How to increase my salinity

  • Thread starter Thread starter nzkiwi80
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

nzkiwi80

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 8, 2021
Messages
157
Reaction score
19
Location
New Zealand
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my salinity is 1.023 - 1.024, so very low.

I do weekly water changes, about 21L and have been adding around 600grams of salt, so not enough. I'm not sure why my salinity is not lower to be honest. I use a 22Kg old Red Sea bucket and fill it to about an inch from the top of RODI water.

Anyway, to increase. How many grams should I add for my next water change? how many grams should I add per day until I sit around 1.026

I have a 350L red sea reefer
 
You are in a good spot, mine sits around the same and had been for years. If that's what it is and it's consistent leave it alone. There's no static salinity in the ocean. It gets down to 1.020 in some areas and is straight brine in the more extreme places. Stop chasing numbers.
 
Just slowly add to your filter sock and check. But still that's well in range and I'd look in different areas. Again I'm in that exact range and I can't keep up with dosing and I'm filled with sps and lps.
 
After a water change I let it sit for about an hour, and test it again with refractometer

Of I need to add salt, I'll remove some tank water (about 2cups, after disabling the ATO) and add a little salt, then test it again til it's about 1.030.

Then I'll slowly add it to the tank, let it sit, and test the tank again (generally take the time to recalibrate the refractometer while I wait)

I only have a 15ga tank tho, but I would assume the same principle would work for you

Then it's just a matter of testing the salinity and adjusting the ATO to ensure it's doing its thing
 
The best and easiest way to boost salinity is to just replace evaporated water with new salt water. That ensures a slow steady rise and does not waste salt.

I personally would raise it, although I would not be sure it is causing coral issues.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 29.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 5 18.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new