How To Choose A Dipping Method

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever you do, never use malchite green on lawnmower blenny or sandsifting goby. It completely wigged them out and killed them. I have to assume it was that since I have witnessed formalin to not be an issue and they were not ill. They were just unfortunate enough to be in the tank with 4 fish with Brooklynella and got treated too. They both died horribly. I mean, really wigged out and nothing I could do about it. Very bad experience, but I had never heard of an issue before.

ss95003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is safe for corals. I wouldn't dip anemomes or clams as they are invertebrates and not corals. I've dipped, mushrooms, leathers and other soft corals.

I agree do not dip nems or clams. I don't have mushrooms but I would dip in bayers if I did. I've dipped lots of sps and lps with no bad affects, 5 min after putting in tank you wouldn't even know it was dipped.
I once had AEFW in my frag tank. this caused me to have to dip lots of sps over and over. I removed all AEFW and did not loss a single sps, that is why I stand by it. Other dips seems to be very hard on corals.

For clams be sure to inspect for small snails, there can be clam eating snails. but dont dip.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the Bayer dip do anything for algae? I'm concerned about pests, but I'm also concerned about introducing nuisance algaes too. I usually just do a peroxide dip.

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the Bayer dip do anything for algae? I'm concerned about pests, but I'm also concerned about introducing nuisance algaes too. I usually just do a peroxide dip.

In my experiences, no. A hydrogen peroxide dip (safe for zoas unsure of other corals) and some tweezers seem to be the best route.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back