How to get clowns to host

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have recently went to ReefAPalooza and came back with 2 rose bubble tips and a hybrid bubble tip (I don’t know what the hybrid is) I just want my clowns to start hosting them asap. How would I introduce the BTA to the clowns?
If you can catch the clownfish, put the nem and the clownfish in a small tupperware container (or similar) with holes for circulation so that the fish have no where to go but into the host. Once they have experienced the pleasures of getting stung and growing their slime coats for protection they will search for the anemone because that is where they feel at home.

If you can't catch the fish and anemone, then stop feeding the tank for a couple of days and let everyone get hungry. (If the fishes start eating each each other, discontinue this method immediately.) Then careful target feed a few pellets into the anemone. With any luck the fish will swim in to get to the food. Repeat until they move in for good.

Otherwise you can use a net or a hand to "chase" the clownfishes around the tank. Keep chasing until they dive into the nem for safety. Once they are in, keep lurking for awhile and threaten them every time they start to leave home. They'll catch on. (This method works really great if the nem is in a cornor of the tank, and you can chase them towards the corner.) Hybrid method of feeding a few pellets and chasing can also lead to positive results.

The floating container with circulation holes is the easiest for obvious reasons. Once the fish swim in, and stay, then carefully open/sink the container and put it in the tank where you hope the anemone will stay. IF you can put a rock in the container to sink it, or wedge it safely the nem can then crawl out and find where it wants to be.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi, I have recently went to ReefAPalooza and came back with 2 rose bubble tips and a hybrid bubble tip (I don’t know what the hybrid is) I just want my clowns to start hosting them asap. How would I introduce the BTA to the clowns?
Its up to the host to accept clowns and clowns desire to get close to intended host. I have 4 BTA anemones and 10 clowns and none of them go near the anemones. Occasionally a couple hang out in my hairy mushrooms, elegance and hammer corals as well as xenia

ReeferDog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had 2 maroon clowns that were my first fish 2.5 years ago. Lost one of the clowns 2 months ago (he jumped out before my lid was installed). I added a rose BTA about a month later, which she ignored completely. Remaining clown seemed like she needed a mate, so I found another clown at a local LFS hosting a sebae nem in the store.
The new fish began hosting in the nem within 1 day. Took 2-3 weeks, but original clown saw the new fish hosting and over the next week, started progressively spending more time in and near the nem, now is pretty aggressive with keeping the other fish away from the nem entirely.

So I would say it’s a combination of luck and somewhat of a learned behavior to unlock the instinct.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its up to the host to accept clowns and clowns desire to get close to intended host. I have 4 BTA anemones and 10 clowns and none of them go near the anemones. Occasionally a couple hang out in my hairy mushrooms, elegance and hammer corals as well as xenia
Sad, but they do what they want inspite of our desires.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back