How to install the Random Flow Generator - Support Thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

wcharon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi... I am contempling to get the Random Flow Generator for my 125 mixed.

For information, i have and i am Super Happy with the 3/4" Sea Swirl with the Educator paired with a Varios-6 Return Pump with 2 Maxpect Gyres XF-330 on oppsite sides.

My concern is if i should get the Flex Random Flow Generator and connect it to the Sea Swirl or get the dual Randoms just in case at one moment the Sea Swirl goes down only eliminate it and connect the dual? I don't like to buy twice so that's what have me thinking.

Also, if i go with the Dual and connect it to the Sea Swirl i am afraid it will go to long further on the middle of the tank. Price wise the Dual is less expensive upfront.

Thanks in advance for the advise.

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi... I am contempling to get the Random Flow Generator for my 125 mixed.

For information, i have and i am Super Happy with the 3/4" Sea Swirl with the Educator paired with a Varios-6 Return Pump with 2 Maxpect Gyres XF-330 on oppsite sides.

My concern is if i should get the Flex Random Flow Generator and connect it to the Sea Swirl or get the dual Randoms just in case at one moment the Sea Swirl goes down only eliminate it and connect the dual? I don't like to buy twice so that's what have me thinking.

Also, if i go with the Dual and connect it to the Sea Swirl i am afraid it will go to long further on the middle of the tank. Price wise the Dual is less expensive upfront.

Thanks in advance for the advise.
Based on your pump, and assuming its driving a single inlet in your tank, you could easily drive dual 3/4in RFG nozzles. But a single RFG, with that much flow behind it, will be wave-maker like.

If you think you might want to run a Single and possibly try out or switch to the dual RFG at some point then you are correct, the dual kit is a more economical option, especially since it comes with the Loc-Line and fittings

If you don't think you will run a dual right away, then the single 3/4in Flow Kit is a better choice - it also comes with Loc-line, and a few more adapters that the Dual kit does not include. the Single RFG flow kit has two Multidapter (2530 and 3035 series) making it directly compatible with both the 3/4in and 1in SeaSwirl. Where as the dual is only directly compatible with the 1in SeaSwirl, unless you add an additional fitting.

1694533839058.png
1694533847157.png

Or - for about $5 to $6 more, you can get the best of both by combing the single kit with a few extra items

You Could do the single 3/4in Flow kit

And add a single 3/4in RFG, and a Y fitting

1694534242040.png
1694534262982.png

This will give you the options to run a single, or a dual 3/4in RFG setup and let you connect directly to 3/4in or 1in PVC socket fitting like in an elbow or bulkhead. Plus, it will be an inch or two shorter than that standard dual flow kit.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We actually tried that a was back. There not much you can do in term of creating randomize flow with a flow pump - simply because they typical do not have any head pressure.

Now with that said, we did explore this at one point and created a version that worked and actually did randomized, but (and this a big but) - to make it work, we have to scale the RFG so that the internal jet was about the same size as the end of the power head. on a an MP40, that's about 2.75 to 3 inches. Everything scaled up from there, so it ended up being an RFG that was nearly 3 times length of the MP40 housing - which cot snapped on to the MP40. the entire contraption was long 6 to 8 inches long - it was kind of comical

If you just need a direction fitting, that allows you to alter the direction of the flow form an MP40 - I would suggest you check out 4D Aquatics and their Moveable MP40 nozzle attachment - there was a thread on it herehttps://www.reef2reef.com/threads/4d-aquatics-vortech-moveable-nozzles.1004296/
Interesting. I personally do not use mp40s as I have a couple of large tanks that both cost of ecotech and the output make them a poor choice. I have used your rfg on my 180g and contacted your company asking for 2 inch 1.5 and 1.75 inch nozzles with male threads for my closed loops.

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I personally do not use mp40s as I have a couple of large tanks that both cost of ecotech and the output make them a poor choice. I have used your rfg on my 180g and contacted your company asking for 2 inch 1.5 and 1.75 inch nozzles with male threads for my closed loops.
I kind of remember that - and we now have you covered for the 1.25 and 1.5, but still working on the 2in

The 1.25 nd 1.5 have been fully mo ed over to your new Flex-Series, and now come with a Multidapter™ fitting that will work with both threaded and slip-fit Bulkhead, Pipe socket and straight pipes.

The RFG will fit directly to 1.5in PVC pipe without the adapter, but with the adapter, you can step it down as well, and fit to 1.25in pipe. Plus, the Mulitdapter makes it compatible with metric pipe and pipe sockets s as well.

The website has not been fully updated yet, but will be soon - in the meantime, here are some photo so the new FLex-Series 1.5in RFG.

RFGS150-FLX_4349.jpg RFGS150-FLX_4346.jpg
RFGS150-FLX_4335.jpg

And these are the specs on the MD4045LL150 Multidapter fitting that this nozzle comes with

1694556829898.png

Attachments

• RFGS150-FLX_4341.jpg
    RFGS150-FLX_4341.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 33

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome news! I run 4 outputs, each powered by a jebao dcq10000 or mcd10000 return pump. They have more then enough output to feed the rfg nozzles.

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome news! I run 4 outputs, each powered by a jebao dcq10000 or mcd10000 return pump. They have more then enough output to feed the rfg nozzles.
Cool - send me a DM, and i can help you get the size you need, since the website is not yet updated. We are just waiting to complete the 2in Flex-Seris with Multidapter before updating the website.

wcharon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on your pump, and assuming its driving a single inlet in your tank, you could easily drive dual 3/4in RFG nozzles. But a single RFG, with that much flow behind it, will be wave-maker like.

If you think you might want to run a Single and possibly try out or switch to the dual RFG at some point then you are correct, the dual kit is a more economical option, especially since it comes with the Loc-Line and fittings

If you don't think you will run a dual right away, then the single 3/4in Flow Kit is a better choice - it also comes with Loc-line, and a few more adapters that the Dual kit does not include. the Single RFG flow kit has two Multidapter (2530 and 3035 series) making it directly compatible with both the 3/4in and 1in SeaSwirl. Where as the dual is only directly compatible with the 1in SeaSwirl, unless you add an additional fitting.

1694533839058.png
1694533847157.png

Or - for about $5 to $6 more, you can get the best of both by combing the single kit with a few extra items

You Could do the single 3/4in Flow kit

And add a single 3/4in RFG, and a Y fitting

1694534242040.png
1694534262982.png

This will give you the options to run a single, or a dual 3/4in RFG setup and let you connect directly to 3/4in or 1in PVC socket fitting like in an elbow or bulkhead. Plus, it will be an inch or two shorter than that standard dual flow kit.
Perfect. Thanks for the detailed explanation. Just for clarification the Return Pump is splitted with the Chiller but i have Ball Valves in order to reduce flow.

I think the last option will be best in terms of flexibility but i have another concern with your explanation.

I have the Sea Swirl in the middle of the tank so now i am still debating if going shorter is better or not as with the dual kit being longer i can reach and angle better for the sidewalls.

Your thoughts please. Do you think the shorter kit buying individual work with the Sea Swirl in terms of not affecting the motor or when it swings doesn't hit the back glass?

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect. Thanks for the detailed explanation. Just for clarification the Return Pump is splitted with the Chiller but i have Ball Valves in order to reduce flow.

I think the last option will be best in terms of flexibility but i have another concern with your explanation.

I have the Sea Swirl in the middle of the tank so now i am still debating if going shorter is better or not as with the dual kit being longer i can reach and angle better for the sidewalls.

Your thoughts please. Do you think the shorter kit buying individual work with the Sea Swirl in terms of not affecting the motor or when it swings doesn't hit the back glass?
Sea Swirls are pretty robust - i don't think the weight difference of a dual kit vs a singe will have much if any effect if on the movement motor.

With that said, given how a SeaSwirl works, a signal RFG is likely a much cleaner look, and will ultimately spread out that flow in a way that is works to fill tank with movement. - especially if you are over driving (exceeding the SOF rating) of the RFG Nozzle

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ultimate XL Return Line Upgrade Kit – Dual 3/4 Flex-Series RFG​

Does this attach to 3/4 threaded pvc ? or do i need to buy something extra ?
thanks

This kit will not connect directly to 3/4in threaded PVC fitting. However you could add a threaded 3/4in Loc-line NPT fitting . this will connect to the Loc-line in that kit and allow you to then connect it to a threaded bullhead or elbow

1697742128036.png

they are relatively inexpeive (about $2 buck).

OR - you could go with the dual 1/2in RFG nozzle fit - that eon WILL connect to a threaded 3/4in fitting, using th include 2530-Sereis Multidapter

1697742273747.png

Depending on the amount of flow you have, the dual 1/2in Flow kit may be a better choice than the dual 3/4in RFG flow kit.

For the dual 1/2in, you need to supply 650 to 750 GPH or more at the outlet

for the dual 3/4in kit, you aim for 800-1,000 GPH or more at the outlet

FlyinAg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, just setup a used Red Sea Reefer XL 200 G2. It came with one of your nice dual 1/2 loc-line return kits. The 3d printed adapter on the kit reads "25 75" which I assume is a 25mm to .75" adapter to go from the Red Sea return line to 3/4 loc-line dual adapter.

The problem is that the 25mm adapter is not snug on my return line. It doesn't have enough interference fit to stay on while the pump is running.

Oddly, I was able to use the straight piece of Red Sea return tubing that has the Teflon tape on the small end to make it work. (There is a picture of this piece in your directions that instructs you to remove it) The large end of that piece will fit inside the 3/4 loc-line and 25mm adapter and will actually stick.

I don't think this was the intent, and based on how deep that straight piece is fit inside the lock line, I have to wonder if it blocks any of the 1/2 lines.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, just setup a used Red Sea Reefer XL 200 G2. It came with one of your nice dual 1/2 loc-line return kits. The 3d printed adapter on the kit reads "25 75" which I assume is a 25mm to .75" adapter to go from the Red Sea return line to 3/4 loc-line dual adapter.

The problem is that the 25mm adapter is not snug on my return line. It doesn't have enough interference fit to stay on while the pump is running.

Oddly, I was able to use the straight piece of Red Sea return tubing that has the Teflon tape on the small end to make it work. (There is a picture of this piece in your directions that instructs you to remove it) The large end of that piece will fit inside the 3/4 loc-line and 25mm adapter and will actually stick.

I don't think this was the intent, and based on how deep that straight piece is fit inside the lock line, I have to wonder if it blocks any of the 1/2 lines.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Can you tell me if the adapter is a rigid plastic adapter (hard plastic) or our new Flex Sereis adapter made of a stiff rubber like material?

If it is the rigid plastic then moving to our newer Flex adapter will solve that issue

If its out new Flex Sereis Adapter than we may need to take a look at that and possible swap it out for our MD3035-75 Multidapter™ fitting.

Either way, we'll be happy to send you a properly working adapter for just the cost of shipping

Over the years we have found that the 25mm outlets on the Red Sea tanks can have some variance - as much a full 1mm. In extreme cases our standard metric pipe adapters may not fit snug enough to hold on under high pressure. This was particularly true for our older rigid plastic adapters.

To solve your issue, we actually have two adapters that will work in this case.

1 - The new Flex Sereis version of the RSR075LL
This is the same metric pipe to 3/4in Loc-line adapter that you currently have, except its made of our Flex materiel and has a wider fitment tolerance range, so it better accommodates the small variations that we see in the red sea reefer outlets.

2 - the 3035-075 Series Multidapter
These fitting will work in a number of different scenarios - one of which is fitting over a 25mm pipe. the 3035 Sereis as a ~25mm inn diameter and will have a very snug fit.

Send me a DM and we'll get you taken care of.

FlyinAg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me take a look again when I get home, but I am guessing it is the older rigid 3f printed adapter. I am guessing PLA?

Thanks!

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me take a look again when I get home, but I am guessing it is the older rigid 3f printed adapter. I am guessing PLA?

Thanks!
If it's the older, rigid plastic, it would be PETG .

You'll know right away with just a quick inspection and a squeeze. If it's not rubbery, then it's the older version.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back