How to controll phosphates and nitrates

hfa3501

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt try and shoot for ultra low No3 and Po4. In fact detectable N and P is good. I would shoot for NO3 of 2-10 and po4 of 0.02 to 0.08. These arent definitive numbers but a good range to keep. A lot of beneficial organisms and coral benefit from detectable nutrients in the water column. Without it they eventually die off allowing for more invasive and toxic species/algae to thrive.

Thank you for the input! So is there anythigng else I need to do, or just keep on top of water changes for the Po4 to come come down?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the input! So is there anythigng else I need to do, or just keep on top of water changes for the Po4 to come come down?
Can you tell me what your PO4 level is?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked it yesterday and it is at 0.36. I did a 10% water change 2 days ago....the Po4 level didn't budge
Yeah unfortunately, a 10% wc wouldn't change but 10% of that number anyway.

Is this new rock in the tank? old rock from your old fowlr? Has the rock stayed wet during transition? I ask because there are several ways of po4 reduction, some natural and some that require artificial intervention from the owner. If the rock is new, letting the po4 ride is always best. Eventually it would reduce itself via different cycles of algae. If this is old existing rock, you could use GFO or Lanthinum chloride. The skimmer will for sure help. Cheato reactor can be setup outside of the sump area and that can help reduce po4 and no3. Algae turf scrubbers can work much like the cheato reactor but maybe more efficiently. Sometimes a vacuum of the sand bed is all you need. If worse come to worse, always research. I've named some good options.

Keep in mind, your nitrates need to come up. Also if I could nit pick a little more, S.G of 1.025 is a better range than 1.024. And a temp of 77-78 is better than 80, imo. I say that in case something happens like, your auto top off goes crazy. Or your skimmer over flows. Or the AC in your house stops working. It allows for those parameters to shift without causing serious damage to the tank.

hfa3501

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah unfortunately, a 10% wc wouldn't change but 10% of that number anyway.

Is this new rock in the tank? old rock from your old fowlr? Has the rock stayed wet during transition? I ask because there are several ways of po4 reduction, some natural and some that require artificial intervention from the owner. If the rock is new, letting the po4 ride is always best. Eventually it would reduce itself via different cycles of algae. If this is old existing rock, you could use GFO or Lanthinum chloride. The skimmer will for sure help. Cheato reactor can be setup outside of the sump area and that can help reduce po4 and no3. Algae turf scrubbers can work much like the cheato reactor but maybe more efficiently. Sometimes a vacuum of the sand bed is all you need. If worse come to worse, always research. I've named some good options.

Keep in mind, your nitrates need to come up. Also if I could nit pick a little more, S.G of 1.025 is a better range than 1.024. And a temp of 77-78 is better than 80, imo. I say that in case something happens like, your auto top off goes crazy. Or your skimmer over flows. Or the AC in your house stops working. It allows for those parameters to shift without causing serious damage to the tank.

The rock in the tank was dried and cleaned prior to my using in this new tank. I soaked in saltwater for 24hrs before using in this new, bigger tank. The darker pieces in the tank are from the old one. I will get the SG up a bit, and reduce the temp by a degree or two....should I do another water change do you think? I thought maybe since I transferred everything (most water, substrate, and decor, and filter media) that maybe it was going through a mini-cycle

20170624_081551.jpg

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock in the tank was dried and cleaned prior to my using in this new tank. I soaked in saltwater for 24hrs before using in this new, bigger tank. The darker pieces in the tank are from the old one. I will get the SG up a bit, and reduce the temp by a degree or two....should I do another water change do you think? I thought maybe since I transferred everything (most water, substrate, and decor, and filter media) that maybe it was going through a mini-cycle

20170624_081551.jpg
Depending on how the rock was cleaned, it might be leaching po4. If the rocks weren't cured prior to setting up the tank, I suggest letting the nutrients run its course. Eventually you'll probably get hair algae or cyano. Again, let that ride and eventually the algae and high nutrients will go away. This is the best way for the tank to mature.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 43 22.9%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 109 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back