How to deal with Bubble Algae

ZaneTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fox face for me. Never seen another one since I got him.

w2inc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found two ball of bubble algae today. They are very tiny and are on an empty plug on my frag rack. I have no clue where they came from though. I have not added anything to my tank in some time. I happen to think they're really pretty actually.

I've been thinking about an emerald crab for a bit too. Only because I think they look nice. Now that I have something for them to munch on, I may look into getting one.

Where does this stuff come from? Is it like other types of algae that will just start growing, or does it have to come in on another item?
I fought it for at least 2 years and couldn't get it all out of my system. I recently set up a new system with the hope of no bubble algae. It can grow with nearly any light. It gets under anything you have glued together and will slowly pry it apart. Constantly waking up to a nice sized frag that has fallen into another colony and both are half dead from burns.

I believe it puts out a defensive chemical that harms the coral next to it as well as stresses everything in the tank. My Lobo and Acan frags will start dying off when a bubble parks on their plug. When I had an out of control outbreak, I lost almost all of my Pocilipora for no apparent reason. Now that it is under control, the mystery deaths have stopped. I think it was the bubbles.

If you like it and think it is pretty, you could keep it in a fish bowl near your tank. It won't need a filter.

I was not able to control any of it with any natural predator. All of them eventually started nipping at, or just eating my corals. I had two small rabbit fish that fed almost exclusively on my Jedi mind trick. I tried everything. After a year in my tank I have one Scopas tang that will go after small pieces on the rocks. He also nips at my LPS but not enough to kill them. I had a sea urchin that would also eat at it slowly but it would also frag my Digi's for me and pull my frags out of the rack.

I feel like I have brought it under control. I have used a combination of a larger refugium growing Chaeto lit 16 hours on reverse daylight. I shortened my reef light time by an hour. I manually removed all I could. I put a fish net where the filter sock goes and manually scraped the bubbles off the rocks with a dental tool. In the morning the next day I would empty all the bubbles from the net.

The rocks I could get out of the tank, I took to the sink and scraped them there to avoid more spores in the tank. When I finished scraping those rocks, I sprayed them with hydrogen peroxide and let it sit for a minute before I rinsed them off a second time and put them back in the tank.

I did this over a 2 week period in three separate sections and sessions that took a couple hours. It would always end up taking closer to 4 hours because I would accidentally knock over a rock or move one and not be able to get it back in place. Many times I found myself holding a rock that I couldn't get out of the tank. I had no place to set it down without crushing some other well established colony and I couldn't get it to fit back where I picked it up from.

Most of my favorite large colonies have been accidental fragged up from the efforts. I treated the tank with Fluconazole at the same time and that seemed to help. There is or was a good chance that It was Derbesia as much as Valonia.

It has been about a month since all that, and my corals are looking healthy and growing fast like they did before the bubble algae take over. There are still some bubbles in the display tank as well as the Chaeto tank. I will do another sweep to clear them out and possibly dose fluconazole once more.

The new tank I set up to be bubble algae free sits a few feet from the main display. I found a bubble colony in it last week. Bummer! Could have been spores from the skimmer? Who knows, I did all I could think of to not cross contaminate the two systems. I still haven't decided how to deal with it. The tank has been cycling since Feb and I don't want to restart it. I pulled the effected piece and cleaned it off. I will take the system to 0 nutrient and dose peroxide for a while and see if I can starve it out.

If I were to offer you advice, I wold recommend that you pull anything you see with bubbles on it out of your tank and scrape it off. Try to get all you can from whatever it is on. From there use a Q-tip or a spray bottle and hit the area with peroxide and let it sit for at least a minute before you rinse it off and put it back in your system. Then watch it and make sure it does not come back.

I hope that story helps you make a more informed decision about what to do with the small colony you have spotted.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

aqua_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped seeing it once the amphipod population exploded in my aquarium. I had a bad case but seemed to go away after about a year.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fought it for at least 2 years and couldn't get it all out of my system. I recently set up a new system with the hope of no bubble algae. It can grow with nearly any light. It gets under anything you have glued together and will slowly pry it apart. Constantly waking up to a nice sized frag that has fallen into another colony and both are half dead from burns.

I believe it puts out a defensive chemical that harms the coral next to it as well as stresses everything in the tank. My Lobo and Acan frags will start dying off when a bubble parks on their plug. When I had an out of control outbreak, I lost almost all of my Pocilipora for no apparent reason. Now that it is under control, the mystery deaths have stopped. I think it was the bubbles.

If you like it and think it is pretty, you could keep it in a fish bowl near your tank. It won't need a filter.

I was not able to control any of it with any natural predator. All of them eventually started nipping at, or just eating my corals. I had two small rabbit fish that fed almost exclusively on my Jedi mind trick. I tried everything. After a year in my tank I have one Scopas tang that will go after small pieces on the rocks. He also nips at my LPS but not enough to kill them. I had a sea urchin that would also eat at it slowly but it would also frag my Digi's for me and pull my frags out of the rack.

I feel like I have brought it under control. I have used a combination of a larger refugium growing Chaeto lit 16 hours on reverse daylight. I shortened my reef light time by an hour. I manually removed all I could. I put a fish net where the filter sock goes and manually scraped the bubbles off the rocks with a dental tool. In the morning the next day I would empty all the bubbles from the net.

The rocks I could get out of the tank, I took to the sink and scraped them there to avoid more spores in the tank. When I finished scraping those rocks, I sprayed them with hydrogen peroxide and let it sit for a minute before I rinsed them off a second time and put them back in the tank.

I did this over a 2 week period in three separate sections and sessions that took a couple hours. It would always end up taking closer to 4 hours because I would accidentally knock over a rock or move one and not be able to get it back in place. Many times I found myself holding a rock that I couldn't get out of the tank. I had no place to set it down without crushing some other well established colony and I couldn't get it to fit back where I picked it up from.

Most of my favorite large colonies have been accidental fragged up from the efforts. I treated the tank with Fluconazole at the same time and that seemed to help. There is or was a good chance that It was Derbesia as much as Valonia.

It has been about a month since all that, and my corals are looking healthy and growing fast like they did before the bubble algae take over. There are still some bubbles in the display tank as well as the Chaeto tank. I will do another sweep to clear them out and possibly dose fluconazole once more.

The new tank I set up to be bubble algae free sits a few feet from the main display. I found a bubble colony in it last week. Bummer! Could have been spores from the skimmer? Who knows, I did all I could think of to not cross contaminate the two systems. I still haven't decided how to deal with it. The tank has been cycling since Feb and I don't want to restart it. I pulled the effected piece and cleaned it off. I will take the system to 0 nutrient and dose peroxide for a while and see if I can starve it out.

If I were to offer you advice, I wold recommend that you pull anything you see with bubbles on it out of your tank and scrape it off. Try to get all you can from whatever it is on. From there use a Q-tip or a spray bottle and hit the area with peroxide and let it sit for at least a minute before you rinse it off and put it back in your system. Then watch it and make sure it does not come back.

I hope that story helps you make a more informed decision about what to do with the small colony you have spotted.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
For sure. I didn’t realize it had so many side effects. The plug with it one it is coming out ASAP.

andyman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had bubble algae problems a long time ago too. Blue tang did it for me. And in the frag tank, emerald crab. Now the only places bubble algae forms is where the tangs and crabs can't get to.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Liquid Vibrant

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use to have a Blonde Naso that ate it, now my clown trigger eats it when he finds some. If I see some he’s trying to get to but can’t I grab the rock and hold it for him and he eats it all and thanks me.
FED1A4F6-FA5D-45A9-8DF5-E2E1BE65E049.jpeg

Csi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did once a week to rid valonia, then backed off to every two weeks for a while to make sure they were wiped out.

Thank you.
But did you did the normal dosis (1ml/10 gallons), or another one?
How many weeks, it took to get rid of valonia?

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.
But did you did the normal dosis (1ml/10 gallons), or another one?
How many weeks, it took to get rid of valonia?
It’s best to always dose the recommended amount, and adjust the frequency as needed. It has taken between 5 weeks and a really long time, can’t remember exactly.

Csi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s best to always dose the recommended amount, and adjust the frequency as needed. It has taken between 5 weeks and a really long time, can’t remember exactly.

Ok, I will do that.

Thank you for your help

Csi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Two addicional questions:
did you use a filter bag during the treatment? Did you notice any change on PO4 and NO3 readings?

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two addicional questions:
did you use a filter bag during the treatment? Did you notice any change on PO4 and NO3 readings?
I have not used filter socks, no. Once I saw N and P go to zero, another time they went up as measured by a test kit. It’s all circumstantial, I think. It is indeed good to monitor N and P though.

Csi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not used filter socks, no. Once I saw N and P go to zero, another time they went up as measured by a test kit. It’s all circumstantial, I think. It is/ indeed good to monitor N and P though.

Once again, thank you for your help.
I will control PO4 and NO3 during the treatment, but I don't like to use filters bag.

I have used some Vibrant (small doses/few time) and I have noticed some NO3 increases, may be due to algae death, so I am going to follow NO3 evolution.

w2inc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a final update. I used Vibrant every week for 9 weeks and that was the end of my bubble algae. My Chaeto in the fuge all died but the Mangrove trees did fine. It has been a few months since that time and I have added some emerald crabs. I have seen a few patches of 4 to 10 bubbles since, but they seem to resolve themselves. Basically my 3 (nearly 4) year battle is over and when I was using it my SPS looked pretty awesome.

Everything went seamlessly and it totally worked!

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a final update. I used Vibrant every week for 9 weeks and that was the end of my bubble algae. My Chaeto in the fuge all died but the Mangrove trees did fine. It has been a few months since that time and I have added some emerald crabs. I have seen a few patches of 4 to 10 bubbles since, but they seem to resolve themselves. Basically my 3 (nearly 4) year battle is over and when I was using it my SPS looked pretty awesome.

Everything went seamlessly and it totally worked!
Good stuff. The vibrant beat it back to the point that it can be naturally controlled by your tank.

wphan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emerald crabs have always done the job for me.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back