How to install the Random Flow Generator - Support Thread

OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
@Vivid Creative Aquatics
Hello, I would like to place a RFG on 3/4 inch PVC pipe, what do I need to accomplish this?
currently the only way to achieve this would be pick up a PVC female adapter such as this

then add a 3/4in Loc-Line NPT fitting

and then the 3/4in RFG nozzle would snap onto that. You could also add a few segments of 3/4in Loc-line between the NPT nad the nozzle

Victoria M

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
currently the only way to achieve this would be pick up a PVC female adapter such as this

then add a 3/4in Loc-Line NPT fitting

and then the 3/4in RFG nozzle would snap onto that. You could also add a few segments of 3/4in Loc-line between the NPT nad the nozzle
Thank you very much!

OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
how hard is the RFG to install into a locline? would i need a tool or a simple push will do?

Thanks
@TheHarold is correct - we desinged the RFG to be easy to snap on genuine loc-line with very little effort. They are also just as easy to remove for cleaning. However, when removing them don't pull straight out on the nozzle, but rather pull to the side, like you're snapping a twig. This will pout the elast amout of stress ont he nozzle and ensure they last as long as your tank.

NatD

View Badges
Reaction score
Hello. I have 2 of these for each of my 1” returns, which will come through the top of my overflow weir.

I’ll be pushing about 1200-1300 gph through each.

I just read in another thread that the tops of them need to be 3/4” below the water line.

My initial thought to accomplish this is that I’ll need to notch out the weir a little lower and have my returns not quite as tall. Alternately , simply cut a 1” circle in the overflow where the return comes out, push the return through, and attach the RFG on the other side.

Should I be drilling a siphon break if I do either of these? Where?

OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Hello. I have 2 of these for each of my 1” returns, which will come through the top of my overflow weir.

I’ll be pushing about 1200-1300 gph through each.

I just read in another thread that the tops of them need to be 3/4” below the water line.

My initial thought to accomplish this is that I’ll need to notch out the weir a little lower and have my returns not quite as tall. Alternately , simply cut a 1” circle in the overflow where the return comes out, push the return through, and attach the RFG on the other side.

Should I be drilling a siphon break if I do either of these? Where?
HI NAtD - thanks for the questions and i apologize fow the the slow response.

The depth will depend the nozzle needs to be will depending on both the size of the RFG and he flow rate. If hey are 3/4in in RFGs then that depth sounds about right. if they are 1in RFG, them you may be bale to get them a little closer to the surface surface . the measurements are based on Position B on the diagrammed in the first post

As far as how you should adjuster you current setup, a few photos might help me better understand what you're dealing with, Can you post a photo of the wire and return?

NatD

View Badges
Reaction score
HI NAtD - thanks for the questions and i apologize fow the the slow response.

The depth will depend the nozzle needs to be will depending on both the size of the RFG and he flow rate. If hey are 3/4in in RFGs then that depth sounds about right. if they are 1in RFG, them you may be bale to get them a little closer to the surface surface . the measurements are based on Position B on the diagrammed in the first post

As far as how you should adjuster you current setup, a few photos might help me better understand what you're dealing with, Can you post a photo of the wire and return?
Hello! The good news is that I haven’t plumbed the returns yet! We are fully flexible. They are 1” returns.
I’ll check out that diagram, thanks.

Last edited:

Shooter6

View Badges
Reaction score
Currently running 4 of the 3/4 rfg nozzles on my 180 gal powered by a jeabo dcq20000 return pump. Im very satisfied. In fact so much so im planning to run multiple of the nozzles on a double closed loop system on my 300gal build.

Is Reef Conservation/Stewardship a factor in your hobby decisions? (private poll)

• Very Important

Votes: 184 55.4%
  • Somewhat Imporatant

Votes: 107 32.2%
  • Not Too Important

Votes: 28 8.4%
  • Not Important At All

Votes: 13 3.9%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors