How to change from freshwater to salterwater

krystalstarr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Want to upgrade to a 180 gallon. Found one used online. Was used as a fresh water tank
Want to know what I need to make this a salt water set up. (FOWLR)
Is the filter good enough?
Light need changing?

I’ll copy the description in the post and the photos:

180 gallon acrylic fish tank, in great condition, up and running, tank stand canopy, digital heaters, led lighting and 2 filter one fx5 and one fx6

6EFF9B3D-EFEC-4F18-92B2-887C73F3BA4F.png 86D28D2B-24D6-4C0D-9A6A-17BFC9E9D78F.png EDCDD25F-BADC-4FE7-949F-E0808C3B7E2D.png 5717A238-2AD0-4B41-9597-BB091F80AE86.png 31C9D504-BBD3-4034-AFFF-2283EB75EC34.png

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish only tank that stuff should be fine. Add sand rock and salt and your ready to cycle, replace all the filter media with new stuff clean the tank,

flyingscampi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the equipment associated with a saltwater tank require a sump. Nitrate management is difficult without a sump as you can't have a skimmer, algae scrubber, or refugium, and carbon dosing usually requires a skimmer. I had a cannister filter on my last setup and water changes were the only way to control nitrates, but it was a small tank so this wasn't an issue.

Also, dosers, heating equipment, top off equipment, etc., will all be hanging off your display tank.

It will probably be easier and probably cheaper to buy a second hand saltwater setup with a sump.

RJT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the equipment associated with a saltwater tank require a sump. Nitrate management is difficult without a sump as you can't have a skimmer, algae scrubber, or refugium, and carbon dosing usually requires a skimmer. I had a cannister filter on my last setup and water changes were the only way to control nitrates, but it was a small tank so this wasn't an issue.

Also, dosers, heating equipment, top off equipment, etc., will all be hanging off your display tank.

It will probably be easier and probably cheaper to buy a second hand saltwater setup with a sump.

@flyingscamp opinion is on point. Buying a used saltwater setup is best in the long run, especially since this is a large tank that you will have for years. Having a sump allows for options with maintaining the tank. I got a 220g that I drilled, lasted over a decade. If it wasn't drilled I would have replaced it a few years later.

OP
OP
K

krystalstarr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@flyingscamp opinion is on point. Buying a used saltwater setup is best in the long run, especially since this is a large tank that you will have for years. Having a sump allows for options with maintaining the tank. I got a 220g that I drilled, lasted over a decade. If it wasn't drilled I would have replaced it a few years later.
Thanks for all the info. Can I eventually put a sump to replace these filters in this tank?

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the info. Can I eventually put a sump to replace these filters in this tank?
you can, if you plan to drill, I would definitely figure out if the panels are tempered. Otherwise you will need to buy a new tank in the future. Otherwise you could do a hang on the back overflow, but that is not the preferred choice for most people.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are doing a fowlr tank, you dont need a sump. I run my 180 fowlr with a fluval fx6 and a tidal 100. I understand the want for a sump, which is great for a reef, but a fowlr saltwater tank really isnt all that different from a freshwater tank.

Pick your salt, youve got filtration. Any lights work, and get some dependable heaters, Spend your money on rock and sand. Boom. Saltwater Fowlr tank.

OP
OP
K

krystalstarr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can, if you plan to drill, I would definitely figure out if the panels are tempered. Otherwise you will need to buy a new tank in the future. Otherwise you could do a hang on the back overflow, but that is not the preferred choice for most people.
It’s acrylic tank

OP
OP
K

krystalstarr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are doing a fowlr tank, you dont need a sump. I run my 180 fowlr with a fluval fx6 and a tidal 100. I understand the want for a sump, which is great for a reef, but a fowlr saltwater tank really isnt all that different from a freshwater tank.

Pick your salt, youve got filtration. Any lights work, and get some dependable heaters, Spend your money on rock and sand. Boom. Saltwater Fowlr tank.
Thanks for this!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 41 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 160 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back