How to get rid of aquariums algae for good.

djd3mon

Reefing since 2016!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This method is best for getting rid of pest algae on frag plugs but will work just as well on rocks. Getting rid of algae the correct way is not a quick process. It could take from 2 weeks to month. If you want the quick and lazy way to get rid of algae READ HERE. If you want to get rid of all of your algae issues for good…continue reading. This guide is based on my own experiences that I learned from Bulk Reef Supply’s YouTube Channel and Melev’s Reef YouTube Channel. If you are the type of person who needs photos to learn, sorry I do not have any, but I have something even better! These are the two videos I have learned my technique from. BRS Algae Video & Marc’s Video. I’m not going to lie to you and tell you this is easy. I was frustrated of my algae issue and tired of losing corals. I literally watched the 2 videos (and many others) at least 10 times each before I had enough and took action.

This guide will work on ANY algae. Hair algae, Bryopsis, Red Slime, Cyano, Cyanobacteria, Green Turf Algae, Bubble Algae, Blue/Green Cyanobacteria, Dinoflagellates, Cotton Algae and even on all of your Macro algae, etc. Basically any algae that is in your tank I will teach you how to get rid of it. There is no secret chemical, fish, CUC or even blackouts that will magically make algae die and disappear from your tank. Trust me I tried them all. Removing algae is literally “Just Removing it”. YOU have to use good old fashion muscle and willpower to physically spend your time pulling it out of your tank. I am going to make it way easier than just picking it out of your tank though.

Supplies you will need. (Some items may vary)
1. Brand New 10 or 20 gallon aquarium (Larger if you have a bad algae outbreak)
2. Heater
3. LED or T5 light.
4. Maxi-jet Pump (MJ400-MJ1200, whatever works best for your situation)
5. Light diffuser to make frag frack.
6. Freshly mixed saltwater
7. Phosphate Rx
8. Bayer (for dipping)
9. Multiple pair of rubber gloves
10. Toothbrush
11. Coral tongs
12. Small nano heater
13. 3-4 large flat container
14. 3-4 smaller containers (to rinse clean plugs before putting in large container)
15. Turkey baster (dedicated to your reef only)
16. Trash Can (For those plugs who are too far gone, or not worth saving)
17. 1 roll paper towels
18. Stainless or plastic forceps
19. Stainless Reef Bone Cutters
20. New (Unused) Frag Plugs
21. Coral Glue (I prefer Loctite Gel Super Glue)
22. Clean Workstation
23. PATIENCE, PATIENCE, PATIENCE!!!

Ok, let’s get started!! The first thing you need to do is identify the reason behind your algae issue. I’m sure you get tired of hearing this but it could be caused by overfeeding, not doing your water changes religiously, dead “something” in your tank, improper tank cleaning, introducing algae via newly purchased coral, starting up with algae/pest infested live rock and not confronting algae when it is just a small issue. Once you identify your issue you need to start fixing this before we even start “cleaning” your tank. Once you have this in control we can begin.

Take out all of your frag plugs/rocks that are infested with algae or those that may just have a little bit on them. Dip them in Bayer insect killer or your choice of dip. Make sure after you dip you VERY THOROUGHLY rinse the Bayer off your plugs and rocks. Rinse multiple times to guarantee Bayer does not get into your “Algae Battle Tank”. Now put your plugs/rocks in your separate 10-20 gallon tank. (light, water, frag rack and pump(s) already installed of course). Add the recommended dosage of Phosphate Rx to your tank. Dose Rx daily for 2 weeks. You will begin to notice Hair algae turning grayish. This is because we are starving the water off all phosphates and the algae cannot grow nor live. In my experience Bryopsis is the devil and will not die using just P-Rx…..Just FYI.

After 2 weeks has gone by it is now time to start using our muscles and test our patience. Find a clean workstation to begin the process of picking, pulling and cutting the algae/pests off of your plugs and rocks. Put on your gloves and grab your coral tongs. Grab a few plugs at a time to begin with and set them in a large clean flat container with freshly mixed saltwater. Using your toothbrush…well not the one you brush your teeth with, a new one of course. Scrub the life out of the reaming algae on the plugs/rocks. Make sure to scrub on the top, bottom, sides and under the coral itself to get rid of ALL the algae bits and pieces.

If you have large chunks of algae you can just pull it off and set in a separate water container with freshly made saltwater. This is also a good time to grab your stainless bone cutters and scrap off any visible pests. If you find that the plug is too far gone and not “cleanable” you may just have to remove your coral and glue it to a Brand New frag plug. Or if the plug /coral is just not worth the time to clean it, toss it in the trash. Once you have cleaned off all of the visible algae off the plug place it in another large flat container with freshly mixed saltwater. You may need to add a small nano heater to keep things warm if you have a lot of cleaning to do.

After all algae is removed fill up a large flat container with freshly mixed saltwater and add the recommended amount of Bayer. Dip your plugs/rocks in your dipping container for roughly 5-10 minutes. It is very important to dedicate a container for dipping only and nothing else. While your corals are being dipped you can rinse out your other containers. You will need them for the next step.

After 5-10 minutes is up take your turkey baster and grab some water from a clean container. Rinse off each plug/rock. Let the clean water drip into the dipping container. You do not want to drip Bayer in your clean containers. Put your plugs/rock in your first large flat container with freshly mixed saltwater. Next add those plugs into another large container with freshly mixed saltwater. We are minimizing the chances of getting Bayer in your DT. You now have clean algae-free plugs/rocks. It is now safe to put them back in your DT/frag rack, etc. I would buy a decent sized CUC to put in your tank to help control algae before it starts growing again. Turbo snails, Trochus snails, astrea snails, blue leg hermit crabs, emerald crabs, peppermint shrimp and a six line wrasse is my clean cup crew. There are many other options out there, just make sure to do your research before putting them in your tank.

NOW KEEP UP WITH YOU TANK SO THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN AGAIN SINCE THIS IS A PAIN IN THE “YOU KNOW WHAT”!

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

djd3mon

Reefing since 2016!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no "Quick" way to getting rid of algae! Read the post ya lazy bum! :rolleyes:

jenreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This method is best for getting rid of pest algae on frag plugs but will work just as well on rocks. Getting rid of algae the correct way is not a quick process. It could take from 2 weeks to month. If you want the quick and lazy way to get rid of algae READ HERE. If you want to get rid of all of your algae issues for good…continue reading. This guide is based on my own experiences that I learned from Bulk Reef Supply’s YouTube Channel and Melev’s Reef YouTube Channel. If you are the type of person who needs photos to learn, sorry I do not have any, but I have something even better! These are the two videos I have learned my technique from. BRS Algae Video & Marc’s Video. I’m not going to lie to you and tell you this is easy. I was frustrated of my algae issue and tired of losing corals. I literally watched the 2 videos (and many others) at least 10 times each before I had enough and took action.

This guide will work on ANY algae. Hair algae, Bryopsis, Red Slime, Cyano, Cyanobacteria, Green Turf Algae, Bubble Algae, Blue/Green Cyanobacteria, Dinoflagellates, Cotton Algae and even on all of your Macro algae, etc. Basically any algae that is in your tank I will teach you how to get rid of it. There is no secret chemical, fish, CUC or even blackouts that will magically make algae die and disappear from your tank. Trust me I tried them all. Removing algae is literally “Just Removing it”. YOU have to use good old fashion muscle and willpower to physically spend your time pulling it out of your tank. I am going to make it way easier than just picking it out of your tank though.

Supplies you will need. (Some items may vary)
1. Brand New 10 or 20 gallon aquarium (Larger if you have a bad algae outbreak)
2. Heater
3. LED or T5 light.
4. Maxi-jet Pump (MJ400-MJ1200, whatever works best for your situation)
5. Light diffuser to make frag frack.
6. Freshly mixed saltwater
7. Phosphate Rx
8. Bayer (for dipping)
9. Multiple pair of rubber gloves
10. Toothbrush
11. Coral tongs
12. Small nano heater
13. 3-4 large flat container
14. 3-4 smaller containers (to rinse clean plugs before putting in large container)
15. Turkey baster (dedicated to your reef only)
16. Trash Can (For those plugs who are too far gone, or not worth saving)
17. 1 roll paper towels
18. Stainless or plastic forceps
19. Stainless Reef Bone Cutters
20. New (Unused) Frag Plugs
21. Coral Glue (I prefer Loctite Gel Super Glue)
22. Clean Workstation
23. PATIENCE, PATIENCE, PATIENCE!!!

Ok, let’s get started!! The first thing you need to do is identify the reason behind your algae issue. I’m sure you get tired of hearing this but it could be caused by overfeeding, not doing your water changes religiously, dead “something” in your tank, improper tank cleaning, introducing algae via newly purchased coral, starting up with algae/pest infested live rock and not confronting algae when it is just a small issue. Once you identify your issue you need to start fixing this before we even start “cleaning” your tank. Once you have this in control we can begin.

Take out all of your frag plugs/rocks that are infested with algae or those that may just have a little bit on them. Dip them in Bayer insect killer or your choice of dip. Make sure after you dip you VERY THOROUGHLY rinse the Bayer off your plugs and rocks. Rinse multiple times to guarantee Bayer does not get into your “Algae Battle Tank”. Now put your plugs/rocks in your separate 10-20 gallon tank. (light, water, frag rack and pump(s) already installed of course). Add the recommended dosage of Phosphate Rx to your tank. Dose Rx daily for 2 weeks. You will begin to notice Hair algae turning grayish. This is because we are starving the water off all phosphates and the algae cannot grow nor live. In my experience Bryopsis is the devil and will not die using just P-Rx…..Just FYI.

After 2 weeks has gone by it is now time to start using our muscles and test our patience. Find a clean workstation to begin the process of picking, pulling and cutting the algae/pests off of your plugs and rocks. Put on your gloves and grab your coral tongs. Grab a few plugs at a time to begin with and set them in a large clean flat container with freshly mixed saltwater. Using your toothbrush…well not the one you brush your teeth with, a new one of course. Scrub the life out of the reaming algae on the plugs/rocks. Make sure to scrub on the top, bottom, sides and under the coral itself to get rid of ALL the algae bits and pieces.

If you have large chunks of algae you can just pull it off and set in a separate water container with freshly made saltwater. This is also a good time to grab your stainless bone cutters and scrap off any visible pests. If you find that the plug is too far gone and not “cleanable” you may just have to remove your coral and glue it to a Brand New frag plug. Or if the plug /coral is just not worth the time to clean it, toss it in the trash. Once you have cleaned off all of the visible algae off the plug place it in another large flat container with freshly mixed saltwater. You may need to add a small nano heater to keep things warm if you have a lot of cleaning to do.

After all algae is removed fill up a large flat container with freshly mixed saltwater and add the recommended amount of Bayer. Dip your plugs/rocks in your dipping container for roughly 5-10 minutes. It is very important to dedicate a container for dipping only and nothing else. While your corals are being dipped you can rinse out your other containers. You will need them for the next step.

After 5-10 minutes is up take your turkey baster and grab some water from a clean container. Rinse off each plug/rock. Let the clean water drip into the dipping container. You do not want to drip Bayer in your clean containers. Put your plugs/rock in your first large flat container with freshly mixed saltwater. Next add those plugs into another large container with freshly mixed saltwater. We are minimizing the chances of getting Bayer in your DT. You now have clean algae-free plugs/rocks. It is now safe to put them back in your DT/frag rack, etc. I would buy a decent sized CUC to put in your tank to help control algae before it starts growing again. Turbo snails, Trochus snails, astrea snails, blue leg hermit crabs, emerald crabs, peppermint shrimp and a six line wrasse is my clean cup crew. There are many other options out there, just make sure to do your research before putting them in your tank.

NOW KEEP UP WITH YOU TANK SO THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN AGAIN SINCE THIS IS A PAIN IN THE “YOU KNOW WHAT”!
I am confused???? how does bayer kill algae. It is an insecticide that works by hitting the nervous system of the insect. I did not know algae had a nervous system. Please explain.

OP
OP
D

djd3mon

Reefing since 2016!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am confused???? how does bayer kill algae. It is an insecticide that works by hitting the nervous system of the insect. I did not know algae had a nervous system. Please explain.

Bayer doesn't kill algae. Using Phosphate Rx will kill hair algae, then then scrubbing it off with a toothbrush will get rid of it. I dip my corals if I'm going from tank to tank. I dip my corals if I'm moving them to one if my other tanks just as abother precaution to not introduce any pests.

jenreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bayer doesn't kill algae. Using Phosphate Rx will kill hair algae, then then scrubbing it off with a toothbrush will get rid of it. I dip my corals if I'm going from tank to tank. I dip my corals if I'm moving them to one if my other tanks just as abother precaution to not introduce any pests.
Thanks for the clarity, I think.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back