How To Choose A Dipping Method

DannyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you treat your coral?

Let's get some discussion on What dipping methods work for certain situations and especially what methods to avoid in others.If we can I would like to update this thread with guidelines for when the following dips would and would not be used and and pros and cons of using them. So if you have information on one of these dips or if you know of another dip you don't see here please post it.

Lugol's Solution
Coral RX
Revive
Bayer's
Interceptor
H2O2

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a combination of Lugols, Flatworm exit, Revive or Coral Rx. If I dip sps, I will get intereceptor in there too. If I see damage, I watch in case I need to dip in antibiotic.

Zoas, I will sometimes use peroxide.

OP
OP
DannyB

DannyB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a combination of Lugols, Flatworm exit, Revive or Coral Rx. If I dip sps, I will get intereceptor in there too. If I see damage, I watch in case I need to dip in antibiotic.

Zoas, I will sometimes use peroxide.

Is there any time or specific corals you would use one over the other? Or if you see something specific on a coral?

Merck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I USE REVIVE BUT I JUST GOT SOME FREE SAMPLE PACKS FROM CORAL Rx, AS FAR AS THE REVIVE IT WORK'S NO PROBLEMS, I DID LOSE SOME SUN CORAL BUT I CAN'T SAY IF
I SHOOK IT TO HARD OR IT WAS THE REVIVE. I HAVE NOT USED THE HOME DEPOT METHOD, I TRY TO HELP THE VENDORS THAT HELP US IF I CAN.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any time or specific corals you would use one over the other? Or if you see something specific on a coral?

I have had rather good success with all corals I have tried with the three ingredients listed (lugols, coral rx/revive, flatworm exit). However, with sps, I usually do a lower dose of lugols and with leathers a heavier dose. I have not tried nps yet with any combination. Normally I soak only 3-5 minutes, swish and rinse.

I inspect the pieces pretty well and will remove the plugs if not encrusted and either use new ones or glue to rocks. I hate plugs really. :) I have not run across too many issues with my corals. I did find a weird snail last night while dipping my new ones, but got it off.

Oh, clams I will dip only in lugols. then inspect very carefully.

Revive I will use after I frag something and Rx usually as a dip, but really I think they are almost the same product. Smell the same anyway. :)

ss95003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used several dips and Bayers seems IMO is the best. It's not hard on corals and kills. Only down side is its a milky color and not east to see what falls off.
I have never lost a coral to a Bayers dip.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to use Rx, but after bristle worms repeatedly lived through the dip I switched to bayers. I don't mind bristle worms but if they lived, what else did?
*With all dips for new additions I drip acclimated first* I now cut off of the frag plug as well.
For bayers I cut the top off 2 old gallon jugs. I fill them with tank water. I add 10ml of bayers to one and stir. I then add my frags and let them soak for 7 or so minutes. The times up, I remove them and rinse well in the other gallon of tank water. Then they go in the display.
I've used this on zoanthids, mushrooms, acans, chalices, favia, acropora and smoothed skin acro as well like red dragon.

Have yet to loose anything straight from the dip.

I have used Rx as a medicated dip and is seems to work alright. I used it to stop an acan that was melting and stop stn on an acro.

watchguy123

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the introduction of a new frag of any coral, if I'm concerned about potential pests, then I use Bayer.

Or, I could just say, I use bayer on every new frag.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never used Bayer. What is the exact name of the Bayer stuff used. I would not want to get that wrong. Thanks for the details on how to use it!!! I may try this.

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bayer Advanced
BayerInsectKiller1.jpg

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For bayers I cut the top off 2 old gallon jugs. I fill them with tank water. I add 10ml of bayers to one and stir. I then add my frags and let them soak for 7 or so minutes. The times up, I remove them and rinse well in the other gallon of tank water.

So you're using at the conce ntration of 10ml per gallon?

DiverGirl82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used several dips and Bayers seems IMO is the best. It's not hard on corals and kills. Only down side is its a milky color and not east to see what falls off.
I have never lost a coral to a Bayers dip.

I've watched a few videos on YouTube about dipping with Bayer and they were all showing sps. Is it also safe for mushrooms and anemones? Thanks

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've watched a few videos on YouTube about dipping with Bayer and they were all showing sps. Is it also safe for mushrooms and anemones? Thanks

It is safe for corals. I wouldn't dip anemomes or clams as they are invertebrates and not corals. I've dipped, mushrooms, leathers and other soft corals.

DiverGirl82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is safe for corals. I wouldn't dip anemomes or clams as they are invertebrates and not corals. I've dipped, mushrooms, leathers and other soft corals.

Oh man, good to know. I'd have felt horrible if I killed the anemone from dipping it. Thanks

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you're using at the conce ntration of 10ml per gallon?
I cut a good section off the top. I'd say it's closer to 3/4 g. I used to dose much more about 10 ml in a cup, but read on another thread that strength isn't necessary. 10 ml per gallon killed red bugs, and that's what I care about mostly.

touchingstoves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
** for fish.. I didn't realize it was for inverts. I use formalin dips to get rid of external parasites and to determine if a parasite is present and methylene blue dips for ammonia poisoning.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back