How to determine GPH sump pump

ctylermast

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 11, 2025
Messages
145
Reaction score
78
Location
virginia
What state or country do you live in
Virginia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m picking up this system this weekend, already has overflow installed, don’t know what kind or model etc etc. so idk what the gph rating is. My question is , it doesn’t come with a sump pump, I’m also changing out that sump with my 40g sump that I made. Anyways, how do I calculate or determine how many gph I should get, when I don’t know details on overflow.

IMG_3010.jpeg
 
5-10x turnover is usually plenty. Some prefer 3x and some will tell you that you need more.

So for a 40 gallon look for a pump rated around 400 gph give or take.

Dc pumps are preferred as you can easily adjust their speed up and down. So if you wanted to get around a 750 -1000 gph pump,you could then turn it down to operate @ 30-50% power so that it’s more efficient.
 
10x turnover is on a higher end, I would aim at 4-5x, but you have to take into consideration head pressure, so how high your pump is going to deliver flow, how many bends of a pipe. Many pumps manufacturers provide curves for that. DC pump is ideal, but more expensive than AC pump, so many reefers uses AC too.
 
So I’m picking up this system this weekend, already has overflow installed, don’t know what kind or model etc etc. so idk what the gph rating is. My question is , it doesn’t come with a sump pump, I’m also changing out that sump with my 40g sump that I made. Anyways, how do I calculate or determine how many gph I should get, when I don’t know details on overflow.
You need to determine the diameter of the pvc pipe/bulkheads in the overflow box. How many and what size.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 11.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new