violetjones

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Hi guys - this question for the reefers who have torches who have successfully grown multiple heads since being in their keep

(not people who just have torches alive)

What do you feed? What par and flow? Any other advice?

Top Shelf Aquatics

Cali Reef Life

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Torches are the goldilocks of coral you need everything in the medium range. Not to much flow not to little
typically they like 50 to 150 par with occasional feedings. You can use reef roids once in awhile and spot feed them but I think feeding a cube of meaty foods with Mysis is more then enough to let them catch them in the water column.

If you want to spot feed them do it at night when the lights are dimmer you can sometimes see their sweeper tentacles. Overfeeding does more harm then not feeding directly in my opinion. Just feed them occasionally and be patient once they start growing mini heads they tend to take off. I lost mine due to a tank crash last year and the hammer bug bit me so went with hammer garden instead but very similar requirements.

Saw your Video on WWC and some of your skits prior! Tank looks awesome I am sure you will have great success keep up the good work in the tank and out of the tank!

Last edited:
OP
violetjones

violetjones

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Torches are the goldilocks of coral you need everything in the medium range. Not to much flow not to little
typically they like 50 to 150 par with occasional feedings. You can use reef roids once in awhile and spot feed them but I think feeding a cube of meaty foods with Mysis is more then enough to let them catch them in the water column.

If you want to spot feed them do it at night when the lights are dimmer you can sometimes see their sweeper tentacles. Overfeeding does more harm then not feeding directly in my opinion. Just feed them occasionally and be patient once they start growing mini heads they tend to take off. I lost mine due to a tank crash last year and the hammer bug bit me so went with hammer garden instead but very similar requirements.

Saw your Video on WWC and some of your skits prior! Tank looks awesome I am sure you will have great success keep up the good work in the tank and out of the tank!
Thank you!! ☺

Top Shelf Aquatics

ryshark

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0

I agree with everything except for the feeding the torch mysis part. I saw a video a week or two ago from one of the youtubers (I wish I could remember which one) he fed several different types of corals and the torch didn't take the meaty food. It was a time lapse video; I'll try to find it. I've only had a few torches, but I never spot fed them and they still grew.

Last edited:

Cali Reef Life

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I agree with everything except for the feeding the torch mysis part. I saw a video a week or two ago from one of the youtubers (I wish I could remember which one) he fed several different types of corals and the torch didn't take the meaty food. It was a time lapse video; I'll try to find it. I've only had a few torches, but I never spot fed them and they still grew.
Ill give it a watch I use a frozen cube that's contains several different types of meat within it. Its like a blend with Mysis always good to continue to improve in the hobby. I only spot fed it directly with the roids figured it would eat some of the cube small chucks as the fish broke them down.

Tidal Gardens

ryshark

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Ill give it a watch I use a frozen cube that's contains several different types of meat within it. Its like a blend with Mysis always good to continue to improve in the hobby. I only spot fed it directly with the roids figured it would eat some of the cube small chucks as the fish broke them down.
Take a look see what you think, you can even skip to the euphyllia part.

Do you have any special reefing plans for the fall season?

• YES (tell us about it in the thread)

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • NO

Votes: 57 44.9%
  • Maybe

Votes: 19 15.0%
  • It's not fall where I'm from!

Votes: 6 4.7%
AVAST