I think it really just depends how they react to certain lights and intensities
1dadfd8cac45b0efa78690cea008ea10.jpg
9e1d054585053c71c9e7ac850d9526ee.jpg

Ds04384

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a lot of people are saying bounces are like tumors or a cancer, they come from blue light, and older shrooms are more likely to display the bounce. Assuming these are true I think it would be worth exploring specifically the reaction to uv light which would be included in most peoples “blues.” Just like with humans, this wavelength penetrates our skin, causes sunburns, and can lead to skin cancer given enough exposure due to damage to our DNA. If these wavelengths reach and penetrate the tissue of the shrooms, they could have the same effect, causing short term damage that leads to long term DNA damage and the formation of tumors (although not the same as cancer or skin cancer on humans). This is consistent with people who say older shrooms are more likely to show it because the damage accumulates over time. Now your baby shroom that seems to have bounced even though it is young hasn’t had time to accumulate the long term damage. This seems to contradict this theory but if we consider that this shroom is significantly smaller and thinner than the others, the uv light would penetrate deeper into the tissue relatively and may have had a stronger and therefore faster impact. A great way to test this would be if anyone has newer gen radions on their tank because they have true UV spectrum diodes and the options to control them separately. If you could dial just the uv channel up on one of the radions over a tank of shrooms and leave the others the same then you could tell if that is specifically the cause. Overall I think it is safe to say that bounce shrooms are indeed normal shrooms that have been damaged and are displaying a response to that damage.

ShaunRobinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is a "bounced" mushroom? How does it differ from non bounced shrooms

A bounced mushroom is one that develops bubbles on the top. It’s also one that a lot of mugs pay silly money for!:rolleyes:

When I bought my mushroom colony, most of them were showing bounce but the bubbles have since disappeared. Imagine paying $500 for a bounce then getting it home for it just to return to normal. Haha.:D

mckinney0171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of sad that people pay premium prices for corals that have tumors / biological damage done to them on purpose. Sort of inhumane as well.

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems to me that the “true” bounce shrooms are genetically changed because it’s pretty much a guarantee that babies will bounce even at an early age.

Sometimes there are shrooms that after a long time will bounce but then the babies don’t.

Ds04384

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems to me that the “true” bounce shrooms are genetically changed because it’s pretty much a guarantee that babies will bounce even at an early age.

Sometimes there are shrooms that after a long time will bounce but then the babies don’t.

UV light causes damage by damaging DNA at a cellular level. Since shrooms reproduce by cloning themselves the damaged DNA would always be passed down. Could be that part of a shroom has damage and starts to bounce but another is undamaged. If that undamaged part buds off and produces a baby then the baby would be fine. However, given enough time, the damage could be more extensive and increase the probability of a baby being a bounce to a near certainty.

wish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was wondering if I buy one of these bounce mushroom $ that isn't wwc bounce there is a chance that bubble will be flat over time since I don't run the same light nor water conditions?

Steve_Skullsplitter0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of sad that people pay premium prices for corals that have tumors / biological damage done to them on purpose. Sort of inhumane as well.
Well I guess you don't have to buy any. I think they are beautiful and unique. I treat my bounces and other inhabitants like they are kings.

TAL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if I buy one of these bounce mushroom $ that isn't wwc bounce there is a chance that bubble will be flat over time since I don't run the same light nor water conditions?
Yes there is a chance. It has been shown by hobbyists that bounced shrooms can lose their bounce. It has also been shown that the bounce can be lost and later bounce again. Bounce mushrooms have been around for many years now and there is no scientific data as to why shrooms bounce; only speculation. I personally do not believe they are bouncing because of a cancer-like reaction.

King_wizards_reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it does have to do with lighting. Maybe true about nitrate spikes to. I have nuclear sunset discosoma that developed bounce stripes. At one point I had it under high blue par and holy crap did the stripes bounce and they turned a florescent purple. Move them to lower light and it went away. I want to do it again and see if I can re-inact it again.

Rome

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started doing abit of research and i just notice my green recordea is starting to bounce wich i find quite interesting see the bubbles

0B202098-6B69-4950-B248-47CF0C00B950.jpeg

Rome

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right bellow i have some regular dar green shrooms that are showing what seems to be black bubbles

E2B7CA36-6ED1-486E-99D0-B33CFF9AFE8D.jpeg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 38 31.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back