How to detach a clam from the rock?

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a maxima clam (I think it's a maxima) from Clam Mania at RAP Cali this summer. It's been doing well and getting bigger. Here's the issue - it moved itself between a rock and the front of the glass. There's only an inch between the rock and the glass, so it can't "walk" to the other side of the rock. Since 1/3 of the clam's shell is up against the glass, I noticed that the new ridges of the shell are growing up and against the glass, instead of the typical wavy form.

1) Is this going to lead to a deformed shell?
2) How do I make the clam detach from the rock without hurting it so I can move it to a different spot?

TIA

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a maxima clam (I think it's a maxima) from Clam Mania at RAP Cali this summer. It's been doing well and getting bigger. Here's the issue - it moved itself between a rock and the front of the glass. There's only an inch between the rock and the glass, so it can't "walk" to the other side of the rock. Since 1/3 of the clam's shell is up against the glass, I noticed that the new ridges of the shell are growing up and against the glass, instead of the typical wavy form.

2) How do I make the clam detach from the rock without hurting it so I can move it to a different spot?

TIA
Perhaps a picture might help? I was trying to visualize which orientation of the clam touching the rock vs glass. I've relocated my Teardrop clam from a rock structure before and all I can say is to be careful and take your time - do not damage its mantle by yanking/twisting! What you can do is gently pull the clam to have a good look at its footing. Use a bone crusher to scrape the rock bottom without touching its foot. Some folks had success with a powerhead encourage the clam to move. Others used a credit card/sharp object to slowly scrape/cut its mantle, closest to the rock. Ideally, I would just take the rock & clam and chip away, understand that it's not always possible. Good luck!

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TIA
You can sever the byssal threads with sharp scissors or a knife. Just be sure to do so as close to the rock as possible (as in as far away from the clams byssal opening as possible).

This does carry some risk to the clam though, so it should be considered as a last resort.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
K

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, decide on your next step: put the clam on substrate, standalone rock or "clam cradle" so you can easily move it next time?

It was on a clam cradle, but he walked out of it. I think it's trying to go to the side of the tank that faces natural sunlight.

OP
OP
K

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not very good pics, but hopefully you can tell how part of the shell is right up against the glass.

Attachments

• IMG_7165.pdf
    23.3 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_7166.pdf
    21 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_7168.pdf
    18.1 MB · Views: 19
OP
OP
K

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Attaching jpeg

IMG_7166.jpeg
IMG_7168.jpeg

IMG_7165.jpeg

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In nature their scutes are worn down by this very action, that's why most wild clams don't have scutes other than what's above the rock (for rock boring clams, maxima, crocea & noae). If you must remove the threads, do it at the attachment point far away from the clam or you could damage the byssal organ.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back