how to clean filter socks

Barrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rinse them with the hose inside and out then when I get a bunch of them I wash them in the washing machine with bleach, then air dry. Then I soak them in a bucket of rodi water and prime then air dry again.

OP
OP
M

mfbs1998

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang a lot of good responses lol. I think I am going to use the washer for the sock but I am really skeptical about the bleach.

litenyaup

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put them in the washing machine with bleach. When they were done I built a pvc hanger and would hang them for a few days to make sure any bleach that's as left dissipated.

Tiger-Paws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I place mine in the washing machine on the sanitize cycle (1 hour and 45 min in 175F water) with soap and a second rinse. Then I wash them again on the quick cycle just to be ertain all of the soap is out.

Air dry and they come out looking almost new.

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rinse mine out, then keep them in a bucket with vinegar until I have a bunch then wash in hot water with 3 cups of vinegar with an extra rinse. They come out perfectly white no odor.
I don't have to worry about soap or leach contamination.

scurvy dawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am assuming all of you that machine wash your filter socks you are using felt socks? I use mesh socks and a simple rinse in the sink and they are clean.

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wait till I have at least 4 and put them in a bucket with bleach and water overnight. Then rinse well with the hose and let air dry. No problems here.

Saltwaterwannabe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rinse them out in a small 1/2 gal bucket in the sink then soak in bleach for a days followed by a good rinse then a soak for a couple of days in fresh water. I let them dry until they are needed again. Sometimes they are dry, other times they are not.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used bleach for years and never noticed any bad in the tank. The process took a lot longer before I could use them because I wanted to make sure the bleach evaporated fully. I never got over the bleach smell in the sock though, always made me nervous and even using prime didn't help the smell. After using oxiclean I'm never going back. The socks are really clean, no odor and after 30 minutes in the dryer they can go right in the tank.

Grey Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate cleaning socks, so I don't use them. They work great, but are a hustle to clean.

cincyfishguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put mine is the washer with a splash of bleach and some vinegar. Hot water with extra rinse and then put out side to dry. I like the oxiclean idea.
The dryer makes me nervous. I worry about fabric softener residue.

skysoblue987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I soak mine in a bucket with bleach. Then I rinse it out with tap water, then I soak it in tap water for 2-3 days. Then I rinse it with RODI water before letting it dry.

Back