How to connect IceCap Battery Back to Hydros Wave Engine?

peter blair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there an updated status or link that I can use so I can make a cable myself?

CoralVue_Marketing

One minute of patience, ten years of peace.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there an updated status or link that I can use so I can make a cable myself?

I will check today!

Sorry for the delayed response. We have been extremely busy and need to add more staff members to help keep service levels high and adapt to the growth. One new employee is about to start, not sure about the other... but position #2 will be helping with forum replies, which we can really use.

I'll see what they say and let you know!

Varible

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have their batteries, i just want the cable for their own gear.

peter blair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any updates? or has anyone successfully come up with a DIY wire

My conversations with Hydros is the V2 battery wont work (thinking it has to do with the 24v vs 12v) and they were working on a new battery and cable

It's rather frustrating as this was a must have selling point for me as my location suffers multiple power outages. I went with the Hydros to reduce wiring replacing the Gyre/IceCap to Apex interfaces that had a battery backup working successfully.

peter blair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I decided to look into making my own battery back up cable to hook up to my 12V V1 battery. First off I'm not an electrition so any advice guidance or pointing me to another forum post would be appreciated.

First off I bought some compatible GX12 4 pin connector plugs and test fit to make sure they were the correct size

Second and to confirm all 4 pins were being used I checked the line voltage of all the pine on the Hydro's battery cable and found two to be 24VDC and two grounds. I thought this odd but after testing the continuity between the pins I found no resistance between the two grounds and no resistance on the two 24VDC lines. I also tested them on the Hydros unit and found the same leading me to believe the two grounds come from and go to a common source as do the two 24VDC leads. I suspect this is done to provide enough cable capacity (via doubling) due to the thin wires used on the aviation 12 mm connectors.

Here is where it gets iffy on my part. First off I have other 24v pumps that use the 12V back up battery using the leads that interconnect so I suspect the 24v back feed in normal operation to the backup unit are perfectly okay with this. This being the case all I have to do is to spice the battery backup single 12V lead to the 2 Hydros 24V leads and repeat on the commons.

Any thoughts?

peter blair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the pass through cable I made ready to splice in the battery backup cable
20200907_154609.jpg

peter blair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hooked it up and under normal power everything works fine. The cable includes the splices that tied a battery backup cable to the two 24VDC + and two -. When I pulled the main power everything shut down and I could not access the unit via the app as if there was no battery backup installed. I reprogrammed the low voltage on 3 pumps to zero thinking perhaps there was not enough juice but still nothing. The battery checked out at start so at this time I need to start checking things like did the 24v back feed blow the fuse on the battery backup unit.

peter blair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'll be - the thing works!!!!

I checked the battery directly 13VDc and it powered the Gyre bypassing the Hydros
Double checked my polarities and found that when I sketched the positions i used the male but wire it up to the female first so had everything backwards. Flipped the polarity on the pump connections and presto.

Of note the Hydros takes a couple seconds to confirm the low voltage but did exactly as programmed (ran 1 pump). I may try two pumps just to prove it will work but I'd rather have the duration.

I'll grab final pictures after I test run it in for a while and clean things up.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back