How to convert fish to eat pellets

Gatling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Age old issue, one fish will only eat frozen mysis. My 5 other fish absolutely love the pellets I feed. How would I convert this fish to eating pellets? For info, its a cardinal fish that's been in my tank for 5 months now.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soak in garlic maybe? But I would recommend this, pellets aren't a very good food source...

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What type of pellets are you feeding? You may consider pre-soaking the pellets. I have also found that the pellets from ME Coral are softer and many of my more particular fish take that more readily.

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of my fish touch the pellets even when I soak them in garlic or Selcon. One of my clown fish grabbed one today and I got a little bit excited but he spit it out just a second later. I only put in three or five pallets at a time and they are consumed by the cleanup crew. I have a Bangaii cardinalfish that has been in my tank for about three months and I have never seen it eat.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Age old issue, one fish will only eat frozen mysis. My 5 other fish absolutely love the pellets I feed. How would I convert this fish to eating pellets? For info, its a cardinal fish that's been in my tank for 5 months now.
Since you are dealing with a Cardinal, you only have a couple of options for conversion:
70c9d96f492dbdcd13d1bc7895d02269.jpg

OP
OP
Gatling

Gatling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of pellets are you feeding? You may consider pre-soaking the pellets. I have also found that the pellets from ME Coral are softer and many of my more particular fish take that more readily.
I have Vitalis platinum marine pellets. They're very small and quite soft. I'll try soaking them in the dethawed mysis and try for a week. My LFS told me they feed all their fish this type of pellet!

Soak in garlic maybe? But I would recommend this, pellets aren't a very good food source...
I heard that too but i've fed my clowns for over a year with this pellet food and they're quite plump (proud parenting). They do eat the algae when I scrape it from the glass so they have a somewhat balanced diet.

OP
OP
Gatling

Gatling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you are dealing with a Cardinal, you only have a couple of options for conversion:
70c9d96f492dbdcd13d1bc7895d02269.jpg
I see, ok I'll give the pope a call and hopefully he can fix things up. By the looks of it, the pope will be my only hope of getting this fish to eat pellets...

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why bother the Pope when we have @revhtree on here? :)

Come to think of it:

Every little bit helps!
(I hope your fish comes around soon. Kris)

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cardinal will only eat frozen. Not the best food for reef tank but certain carnivor fish will only eat frozen. All the omnivor, which are most reef fish will eat all kind of things. IME, and IMO you will never get your cardinal to eat dry food.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Vitalis platinum marine pellets. They're very small and quite soft. I'll try soaking them in the dethawed mysis and try for a week. My LFS told me they feed all their fish this type of pellet!

I heard that too but i've fed my clowns for over a year with this pellet food and they're quite plump (proud parenting). They do eat the algae when I scrape it from the glass so they have a somewhat balanced diet.

I don't doubt most fish will eat dry foods, and even get fat! I'd compare it to you eating only Macdonalds food all of the time. Not great food, but you'll definately gain some weight!

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't doubt most fish will eat dry foods, and even get fat! I'd compare it to you eating only Macdonalds food all of the time. Not great food, but you'll definately gain some weight!

No offense but this is just flat out wrong. A quality pellet will have all the nutrition you need.

The only fish that didn't eat them were eels & puffers.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which cardinal are we talking about? I only feed nls marine & probiotix. Banggai & pajama eat it no prob along with whatever mess the eel makes. Not picky by any means ime.

Have you tried to starve it out with only pellets?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not true. Show me a breeder who only feed frozed food I I will show you deformed fish. Good dry food will give fish the best nutrients.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not true. Show me a breeder who only feed frozed food I I will show you deformed fish. Good dry food will give fish the best nutrients.

I have to disagree. My fish eat a good assortment of seafood like clams, squid, shrimp, seaweed, ect, just like they eat in the ocean. Those foods give fish the best nutrients

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to disagree. My fish eat a good assortment of seafood like clams, squid, shrimp, seaweed, ect, just like they eat in the ocean. Those foods give fish the best nutrients
Fish need variety, but good dry foods are superior to frozen food. Most breeders feed mainly dry food to their brood stock and use dry food to grow out other than some carnivorous fish. Universally (almost) all the clown breeders use dry food as main food source.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys lets take a step back, I never said a word about frozen food, or what breeders use. Feeding fish the same natural foods they eat in the ocean is 100% superior to any of your dry foods. There is just no arguing that imo...

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back