How to frag a morph?

PaulKreider

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alas I am not the greatest person at cutting frags, especially when it comes to the small zoanthid polyps, often multilating many in the process. But I have noticed that there was a morph polyp in the middle of my 200+ Eagle Eye colony, rather than going in there with a razor blade and potentially ruining a lot of zoas, I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to get a single poly out of the crowd? It morphed with a green center rather than a black :) btw.

Any tips/ Hints? Also when glueing them to the frag plug, I always use eather too much or too little glue, any way to find the right medium? I/E how much the poly should be covered? Im still a new fragger so please forgive me!

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the most luck with zoa fragging when I can leave a little bit of rock on the polyp so the glue can attach easily. Whether this is done via bone cutter, razor blade, scalpel, or chisel it doesn't really matter. If you can irritate the colony enough to get the polyps to close, use a very sharp chisel and slide it right next to the polyp and "pop" it off with a little rock. Eache eyes grow so fast anyway that if you take a couple extra polyps out your colony will be back to normal in no time.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 124 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%

Back