How to clean sandbed without cleaning sandbed?

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have corals and clams throughout the sand bed. My tank is deep as well. Is siphoning the sand bed worth it? I have about 3 inches deep but I can’t reach the back because of rocks. What’s my best course of action?

my sand is currently white and clean, but my tank is new and I want to prevent old tank syndrome

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my tank:

Would you worry about siphoning this tank? If the benefits outweighs the struggle of siphoning, I'll do it! I'm not lazy at all, I just don't know if it's worth it.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I like this one for large tankers

tank is looking great, with preventative stick stirring it seems best way to keep it this sharp, nice way to study outcomes before hand. Any catch-up work is impossible in massive reefs you have plenty of time to implement a plan.

start easy, not big areas. You still have a little waste in the sand, liberate it slowly then consistently, small areas at a time

*initial starts can cause a little minor tradeoff algae at the start, it’s better than waiting years to begin at least.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pistol shrimp would stir the sand for ya, alot less work than doing it yourself. I have a couple conches that stir my sand.
Yep same, and brittle star, sand sift star, and sea cucumber...I also stir it up myself the odd time, maybe every few weeks, a bit here and there. Key word a bit....

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure to do your research though before buying a critter. Pistol shrimp can be PITA's. Stars and cucumbers will starve in newer sand beds.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cell agreed

don’t select anything that doesn’t have at least thirty pages work thread, not worth the risk in large tanks to experiment. Disease imports too, from live animals experimented with. If that big awesome tank was mine it’d prob be bare bottom but I know some fish like sand, and sand looks better than bb. *no doubt animals can pull it off, I recall the goby video where the mans sandbed was as clean as our rip cleaned beds, but it lacks repeating in massive work tests. If a few fish did it always, nobody above would be stick stirring

these big tanks don’t matter much initially, anything seems to work due to the dilution at hand and the clean start. But the key is watching other people’s huge tanks that matured them out, checking for patterns in outcomes not just ideal claims.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing to consider along with adding bacterias (microbacter clean, pns probio, waste away) is to dose iron (and other trace elements too) if you are concerned with hydrogen sulfide.

Enough critters in the tank and you shouldn't need to clean the sanded manually (my sandbed is 5 to 6 inches in some parts and only 1 tiny spot in sand is not cleaned. I have cleaned more sand than the average person would like to and I can definitely say that you can tell when a tank has the right clean up crew

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love nassarius snails. My tiger pistols pick them off though.

720 Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nassarius snails, conchs, sand sifting goby (if you don’t mind sand being dropped on corals). I have all and never cleaned my sand in 2 years. Pearly white

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back