How to get clowns to host

Aidan_823

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have recently went to ReefAPalooza and came back with 2 rose bubble tips and a hybrid bubble tip (I don’t know what the hybrid is) I just want my clowns to start hosting them asap. How would I introduce the BTA to the clowns?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine took every internet trick you can find and 2 years before any of my multiple nems would host the clowns. For all the trouble they bite me any time my hand is in the tank.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
….and a hybrid bubble tip (I don’t know what the hybrid is)…..
There is no hybrid BTA. Only very few BTA reproduced sexually in captivity that I know about.
I guess they mean a rose anemone that is not too red in coloration.
Pictures please love to see them.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have recently went to ReefAPalooza and came back with 2 rose bubble tips and a hybrid bubble tip (I don’t know what the hybrid is) I just want my clowns to start hosting them asap. How would I introduce the BTA to the clowns?
Hey there! It's hit or miss sometimes with clowns and anemones. Usually patience and luck are required. I suggest not forcing them into the anemone, and let them discover it for themselves for best success.

shadow_k

I have a kickable face
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0579.jpeg
Mine sleep where they please , the actually host my zoas they seem happy in there so I just leave it lol

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
It’s always so weird to me that people care where their clownfish sleep. Mine spend about a third of the time being hosted by an anemone, and the rest sleeping on top of the cleaning magnet.
I understand. I think people just have this idea (probably from finding nemo) that clowns would look cool if they hosted an anemone and would be happier. But I also don’t think it matters. My clowns seem perfectly happy without hosting an anemone.

juke59

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i got mine to host in about a week. at night i would catch her in a net then use a rubber glove on my hand and make her swim out of my hand into the nem. after doing this for 5 days she was curious about it. then finally found her sleeping in my nem one morning. about 5 days after that my male followed suit and started to mess with my nem

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What worked for me was to wait until lights out and then to spotlight the anemone with a flashlight; Oscellaris + Sebae. The clowns swam right into it.

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's really all about luck and patience. Sometimes they may never get hosted by the anemone and sometimes they are. There are some tricks to maybe speed it up, but I would just let it happen naturally.

My mocha storm clown was messing with my RBTA yesterday. It got a little sting and then flashed once or twice on the rocks. She decided to then just brush her fins against it. I think that once she explores it more, she'll warm up to it.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try turning the flow off and putting the nem in the spot the clowns hang, just be aware they walk around and might not stay. With mine Ive got several green BTAs and I just put them in the tank and both pairs of my clowns (maroons in one tank and davinci/frostbite pair in the other tank) took to it in about a week.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are mine

Attachments

• D934DF89-EB54-4D15-8845-305B193C9A71.jpeg
    D934DF89-EB54-4D15-8845-305B193C9A71.jpeg
    282.4 KB · Views: 21
  • FE46F629-2681-4592-AB71-0F7C9629A52A.jpeg
    FE46F629-2681-4592-AB71-0F7C9629A52A.jpeg
    156.8 KB · Views: 20

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 158 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back