How should I upsize?

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
Currently, I have 3 tanks. Two mixed reefs (29 and 7 gallon) and a 29 gallon planted freshwater tank. I really want to sell off my beautiful freshwater tank. (unfortunately… I just do not have the same interest I did when setting it up as I do now)

I am thinking I should do a 50-75 gallon reef system. There is an IM SR60 for sale at $400 with a stand but nothing else. Tank is scratched but in good shape. Considering this or waiting for a good deal on a WB, Reefer, or any other higher end tank with good aesthetics and glass clarity.

As far as lighting goes, I currently have a Kessil A160WE over my biocube and a Kessil A80 over my 7 gallon cube. I think it’s probably okay for the current corals I have to just run those two lights above an IM SR60. I would search for a good deal on a pair of Ai Primes, 360s, or another 160.

If I end up with a tank, first goal will be to sell my freshwater tank. Once I do that I will set up and begin cycling the larger tank in its place. I would like to do a total rescape using dry rock but I really do not want to totally start over. I may scape half the tank and leave room for transferring my rocks over. Thankfully, almost all my corals are not really encrusted to rocks besides my zoas. after the cycle, fish transfer, and coral transfer, I will sell off my other tanks.

The reason why I will not go higher than 75 gallons is because I do my water changes with store water and 5 gallon buckets. I only make RODI water for top off. I find that this is easier for me because I live a block away from my LFS. I think a weekly 5 gallon WC on an IM SR60 should be fine, right? Given that I only have a few fish and do not plan to add anything more than a hawkfish and blenny. I also do not keep SPS, ever plan to, or even any difficult LPS.

What are your thoughts? It will be a lot of work but in reality, I think in the long run, less tanks is just less issues. It’s nice to be able to move things to different tanks in the event of an emergency but I am simply just done with the humming, water sounds, and stress of running 3 tanks. That triples the danger of heater failure, water in electric outlets, maintenance, and so on.

I feel like I am at that point where I originally wanted a mid sized reef tank. But I started with freshwater, added a small reef, added another small reef, and now I feel like I should have just dove right into a bigger tank. lol

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good plan.
Get some live rock now and put it in a bucket with some dry rock and get it cooking.

I would wait for a tank with no scratches. Practice patience now before you need it :)

On the other hand, a great deal is good to jump on before someone else lands it. Your choice, but think about looking at the damaged tank in your house day after day. It might become like the freshwater tank you have now?

If you have a significant other, getting a scratched tank now may be the reason for another upgrade later? :cool:

Start a build thread, and let us see what you are doing. GL

Bitcoin Crypto GIF by CoinCorner

OP
OP
rja

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good plan.
Get some live rock now and put it in a bucket with some dry rock and get it cooking.

I would wait for a tank with no scratches. Practice patience now before you need it :)

On the other hand, a great deal is good to jump on before someone else lands it. Your choice, but think about looking at the damaged tank in your house day after day. It might become like the freshwater tank you have now?

If you have a significant other, getting a scratched tank now may be the reason for another upgrade later? :cool:

Start a build thread, and let us see what you are doing. GL

Bitcoin Crypto GIF by CoinCorner
my biocube is scratched excessively… i cannot stand it. might as well wait! refusing to buy new.

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My advice is to decide what dimentions you really want, and then hunt for a good deal on what you really want. If that tank fits the bill then go for it. Personally a few scratches dont bother me, but is something to thinn about.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back