How to clean Dinos from filter sock

Boss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
I'm currently using the 10 micron filter sock the filter out Dinos from the water column. This is my first time using a filter sock so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions how to properly clean the filter sock to get all the dinos out, or kill them, prior to reusing the suck. Thanks for the help.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
simple tap water rinse is fine. You'll see it visibly lighten and also the freshwater lyses dino cells.

OP
OP
Boss

Boss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
simple tap water rinse is fine. You'll see it visibly lighten and also the freshwater lyses dino cells.
Thanks, I was hoping it would be that simple, but wanted to double-check that there wasn't something else I should be doing.

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turn mine inside out, rinse in tap water then soak in 5% bleach solution about an hour(or so) then rinse in tap water again. Then I let them sit in a bucket of tap water over night wash with tap water again then rinse with RODI water. Needless to say I have more than 1 sock.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...or you could do that if you want your reef socks as white as your laundry socks :)

OP
OP
Boss

Boss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turn mine inside out, rinse in tap water then soak in 5% bleach solution about an hour(or so) then rinse in tap water again. Then I let them sit in a bucket of tap water over night wash with tap water again then rinse with RODI water. Needless to say I have more than 1 sock.

Thanks for your response. So why do take the extra step to soak in bleach?

jeffrey750750

Reefin in the slow lane
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always bleach them, I have a bunch of them to rotate. Be aware of skimmer to go nuts for a hour after changing them.

Micro-Reefs Aquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got the 25 micron filter sock going to just let the dinos sit in tap water for 24 hours then hit it with garden hose and let air dry in the hot Florida sunshine!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 166 61.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 26.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 70 26.1%
Back