is plugged into the apex which will shut it down at 81 which has never happened but the Inkbird itself works when it wants

V A R I A N T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be sure to calibrate your Inkbird using a glass of ice water and a trusted thermometer. I use my digital thermo pop. Set the Inkbird to that cold water temp, install, cross reference with Hanna checker. It's been a solid performer for me, requiring no more than .5 degree offset at times.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I bought a calibrated thermometer. All the inkbirds (I have 5) are within 0.5 degree F.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use several InkBird temp controllers and I trust them, but only after I calibrate them.
I would trust a cheap old school thermometer more than any digital one. I keep a few of the old school ones that I buy at Walmart for a few dollars sitting around to check my digital temp probes.

OP
OP
JasonVH

JasonVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much appreciate the answers! Got reminded that I actually have a calibrated thermometer somewhere (recently moved, don't know where half of anything is). Great tip on calibration test and old school thermometers.

Glad Inkbird's reputation holds up very well. Smacking forehead on possibly running the tank on the cool side.. if the Inkbird is on target, the tank may have been running at 75.8-76.5 ish. :expressionless-face:

devocole

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My inkbird worked for 1 year and failed. It was backed up by my apex. If I didn't have the apex my titanium heater would have cooked the tank. When it comes to heaters I don't trust a single level of control. I bought another one and connected it the same way. It is a temperature controller that costs less then 100 bucks. And switched on an off many times a day. Is there a better option at a decent price point?

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Much appreciate the answers! Got reminded that I actually have a calibrated thermometer somewhere (recently moved, don't know where half of anything is). Great tip on calibration test and old school thermometers.

Glad Inkbird's reputation holds up very well. Smacking forehead on possibly running the tank on the cool side.. if the Inkbird is on target, the tank may have been running at 75.8-76.5 ish. :expressionless-face:
I intentionally run my tanks at 76 F, there isn't a issue @ all.

OP
OP
JasonVH

JasonVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I intentionally run my tanks at 76 F, there isn't a issue @ all.
Is it FOWLR or coral reef? Mine is mainly a LPS. You've got me curious about personal preferences for coral setup temps now.. off to read up on that.

OP
OP
JasonVH

JasonVH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My inkbird worked for 1 year and failed. It was backed up by my apex. If I didn't have the apex my titanium heater would have cooked the tank. When it comes to heaters I don't trust a single level of control. I bought another one and connected it the same way. It is a temperature controller that costs less then 100 bucks. And switched on an off many times a day. Is there a better option at a decent price point?

Good point about having backups. Never paid attention to apex- my set up is very simple due to originally being a freshwater tank. But after checking apex out.. dang, seems like a real useful piece of equipment. A little sorry I hadn't thought to look deeper into apex now. I'll keep them in mind as a new equipment in the future. Your reply is much appreciated.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it FOWLR or coral reef? Mine is mainly a LPS. You've got me curious about personal preferences for coral setup temps now.. off to read up on that.
Mixed, softies & LPS. A slight cut in electric cost and the fish aren't any less active versus keeping them @ 78. Downside is that if there is a catastrophe (power loss), I don't get as much time to react. My mindset is that if I can't react, I'm hosed anyway due to dropped temps.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Put them all in a glass of ice water and check they read 0C / 32F

Wizard677

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 2 on 2 different tanks. One needed -0.3 degrees of adjustment and the other 7.8 degrees. Calibrated with Hana thermometer and checked against neptune probe. Other than initial calibration they run fine. I use the 308 wifi version.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 142 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back