How small is too small?

PaulKreider

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So recently iv been intrigued by the thought of having a small nano tank along with my 55gal, but heres where the problem comes in. I work at Pet Supermarket, and we have a 2.5 tank made by fluval, called the edge I believe. Its ment for freshwater but it comes with a built in overflow and return pump, filter section like most nanos.

So is 2.5 gallons too hard to maintain a saltwater tank? I have never seen anything smaller than a 4gal at my lfs which was pretty interesting. I think if I had it, only go with some zoanthids and a few shrimp or somthing. Anyone have any information about smaller tanks they could help me out with? Or is this even possible? Never had anything smaller than my 55gal.

Mr. D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be the fluval spec actually. Neat little tank. I had a nano-reef set up with one for a little bit. You'll have to use a different light as the LEDs that come with are really crappy and will go out after a while. I'd suggest going with the 5 gallon version made by fluval. It seems to be made with better materials. It's certainly do-able with the 2.5...you'll need to top off daily no matter what. The 5 gallong version would probably have more space for an ATO sensor if you have one.

Back