How to be helpful!

John Bolden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is for new people on R2R

If you are new to the hobby and to R2R and want to help others and get them help don't try to give them the answer that you don't 100% know as this may mislead someone. There are things put in place to bring the subject the attention of the right people such as #fishmedic and people like @vetteguy53081 @Jay Hemdal
(sorry for the ping)
Also things like "What are you parameters" or "Full tank shot/pictures of the problem under whites"
(under whites because its easier to see)

It is good that there are many new people on R2R! Just keep this in your back pocket to get the right people the right help!

There Isn't a thread about this I could find but if there is its good redundancy.

Happy Reefing
-John

Last edited:

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you are new to the hobby and to R2R and want to help others and get them help don't try to give them the answer that you don't 100% know as this may mislead someone. There are things put in place to bring the subject the attention of the right people such as #fishmedic and people like @vetteguy53081 @Jay Hemdal
(sorry for the ping)

It is good that there are many new people on R2R! Just keep this in your back pocket to get the right people the right help!

There Isn't a thread about this I could find but if there is its good redundancy.

Happy Reefing
-John
Reef2reef has a library full of information, from years of experience from thousands of people, I mean it's better than Google search, nothing is 100% in this hobby.

Maybe something like, provide pictures to help us identify, description of a coral/fish issue is hard to decifer without photos.

OP
OP
John Bolden

John Bolden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef2reef has a library full of information, from years of experience from thousands of people, I mean it's better than Google search, nothing is 100% in this hobby.

Maybe something like, provide pictures to help us identify, description of a coral/fish issue is hard to decifer without photos.
Yes that too
Things like
What are your parameters and FTS.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I agree, appreciate your thoughts. A site lke This functions on knowledge.
I have read through thousands of messages to learn, I have asked and contributed to those questions questions, I rely on a site like this to provide knowledge, I decipher which is good/bad in my aquriam life and take it from there

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm saying as a new hobbyist that wants to help but doesn't know how to this is a good thing to have.
For instance. 'I found this in my aquriam'
I found this thing looking like a coral, it's weird in shape and keeps moving around, I only have two clown fish, my tank was cycles month ago but I'm using API, I added snails but they keep dying, I added crabs to eat snails as they are pest's what should I do now in a 10g tank, also my lights are 599watts at 85%white all week, I don't have algae yet but my snails will eat it

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

(sorry for the ping)
Also things like "What are you parameters" or "Full tank shot/pictures of the problem under whites"

Happy Reefing
-John
Yes, hopefully I highlighted some of issues but I think I'm doing ok with my aquriam

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For instance. 'I found this in my aquriam'
I found this thing looking like a coral, it's weird in shape and keeps moving around, I only have two clown fish, my tank was cycles month ago but I'm using API, I added snails but they keep dying, I added crabs to eat snails as they are pest's what should I do now in a 10g tank, also my lights are 599watts at 85%white all week, I don't have algae yet but my snails will eat it
For a moment I didn't realize what thread this was, and I saw the lives of a 1000 clowns flash before my eyes.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

(sorry for the ping)

Happy Reefing
-John
I think I'm just going to keep on reading, knowledge is power, people are .... You decide.

Easy :)

OP
OP
John Bolden

John Bolden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm just going to keep on reading, knowledge is power, people are .... You decide.

Easy :)
This Isn't targeted to anyone. I'm sure that you have knowledge but there are people that get into this hobby read an article and think they are an expert. I'm saying for people that do not know what they are doing and want to get help to someone they can do these things to 1. get a knowledgeable person to read the post and 2. get the person with the problem to post the perams and pics so that when the knowledgeable person comes they have the tools to diagnose a problem.

This is to aid the person in need as fast as possible as some situations minutes count. An example is that some one has a fish that is sick with what they think is ich and they are dosing the wrong thing and way too much. If some one follows the steps above they can cut the time down and maybe save the fish. If they don't the person trying to help 1. has to ask for a picture and parameters 2. wait for a response 3. finally diagnose the issue. But if someone pings fish medic and asks for those 1. it bumps the thread 2. they can post them sooner cutting time and saving a fish and a hobbyist.

This is just informing new hobbyists about what to do if they don't know this isn't pointed at a group its great that you are reading and learning hopefully putting that knowledge to good use helping. I hope this clears things up. Maybe I misinterpreted your statement and went down a rabbit hole... who knows.

-John

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm always available to answer any shark related questions. Been keeping Coral catsharks for 3 years and a Grey bamboo for 1 year and I've researched them extensively. I'm not an expert by any means, Jay is the shark expert here, but I know a decent amount and am will pass along any knowledge I can to aid if you're interested in keeping them.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

(sorry for the ping)

Happy Reefing
-John

For fish diseases, this post explains the information that helps us to have in advance of trying to offer any advice:

Jay

OP
OP
John Bolden

John Bolden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For fish diseases, this post explains the information that helps us to have in advance of trying to offer any advice:

Jay
I knew there was something like this.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back