How to install the Random Flow Generator - Support Thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Vivid Creative Aquatics
Hello, I would like to place a RFG on 3/4 inch PVC pipe, what do I need to accomplish this?
currently the only way to achieve this would be pick up a PVC female adapter such as this

then add a 3/4in Loc-Line NPT fitting

and then the 3/4in RFG nozzle would snap onto that. You could also add a few segments of 3/4in Loc-line between the NPT nad the nozzle

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
currently the only way to achieve this would be pick up a PVC female adapter such as this

then add a 3/4in Loc-Line NPT fitting

and then the 3/4in RFG nozzle would snap onto that. You could also add a few segments of 3/4in Loc-line between the NPT nad the nozzle
Thank you very much!

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how hard is the RFG to install into a locline? would i need a tool or a simple push will do?

Thanks
@TheHarold is correct - we desinged the RFG to be easy to snap on genuine loc-line with very little effort. They are also just as easy to remove for cleaning. However, when removing them don't pull straight out on the nozzle, but rather pull to the side, like you're snapping a twig. This will pout the elast amout of stress ont he nozzle and ensure they last as long as your tank.

NatD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I have 2 of these for each of my 1” returns, which will come through the top of my overflow weir.

I’ll be pushing about 1200-1300 gph through each.

I just read in another thread that the tops of them need to be 3/4” below the water line.

My initial thought to accomplish this is that I’ll need to notch out the weir a little lower and have my returns not quite as tall. Alternately , simply cut a 1” circle in the overflow where the return comes out, push the return through, and attach the RFG on the other side.

Should I be drilling a siphon break if I do either of these? Where?

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I have 2 of these for each of my 1” returns, which will come through the top of my overflow weir.

I’ll be pushing about 1200-1300 gph through each.

I just read in another thread that the tops of them need to be 3/4” below the water line.

My initial thought to accomplish this is that I’ll need to notch out the weir a little lower and have my returns not quite as tall. Alternately , simply cut a 1” circle in the overflow where the return comes out, push the return through, and attach the RFG on the other side.

Should I be drilling a siphon break if I do either of these? Where?
HI NAtD - thanks for the questions and i apologize fow the the slow response.

The depth will depend the nozzle needs to be will depending on both the size of the RFG and he flow rate. If hey are 3/4in in RFGs then that depth sounds about right. if they are 1in RFG, them you may be bale to get them a little closer to the surface surface . the measurements are based on Position B on the diagrammed in the first post

As far as how you should adjuster you current setup, a few photos might help me better understand what you're dealing with, Can you post a photo of the wire and return?

NatD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI NAtD - thanks for the questions and i apologize fow the the slow response.

The depth will depend the nozzle needs to be will depending on both the size of the RFG and he flow rate. If hey are 3/4in in RFGs then that depth sounds about right. if they are 1in RFG, them you may be bale to get them a little closer to the surface surface . the measurements are based on Position B on the diagrammed in the first post

As far as how you should adjuster you current setup, a few photos might help me better understand what you're dealing with, Can you post a photo of the wire and return?
Hello! The good news is that I haven’t plumbed the returns yet! We are fully flexible. They are 1” returns.
I’ll check out that diagram, thanks.

Last edited:

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently running 4 of the 3/4 rfg nozzles on my 180 gal powered by a jeabo dcq20000 return pump. Im very satisfied. In fact so much so im planning to run multiple of the nozzles on a double closed loop system on my 300gal build.

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I get the minimal and optimal flow rates for the 1.5 RFG?

Sure

Single 1.5in RFG
- Minimum: 900-1000
- Suggested Optimum Flow: 1,500-2,000+

As with all RFG nozzles you, the Suggested Optimal Flow is where you we feel you'll get the best randomized flow for the least amount of back presure. You should expect around 10-15% max at that rate.

If, however you OK with some additional throughput loss, and you have some pressure to spare, you can really get things rocking with more pressure and more flow.

here's video we did last year that shows just that, with some of our larger RFGs in a pool

Unfortunately for these tests , we didn't have any way of measuring the actual flow rates, but it was with an Abyzz A400 at varying levels of power.

InvaderJim

Chillin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running one of these in my 13.5 fluval evo and I love it. However I just ordered one from BRS for my 3/4” return line on my new tank and it’s so loose it’s unusable. Has anyone else ran into this issue? Wonder if the loc-line that came with my tank is junk

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never ran onto that issue but some linelock is speced differently. I think redsea is one of those companies

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running one of these in my 13.5 fluval evo and I love it. However I just ordered one from BRS for my 3/4” return line on my new tank and it’s so loose it’s unusable. Has anyone else ran into this issue? Wonder if the loc-line that came with my tank is junk

There are a few possibilities that can cause this to happen. The most common is that you may not have genuine Loc-line branded modular hose. There are at least 3 modular hose brands you may encounter here in the US - the most common is the Loc-Line brand. The next common is the SnapLoc brand, which is usually found on newer Aquaeon brand tanks and some overflow kits. If it;s SnapLoc, the nozzle will sort of snap on, but will fit very be loosely.

The easiest way to tell which one you have is to inspect at the hose. If it's Loc-Line, there will be the words "LOC-LINE" embossed around the base of each segment. if you don't see that then it;s s different brand hose. if that is the case, and it's close in size then you likely just need an adapter.

If it IS Loc-line branded hose and hte RFG is loose, then it may just be an issue with the Nozzle itself. It's pretty unlikely but not impossible. either way - we have you covered.

Send us a PM and we'll help you get this figured out.

Arjun88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Random Flow Generator™ Nozzle is the only random flow generator device with now moving parts. The function the RFG provides is created by it’s unique internal structure that leverages fluid dynamics to randomly re-direct the water as it exits the nozzle.

As such, it’s import that it’s installed properly to ensure the best possible results.

At first glance, one might think you would just pop it on to the end of the Loc-Line® and it would just work, and in many instances, this is the case. However, there are few tips that can both help you achieve a better randomized effect and help to minimize air being drawn in through the educators.

RFG-Installation-Guidlines-1.jpg

Single 1/2in RFG (RFG050 )
  • Minimum GPH: 120-150
  • Optimal Suggested GPH: 300-450

Two 1/2in RFGs (RFG050)
  • Minimum GPH: 250-400
  • Optimal Suggested GPH: 640-670

Single 3/4in RFG (RFG075)
  • Minimum GPH: 180-200
  • Optimal Suggested GPH:420-500

Two 3/4in RFGs (RFG075)
  • Minimum GPH: 400-500
  • Optimal Suggested GPH: 700-800

Single 1in RFG (RFG100)
  • Minimum GPH: 320-400
  • Optimal Suggested GPH: 720-1000

Single 1in RFGS (RFGS100LL)
  • Minimum GPH: 300-350
  • Optimal Suggested GPH: 500-1000
I need some clarity over that TWO 3/4in RFG- Optimal suggested GPH: 420-500. what does it mean? It should be the capacity of pump ?

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some clarity over that TWO 3/4in RFG- Optimal suggested GPH: 420-500. what does it mean? It should be the capacity of pump ?
Sure - the Suggested Optimal Flow Rating (SOF Rating for short) is based on flow at the outlet, not from your return pump. So, for instance, if you have a pump capable of 1,200 GPH at zero head height (the way all pumps are rated), but by the time flow reaches your outlets, the head loss created by the plumbing is 600 GPH at the outlet, you have 600 GPH of usable flow.

The SOF Rating is basically where we believe you get the best randomization for the least amount of back pressure. Basically, anything you add to a return line such as loc-line, elbows. flare nozzle is going to change the throughput of that return line. Adding a Random Flow Generator is no different. At the SOF Rating you should expect to see a 7 to 12% throughput loss, which was the target we set when doing our initial testing years ago.

When it comes to the SOF rating shown in that image, the the single 3/4in RFG SOF rating is 400-500 GPH, where as two is only 700-800 GPH. In our testing, These where the numbers we came up with based on that 7-12% throughput loss.

With that said, we highly encourage you to experiment. Overdriving a random flow generator creates a bigger more pronounced randomization effect, but at the expense of additional throughput loss. if you have head pressure to spare, then crank up the pump :)

If however, you do not have enough flow to effectively drive a particular size RFG nozzles, sometime it is better to downsize them.

For instance - if you supplied a 3/4in RFG with 500 GPH, it would do well pretty well. It would randomize and flow very nice with about a 12% head loss. But, if you down sized to a 1/2in RFG, it would be almost wavemaker like since you would be over driving in by 150- GPH or more - but at the expense of about a 25 to 40% throughput loss. What you gain though is more water movement within he tank because of the stronger randomization effect

This may be of interest to you - this is a very old series of videos we did over 5 years go, with the RFG at various flow rates. There one where ewe show the difference between the 3/4in and the 1//2inu RFG at 300 GPH.

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to see a clip on version for WaveMakers. See if they would be an effective way to increase the random flow from the WaveMaker.
We actually tried that a while back. There not much you can do in term of creating randomize flow with a flow pump - simply because they typical do not have any head pressure.

Now with that said, we did explore this at one point and created a version that worked and actually did randomized, but (and this a big but) - to make it work, we have to scale the RFG so that the internal jet was about the same size as the end of the power head. on a an MP40, that's about 2.75 to 3 inches. Everything scaled up from there, so it ended up being an RFG that was nearly 3 times length of the MP40 housing - which cot snapped on to the MP40. the entire contraption was long 6 to 8 inches long - it was kind of comical

If you just need a directional fitting, that allows you to alter the direction of the flow form an MP40 - I would suggest you check out 4D Aquatics and their Moveable MP40 nozzle attachment - there was a thread on it herehttps://www.reef2reef.com/threads/4d-aquatics-vortech-moveable-nozzles.1004296/

Last edited:

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 30 14.1%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 36 16.9%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 38 17.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 106 49.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.4%
Back