How to corral a bubble tip

Bouldereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My family insisted on a bubble tip so I caved. It has now split into 4. I need help controlling them. So far they have stayed on the “aggressive “ end of the tank. Any suggestions on how to keep them fenced in. I would love to reduce the herd and take one or two to our lfs to help them out. I have not had any success in catching them. Ideas?

Evan28395950

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a nano tank, so when my split I knew I to get rid of one. I took the rock out and used credit card to get the anemone’s foot to detach from rock.

TroyClark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To remove mine from the side of the tank I used a powerhead with a hose attached and blew it directly on the foot along with a credit card to gently scrape him off the glass. It took about an hour because I was worried about damaging his foot. He is doing great 6 months later and has tripled in size but no splitting yet.

U

User1

View Badges
As noted by @TroyClark they do not like direct water flow and/or pressure. So your best bet is to direct flow towards it. Not high pressure, full blast stuff, but more gentle +1 flow directly at it. It will move. Then try to direct it to a rock you can remove or if lucky on a tank side wall use a credit card or ice cube to gently peel it.

We started with one reached a peak of eighteen. Forced us to upgrade from a 29 gallon bio cube, to two of them, then merge into a 40 breeder and now upgraded to a 210 gallon. Will never put one in my tank again :D

But please try gentle flow +1 notch higher and see how that goes.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
surround them with frilly mushrooms..they wont cross that line..I have a wall of frilly mushrooms in my tank...and the rbta's I have stop spreading east when they hit the mushrooms..HTH

OP
OP
B

Bouldereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After trying all the above except removing the rock I was not successful. Then last night I noticed the anemone had hitched a ride on a snail. Was able to pull the anemone out. Now no anemone but down one snail. It is well worth the loss!

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So one trick I learned in my LFS days was certain anemones (and only certain ones) you could basically "let them know you were there," massage their bases and get them to let go then scoop them up. I vaguely remember being told to stick with condys, LTs, and maybe sebae's(?) with this trick b/c you would get zapped by most others. We typically used this method to bag them up b/c it seemed to be the quickest and least stressful method to capture.

However, the only other thing we routinely had were typically carpets and there were arms in the tanks constantly so maybe they weren't bothered by it? This was 15+ years ago though so I am sure not a common practice anymore.

****Fair warning this might end up in the worst advice ever given thread so if this is horrible advice someone please jump in!!!!****

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 17 34.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 16 32.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back