How to bounce a Rhodactis?

King_wizards_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s funny is when you try to sell a home grown bounce. Even with good colors. Some, not everyone of course likes to say stuff like... “well it’s not a true bounce” meaning only wwc of bounce is a true bounce” that naturally bounced. Like thats a thing. Hey all naturally bounce based on random or forced habitat conditions (if that’s knkwn by people that consistently get them to do it) there is no true. Only original. He original is what fetched the money. Ifragits, bounce is every bit as nice as an OG BOUNCE. And should be worth the same price. ;)

Dude that's what I was talking to someone about! It's so stupid honestly I love this hobby but dang alot of things tick me off about it to lol

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a rhodactis from a local hobbyist with a little knob on it. It grew into something like a “bounce”

1A4FC981-A60B-48BF-B85B-CA167543C231.jpeg

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a rock full of orange/blue based shrooms some of them had the bounce. I have no idea what caused it and these have been in the tank for about 8 years under mh and blue led.
7e7c2ecb70abbd280d99d9933a2a26e5.jpg
Id love to do a trade with you if you've still got this rock going.

My bounced Rock
PXL_20210508_043201823.MP.jpg

MixedFruitBasket

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "bounce" is equivalent to cancer. I have bounce shrooms love them! A fish store owner was talking to me about them one day and said it's like how we get tumers from cancer that's the mushrooms form of cancer...

I'm quite confident a bubble on a mushroom doesn't have anything to do with cancer or how cancer works. I think the LFS employee might have been greatly mistaken.

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm quite confident a bubble on a mushroom doesn't have anything to do with cancer or how cancer works. I think the LFS employee might have been greatly mistaken.

I'm quite confident a bubble on a mushroom is a result of cancer, but I have no scientific evidence of this statement. lol j/k. Mushroom cancer or not, it does look cool.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone got a spare UV laser and time for a more hands on experiment?

Or maybe just putting a bunch of shrooms in a water bowl with a uv lamp over it once aweek

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm confident spectrum plays a huge roll in making shrooms bounce. I've been experimenting a bit lately with different spectrums and there is no question high intensity violet/uv, royal and maybe deep red all bring out bounce like texture/bubbles on caps of shrooms. Nearly all my shrooms are either bouncing or acting like they are going to or want to bounce at this point. Minus a few that actually prefer the brighter more full spectrums.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone got a spare UV laser and time for a more hands on experiment?

Or maybe just putting a bunch of shrooms in a water bowl with a uv lamp over it once aweek
Id love to see this experiment. I do think its already being proven with reefers running high intensity blues and in alot of instances mostly blues with hardly any other color mixed in.
Whats interesting is divers/wholesalers are pulling some of these bounces out of ocean already bouncing crazy.
I am absoloutely seeing majority of my shrooms need but don't want alot of brighter intense spectrum. And prefer the darker blue spectrums to thrive.
Seems natural and makes sense as I don't know exactly how much bright light they get in natural habitat.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I buy a mushroom that is bounced that bouncing could go away in my tank being I dont have same parameters? I never realized that all bounces were rhodactis and yumas. I have a yuma from UC that appears to be a bounce and wasnt sold as one!

. I dont understand how some mushrooms, for instance sunkist bounce always have bubbles even on babies and some take time to develop! I have noticed that alot of rhodactis are being sold as bounce and I dont see any bubbles on them!

I dont get how they can claim they are bounce. i would never pay much for one just because someone put that label on it. I bought a beautiful maui wowie mushroom the other day (havnt recieved it yet) I paid 84 bucks which is pretty high and I just noticed that it had bounce on the listing! Hopefully it will bounce because it has the prettiest coloration I have ever seen on a rhodactis and bounce would be a bonus!

I also bought a chickenpox bounce and its a tiny baby already has bubbles. I hope I dont loose them when it gets in my tank! I dont think it is a rhodactis but looks more like a discosoma. I guess I will know when I get it. I only paid 50 bucks for it and a reefkoi sunkist! He threw in a baby jawbreaker for 40 more! Right here on reef2reef!

Fourstars

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know about all that, but I’ve had babies emerge from under moms skirt already bouncing, or maybe bouncing is the mushrooms reaction to little light as they increase surface area? My understanding is that most rhodactis and discosoma are collected in shallow areas? These are just my observations.

tjsweldind94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a total guess but I would think they bounce under heavy blue because they are trying to increase their surface area to increase zooxanthellae production.

Going to experiment with this tonight to see if can create some tumor bubbles. LOL
Did you get any bubbles lol I know this is old but gave you enough time lol

freezie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a lot of people are saying bounces are like tumors or a cancer, they come from blue light, and older shrooms are more likely to display the bounce. Assuming these are true I think it would be worth exploring specifically the reaction to uv light which would be included in most peoples “blues.” Just like with humans, this wavelength penetrates our skin, causes sunburns, and can lead to skin cancer given enough exposure due to damage to our DNA. If these wavelengths reach and penetrate the tissue of the shrooms, they could have the same effect, causing short term damage that leads to long term DNA damage and the formation of tumors (although not the same as cancer or skin cancer on humans). This is consistent with people who say older shrooms are more likely to show it because the damage accumulates over time. Now your baby shroom that seems to have bounced even though it is young hasn’t had time to accumulate the long term damage. This seems to contradict this theory but if we consider that this shroom is significantly smaller and thinner than the others, the uv light would penetrate deeper into the tissue relatively and may have had a stronger and therefore faster impact. A great way to test this would be if anyone has newer gen radions on their tank because they have true UV spectrum diodes and the options to control them separately. If you could dial just the uv channel up on one of the radions over a tank of shrooms and leave the others the same then you could tell if that is specifically the cause. Overall I think it is safe to say that bounce shrooms are indeed normal shrooms that have been damaged and are displaying a response to that damage.
Old thread, I know, but our LEDs emit UVA light at best, and in minor quantities. From what I understand Metal Halides emit the most light in the UV spectrum. But I do agree with your reasoning. I think an additional mechanism that might lead to a benign growth is repeat trauma in the same area or constant physical irritation. The higher the cellular turnover the higher the chance for atypical growth.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back