how to get mushroom to attach to frag plug?

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys, I recently got a mushroom that came with some zoas and I didn't notice it until a week after zoas were tightly glued to the main rock. it grew and was stretching over zoa's denying them any light.
I removed it somehow with a teaspoon ( scraped it slowly) and am trying to get it to stick to the frag plug so I can place it elsewhere in the tank

I started with a frag plug in the breeder box but it kept going off the plug and into the breeder box's floor.
I DIYed a cage on the frag plug with the idea that I can just break off the cage once the mushroom is attached.

It's been days but still nothing. it keeps moving around but it doesn't attach. I even tried gluing it in hopes it would attach but no luck.
This is how it's looking now:
IMG_4948.jpeg

I'm honestly out of ideas. Could perhaps the light be the issue? ( since the breeder box is on the surface of the water), I had to use the breeder box due to the flow.

any suggestions would be appreciated, I want to keep it alive but my method isn't working out ( you can notice by algae buildup on the frag that I've been struggling with it for quite some time)
Thanks

zdrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait longer. It took 2 weeks to get a loose ricordea mushroom I had to attach to some rubble.

OP
OP
R

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait longer. It took 2 weeks to get a loose ricordea mushroom I had to attach to some rubble.
Hmm okay, I guess I’ll wait a bit more. I’ve been dealing with some cyano bacteria and having a breeder box that ruins the flow is a bit of an nuisance

OP
OP
R

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eventually, it will attach. It often takes a week or two for them to do so. I hope that this helps!
Unfortunately it just did 1 step forward , 2 steps back. Today it looked like it’s opening a bit and I thought it’s attaching,
Then I came back to it floating-.-
EB7CF537-A96E-4357-ACD1-AE4E9866E039.jpeg

barely got it to sink again. Do you know why would this happen?

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately it just did 1 step forward , 2 steps back. Today it looked like it’s opening a bit and I thought it’s attaching,
Then I came back to it floating-.-
EB7CF537-A96E-4357-ACD1-AE4E9866E039.jpeg

barely got it to sink again. Do you know why would this happen?

After going through the same thing many years ago, I was able to finally get a bit of a system that works for getting mushrooms to stick.

I use small PVC end caps and place some small pieces of rubble/rock/whatever you got in there. After a little bit the mushroom will attach to a piece of the rubble, and from there you can take the rubble with the shroom and glue it to a frag plug! I previously would put a small piece of acrylic/egg crate on top of the pvc end cap to make sure it stays inside, but over time I found that I often don’t need it and the shrooms feel happy in the cap! This approach has also worked for me when dealing with baby toadstools.

Good luck! And remember not to glue the foot to a plug, it’ll free itself or it will die!

zdrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, rubble/rock in a cup or something is the way to go for sure. Fill a small glass cup (or any equivalent container) 1/3 to 1/2 full with rubble. Place the mushroom on top of the rubble and place the cup in a low flow area within the tank and wait. The depth of the cup will keep the mushroom from floating out or moving around. You basically want the mushroom in a zero flow area while waiting for it to attach. Then you can glue the rubble to a frag plug if you want.

D E N I N O

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put it in a tub with gravel, use mesh to keep it in the tub then when it's attached to gravel glue it to a plug.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 39.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 36 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%

Back