How to Aquascape Live Rock

Ben Butler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I wanted to see if someone could give me some advice on how to aquascape with live rock. Is it best to put the live rock formation together outside the tank and then place in the tank or do it inside the tank? If you do the aquascaping outside the tank, how long do can you keep the live rock out while doing the aquascaping? Is there anything else to be aware of when aquascaping with live rock?

Thank you all for your help!

Ben

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best to aquascape with "live rock" in the tank's water. But sometimes you need to briefly take the rock out to drill, chip, or glue together. So a squirt bottle of tank water and a towel soaked in tank water helps keep down evaporation; keeping the rock wet while out of the tank helps quite a bit. If you keep it wet, you can take your time as needed.

OP
OP
B

Ben Butler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the live rock needs to be wet the entire time it seems (or taken out for a very brief time). When doing this aquascaping, does putting in the rock mean a mini cycle needs to occur or are you good to go? What all do you use to attach live rock to each other?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try aquaforest stone fix ....can be used in water as well as out ....did my whole scape with it ...

OP
OP
B

Ben Butler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My big worry is doing the aquascaping and somehow the live parts get disturbed or die off... I just want to make sure I am doing the process right and with the right materials

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My big worry is doing the aquascaping and somehow the live parts get disturbed or die off... I just want to make sure I am doing the process right and with the right materials
You can safely have your live rock out of water for 20-30 mins without losing anything ....you can also cover it with wet paper while you work on it 20 mins is long enough for stone fix to dry ...I've left corals out of water that long on stone scapes I was doing without negative effect

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can safely have your live rock out of water for 20-30 mins without losing anything ....you can also cover it with wet paper while you work on it 20 mins is long enough for stone fix to dry ...I've left corals out of water that long on stone scapes I was doing without negative effect
Really.... I am scared of that kind of.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210224_155005.jpg
20210224_155511.jpg
Just eliminate your perceived issues and fill the tank with saltwater and sand if your using sand then set up your aquascape until you like it. Ive never really been to anal about my aquascape other than having alot of rock in my tanks and placing the rocks to maximize the area for the corals placements. Eventually the corals grow and not much of the rocks can been seen. Here's a pic of my aquascape.

carameldoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210224_155005.jpg
20210224_155511.jpg
Just eliminate your perceived issues and fill the tank with saltwater and sand if your using sand then set up your aquascape until you like it. Ive never really been to anal about my aquascape other than having alot of rock in my tanks and placing the rocks to maximize the area for the corals placements. Eventually the corals grow and not much of the rocks can been seen. Here's a pic of my aquascape.
Beautiful tank there! Are your corals/live rock touching the glass - does this really make maintenance etc that much more difficult?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back